I'm at my highest and need to make changes!

Options
I have been overweight most of my life. The last 10yrs my weight has peaked at 274lbs. I'm ashamed of myself for not taking care of me. I'm determined to use this app and start taking care of me.

Replies

• grigglipuff
    grigglipuff Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You got this!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!
  • mckennasihde
    mckennasihde Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    WOO! Go for it!!!
  • almaddox83
    almaddox83 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You got it!!!!!!
  • nursecasg
    nursecasg Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was at my highest as well, but decided to just take that first step 15 days ago and am down by almost 8 now. Taking the first baby step and committing. We are all in the same boat, we can all do this!
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Same here! I'm just starting day 2..I'm going to try to take it a day at a time. Feel free to add me :)
  • honey_brown69
    honey_brown69 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to add people. Any protein snacks and ideas for portable meals please share with me. I work on the road doing health care and find myself eating twice a day. Early morning and late evenings. Then am so tired I crash. If to tired to cook I resort to cheerio's. All suggestions appreciate. Thanks for the messages.
  • markleeming
    markleeming Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just started today, room for another buddy?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @honey_brown69 To make a friend request, click on their username under their avatar on this thread. A pop up window should appear. Click on their name in the pop up window. Then you should see an option to add them as a friend. You may send a message with the request saying why you would like them as a friend, or a little about yourself. If they decide they would like to add you as a friend, they will "accept" and then you are friends.

You can take off one lb at a time just like you put on one lb at a time! Just don't diet, unless you are under the care of a health professional. Instead, make a food plan and modify it as you go, choosing foods you like and feel healthy eating. As you lose, you can tweak your plan and gradual improve your lifestyle and exercise tolerance. Weighing your food on a food scale rather than guessing or using measuring cups improves accuracy. If you commit to logging every bite, lick, or taste as honestly as possible, it will enhance your chances of success and make you think twice about taking "just a bite" of this or that...because then you have to figure out how to log that bite.

Good luck! You can do this!
  • swilfley
    swilfley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome that you found a resource to help. We can't do this alone. It's a lot.
    Don't be ashamed, no one knows what it's like to walk a mile in your shoes. My youngest step-daughter has always struggled with her weight. She's tall so it helps but trying to lose 30+ lbs as a senior in high school feels so unfair.
    Thankfully myself and Dad all need a little weight loss too so it helps balance that moment of wanting to splurge, just this once....
    I tell my daughter to listen to her body, don't eat late and move. She's trying really really hard and it's tough to watch her struggle. Our paths have made us who we are. Take control of you and find out what works for you. Not me or the person next to you.
    Good luck and I think it's awesome that you are reaching out and making your health a priority.
  • mekikya
    mekikya Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of low fat cheese sticks and yogurts to help sustain me during the day, and supplement with things like carrot sticks to give me the fulling of full without ton's of calories. The cheese sticks I eat are only 50 calories, yogurts are like 80. Nuts are good but they are so many calories, I just can't justify it, but that's personal to me.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to add people. Any protein snacks and ideas for portable meals please share with me. I work on the road doing health care and find myself eating twice a day. Early morning and late evenings. Then am so tired I crash. If to tired to cook I resort to cheerio's. All suggestions appreciate. Thanks for the messages.

Go for easy, high-protein foods. Roasted chicken from the deli is usually a good deal, easy, and lasts a few meals. Cheaper than fast-food too! Maybe investing in a good lunch cooler would help you keep some healthy snacks within reach mid-day, help keep you from going so long between meals?

I batch-cook on the weekends, and portion out the meat right away. Then I can freeze some for future busy days, and the rest is ready to grab-and-go from the fridge. I have some trays that I can freeze a meal in-- portion out the meat, add some frozen veggies and healthy fat, toss it back in the freezer for a healthy microwave dinner. The trays fit into a small cooler (I bought them as a set on Amazon) so when I travel for work I can throw a couple days worth of meals in the cooler and head out the door.

Plain Greek yogurt with some vanilla extract and frozen berries is my current go-to breakfast. I prepare 4 at a time (the big cartons of Greek yogurt are 4 servings for me) and keep them in the fridge, another quick and easy grab-and-go breakfast.

Logging on MFP has definitely been the biggest help for me. Be honest with yourself, it will help you see patterns of behavior that aren't helping you. Learn to like your body now, as it is, and go at this from the perspective of fueling your body, not punishing or restricting it. Give your body the fuel and nutrients it needs to keep you working hard and giving to others. Give yourself the same compassion you'd give your patients/ clients!

Keeping a couple standard meals are easier to prepare and plan for, and you can set it up on MFP so it's easy to log. I've found that more monotony with meals is easier for me, less stressful than trying to come up with new recipes every week.
  • SkullieBowPeep
    SkullieBowPeep Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up, better 'later' than never and YOU GOT THIS! :)
  • jlcanty74
    jlcanty74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not at my highest weight and for that I am thankful, but I have not been committed to my weight loss as I was last year when I shed a lot of weight and have put some back on... so I know how you feel. Life happened and that's no excuse because we always have to remember to put ourselves and our health first. While I can beat myself up and I will, it will get me nowhere. I need to get back on track. So I have I started by my food journal, made changes to my food habits, increased by cardio/step goal and will be starting going to Zumba 2 days a week. Keep motivated!!! There is no shame, because we realized we needed to do something about it and had the motivation to start. That's something to be applauded :smiley:
  • AIienNation
    AIienNation Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you can do this! I too am to my heaviest and beed to make a change as well :3
  • honey_brown69
    Options
    Thanks for all your great words of encouragement! I'm really excited to get this started. I believe that making a food journal really helps keep me on track. All the tips are much appreciated and always welcomed! Today was a good day but tomorrow will be even better. I have started my grocery list and instead of dreading shopping, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks to each and everyone for sharing their story with me.

• bchgrl8
    bchgrl8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm not at my heaviest,but can't move my numbers down, 215 seems to like me! I did take the initiative and spent about 3 hours at the grocery store looking for better/healthier options. This is day 4 for me, 3rd time on MFP, and definitely can use support and motivation. I've found lots of grab and go snacks are the key, anything under 100 calories is what I choose, cheesesticks,smartfood popcorn, pickles, olives, rolled turkey..just gotta shop! Friend me! Well do this together :)
  • navybrat822
    navybrat822 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I boil a dozen eggs at the beginning of the week. For a quick snack on-the-go I'll take a boiled egg and a half cup of Jimmy Dean's cooked turkey sausage and mix together in a ziplock bag. Tape a plastic spoon to the bag and I'm good to go. 160 calorie snack that's packed with good protein.

• honey_brown69
    Options
    Why can I not reply to friends messages? Or just send them one???
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Honey You cannot directly reply to a message that was sent by someone as part of a friend request. Go to the top of this page. If you are already friends with someone, click on My Home and then on Friends one line down from My Home. Your friends avatars will appear along with an option to send a message to them. If you are not friends with somebody, click on their avatar name on any forum and an option will come up to send a message. At the very top of the My Home page next to your "Hi honey_brown69" will be a tiny envelope which will tell you if you have mail. Click on the envelope to pull up new & old messages (except for the ones sent with friend requests, for some reason you can't retrieve those).