Crossfit is dangerous.

Options
Hi -
New to all this and was thinking joining crossfit. Must admit I am concerned with what I have read so far. Is it just too dangerous?

Perhaps people should just stick to safer sports like low impact swimming as opposed to this?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Jumping out of planes or climbing up the sides of cliffs is pretty risky. Maybe people should stop doing that that, too?
  • Jayjay1989a
    Jayjay1989a Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Jumping out of planes or climbing up the sides of cliffs is pretty risky. Maybe people should stop doing that that, too?

I don't think jumping out of a plane is a sport? Wonder how much weight I could lose doing that? :wink:

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You can't be serious?

I don't partake myself, and if done incorrectly any form of exercise is dangerous but literally hundreds of thousands of people take part in crossfit all over the world. If it was so dangerous we would be hearly about non-stop fatalities.

I know many people who love it, it's not the type of training I enjoy but if you interested check it out Don't believe everything you read online but mess around training incorrectly you WILL hurt yourself whatever you choose to do.

ps. crossfit technically isn't a sport. You commenting about sticking to safer sports like low impact swimming has be strongly suspecting you are a troll. These two 'sports' have drastically different calorie burns and muscles used.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I don't think jumping out of a plane is a sport? Wonder how much weight I could lose doing that? :wink:

It's called risk and reward. If it's not worth it to you then don't do it. However, many people enjoy the rewards that come with those activities. And yes, parachuting is a sport.
  • Jayjay1989a
    Jayjay1989a Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can't be serious?

I don't partake myself, and if done incorrectly any form of exercise is dangerous but literally hundreds of thousands of people take part in crossfit all over the world. If it was so dangerous we would be hearly about non-stop fatalities.

I know many people who love it, it's not the type of training I enjoy but if you interested check it out Don't believe everything you read online but mess around training incorrectly you WILL hurt yourself whatever you choose to do.

ps. crossfit technically isn't a sport. You commenting about sticking to safer sports like low impact swimming has be strongly suspecting you are a troll. These two 'sports' have drastically different calorie burns and muscles used.

Why would you assume I am a troll? For posting on a forum about something I had read regarding a "sport" (or exercise programme, whatever) that I am considering doing? Am I not supposed to do this?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Crossfit like any activity can pose an injury risk. Much depends on the coaching at a particular box and how it it adapted to the individual.

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You can't be serious?

Why would you assume I am a troll? For posting on a forum about something I had read regarding a "sport" (or exercise programme, whatever) that I am considering doing? Am I not supposed to do this?

Keep your panties on dude.

Like I stated the relative calorie burn and muscle usage between the two are not comparable, hence the impression you were joking. You've gone from one of the highest calorie consuming workouts to one of the lowest within one sentence.

Lighten up, it's a bloody online forum haha.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Only you can decide what is too dangerous for you. We all have our own limits and preferences and reasons for those.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You can't be serious?

Actually, crossfit and swimming have similar calorie burns, around 700/hr if you go at it hard, and both offer a full body workout. You are a lot less likely to be injured swimming, although, if you're not good at it, you might drown.

Why not do both? You can make adjustments for your fitness level, and any injuries you have, when you're doing crossfit. Swimming could be an excellent full body workout of the day. There are also beginner friendly WODs, like these:

http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/beginner-crossfit-workouts/

• Dfoarde
    Dfoarde Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's called risk and reward. If it's not worth it to you then don't do it. However, many people enjoy the rewards that come with those activities. And yes, parachuting is a sport.

You could sport a parachute but parachuting isn't a sport..
  • squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I disagree - I don't think parachuting is a sport.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

I think the reason he suspects you are troll-fishing for replies is because you have a new handle and are asking about a contentious topic which you appeared to have already made up your mind about. We see that quite a bit here. Anyway, if you're serious about it, search the forum - it's been argued to death. You might find my post where i explain how runners have a higher rate of injuries. If you want to try Crossfit, i suggest first lifting weights on your own for a few months. :+1:
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am really sick of hearing people who have never done Crossfit before talk about how dangerous they think it is. Every week someone posts something like this. This article details what Crossfit is really about from the source.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/Foundations.pdf
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I know people that have got hurt doing serious stupid stuff. I sliced my leg up on a spin bike once cause my foot slipped off the pedal...Who would like you could get hurt on a stationary bike? Lol here are a few more ones I know of:
    Woman broke her ankle in low impact exercise class
    Guy cracks his had while he lost grip on the pull up bar (he wasn't even doing pull ups) c
    Myself on a box jump trying to go to fast. Didn't break my leg but still have a huge gross mark
    guy fainted when lifting wieght over his head (it was a very low weight) and cracked his head.

I LOVE crossfit. Please add me as a friend for any of you that are in crossfit out there. You can tell if you can or cant do something. For instance I am still building up my strength for handstands so I can be confident and strong when I do them. Most boxes offer free classes. See what its like. In my town one of the boxes is so competitive I believe they are dangerous (can you say weighted box jumps?) The one I go to is still competitive at times but they encourage people to work at thier fitness level instead of expecting you to just do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Driving can be dangerous. So can riding a bike on the street. All forms of exercises can pose a risk, especially to those who are unfamiliar with how to exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png