Why?

Options

Replies

• Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I am thinking it may be water?
    We have a pretty hot summer in Sweden and I've been drinking a lot of water, could that be the reason the scale is showing that I gained weight?

No, if you're well hydrated you won't be retaining water.
    It takes time for your body to stop retaining water when you increase water intake. How much time depends on the person.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    We have a pretty hot summer in Sweden and I've been drinking a lot of water, could that be the reason the scale is showing that I gained weight?
    You may be retaining water if you're near or on your period, though.
    I do, crazy amounts.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options

No, if you're well hydrated you won't be retaining water.

Well at least I had my hopes up for a few seconds thanks :D

You may have been dehydrated before as well if you weren't drinking a lot. Give it time and keep doing the logging. It sounds like you are making positive changes in your life and that will be a good thing in the long run.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Diary isn't open so I can't see what we're talking about...
    A person can indeed gain weight from water and hold onto it if they greatly increase their water intake and they were previously dehydrated, are hormonal at the moment, or have been eating high sodium foods and such. You can also retain water if you are exercising a lot but not hydrating adequately, because your body will store extra water for your muscles.
    All this being said, I'm surprised no one has pointed out the possibility that some of us, when we eat by hunger impulse or by perceived healthy habits, are actually eating much less than we should be, and then when we log or change habits, we actually increase our average intake per day. Any change of habit can increase weight initially, so you gotta give yourself a couple weeks to adjust before thinking there's a serious issue.
  • AngelicaSamuelsson92
    AngelicaSamuelsson92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Your #1 mistake - not having patience. You haven't even logged a full week yet! You did go significantly over your calorie goal one day, but you probably did not exceed maintenance. If you're close to your period or on it right now, the weight gain you see is very likely from that.

Stick with it. Give it a month. (Not kidding, it takes me a MONTH to see the scale shift any time I start trying to lose weight. Then I lose 3 lbs in one night and it stays off.) Just keep practicing good habits by weighing and logging, you'll get there.

One question - most of the weights listed are in even grams. 100g, 200g, 50g... When I'm logging things, it usually looks like 57g, 72g, etc. Are you putting all your packaged food on the scale to verify it weighs what the package says it should weigh?

Well it depends on what I drink or eat.
    If I'm drinking smoothies I weight everything
    Like 200 ml milk and 100 g Strawberrys
    In sweden we have a different scale then
    you guys maybe?
    It's like a little coup. And 1 cuop is 100 g.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Your #1 mistake - not having patience. You haven't even logged a full week yet! You did go significantly over your calorie goal one day, but you probably did not exceed maintenance. If you're close to your period or on it right now, the weight gain you see is very likely from that.

Stick with it. Give it a month. (Not kidding, it takes me a MONTH to see the scale shift any time I start trying to lose weight. Then I lose 3 lbs in one night and it stays off.) Just keep practicing good habits by weighing and logging, you'll get there.

One question - most of the weights listed are in even grams. 100g, 200g, 50g... When I'm logging things, it usually looks like 57g, 72g, etc. Are you putting all your packaged food on the scale to verify it weighs what the package says it should weigh?

you guys maybe?

OK, I just wanted to make sure you were weighing out those exact numbers. I was thinking about when I weigh out 10 strawberries or a chunk of meat - I usually don't get a round number.
  • AngelicaSamuelsson92
    Options

you guys maybe?

OK, I just wanted to make sure you were weighing out those exact numbers. I was thinking about when I weigh out 10 strawberries or a chunk of meat - I usually don't get a round number.

Well I am going to try to scale everything more detailed from now on and see.
  • AngelicaSamuelsson92
    Options
    Another thing.
    How do you stay within the calories if you have family that constantly eats food and candy in front of you? Really hard to resist it :'(
  • Colt1835
    Options
    Another thing.
    How do you stay within the calories if you have family that constantly eats food and candy in front of you? Really hard to resist it :'(
    Don't eat it. or eat it and work out.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Another thing.

Pre-log your day so you know what you can and can't eat. Try to fit in your favorite treats, but remind yourself that something you don't like as much isn't worth your calories. Practice saying the word "no" a LOT until it becomes easier. Try to find active things to do to get your mind off food - if your family members are usually snacking while watching TV, don't watch TV with them. Go for a walk instead.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Another thing.

Have a small bite. Eat a carrot instead. Decide which you want more, candy or weight loss. No one says it's easy.
  • AngelicaSamuelsson92
    Options
    This isn't fun. We just eat taco and before I was even close to finishing to scale everything my boyfriend was done with eating.
    How do you guys do it? :|
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    we decided our health goals were more important than what other people think or do.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    This isn't fun. We just eat taco and before I was even close to finishing to scale everything my boyfriend was done with eating.

Start preparing your food a few minutes before whoever you're eating with. Once you get used to weighing everything quickly, the whole process should only take you a minute or two.
  • Colt1835
    Options
    Dump that guy. A real man would wait for you to sit down with him.
  • AngelicaSamuelsson92
    Options
    OODone wrote: »
    Dump that guy. A real man would wait for you to sit down with him.

He sits down with me but he dosent scale food like I do.
    And that was pretty mean to say.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    It's all up to you. There should not be an expectation that they (those around when time to prepare food and sit down to eat it) do anything different than they have already been doing.. you (we the people that are dieting or trying to loose weight) have to take control of the environment around us, otherwise we would be consistently influenced by all things and all people around us and never acheiving sucess.

This is still very very new, the world around you will will be much different in a couple of week.. Give this time.

• Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Considering I cook, I weigh my food as I'm plating it. Then dump whatever is left on to his plate, lol.

Takes me about a minute to weigh my food. I do it with a plate on the scale.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There comes a time when you have to make some firm choices if you're going to meet your goals. Eat the candy (above your calories) or lose the weight. Keep doing the same thing as everyone else...or lose the weight. It can be tough, but once you make the necessary choices, it gets easier.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

This gives me so much anxiety sometimes myself.

I've walked away from dinner sometimes because I just couldn't deal with it.