Guzzle water.

Everytime I eat healthy I drink more water I get a 1 liter and keep filling it but I notice I guzzle it rather then sip.

I will drink one by lunch time I kind of sip on that one as I'm cleaning. Then I refill it at 1pm and that liter is gone in like 30 minutes max. Same as last one.

My question is how do you all not guzzle but just sip your water through out the day.

I usually have 3 liters in me by 3pm and I know that's probably enough for the whole day.

Thanks

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    I guess I don't see why it matters how you drink your water. I just drink it, keep track of how much I've had until I reach a certain amount then I don't pay it any more mind. I just drink when I feel like it
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Sometimes I sip, sometimes I guzzle. I don't see guzzling as a problem. I refill when I go to the bathroom. That's probably every half hour.

If you're worried about "water intoxication/water poisoning", most people can safely consume a liter an hour on average and be within safe zones. If you're doing an activity, more. The more body mass, the more you can drink. The concern is putting in more than your body can process and excrete. A lot more. If you're emptying your bladder as often as you're filling, you're probably ok.
  • canadacatman
    canadacatman Posts: 224 Member
    How much water do you members drink in a day. I do no exercise as of yet as still too heavy but I still drink 4 liters of liquid and I know you do not need that much.

Thanks
  • MissusMoon
    How much water do you members drink in a day. I do no exercise as of yet as still too heavy but I still drink 4 liters of liquid and I know you do not need that much.

Thanks

I don't even count anymore. I have a 24 ounce water bottle and I probably fill it twice an hour. Occasionally once per hour, and occasionally more than twice. I also urinate 2-3 times per hour. I'm on a medication that makes me thirsty, so like everyone else ymmv.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member

Thanks

I stop counting at 64 ounces. I try to make sure I get at least that for consistency purposes.
  • canadacatman
    MissusMoon wrote: »

Thanks

I don't even count anymore. I have a 24 ounce water bottle and I probably fill it twice an hour. Occasionally once per hour, and occasionally more than twice. I also urinate 2-3 times per hour. I'm on a medication that makes me thirsty, so like everyone else ymmv.

So you drink maybe 6 liters may I ask why so much.

Thanks
  • MissusMoon

Thanks

So you drink maybe 6 liters may I ask why so much.

Thanks

Because I'm thirsty.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I fail to see how this is a problem which needs fixing.
  • canadacatman
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I am trying to find a way to sip. As by 3pm I got 3 liters of water in me and that is my daily goal so I keep drinking. I'm averaging 5 liters a day and really don't want to or need to drink that much.

Thanks
  • MissusMoon

I am trying to find a way to sip. As by 3pm I got 3 liters of water in me and that is my daily goal so I keep drinking. I'm averaging 5 liters a day and really don't want to or need to drink that much.

Thanks

But if you're thirsty you should drink. There is a recommended minimum but it's difficult to drink too much. If you want to sip, try getting yourself a water bottle with a straw.
  • canadacatman

Thanks

But if you're thirsty you should drink. There is a recommended minimum but it's difficult to drink too much. If you want to sip, try getting yourself a water bottle with a straw.

MissusMoon. That's just it I drink because well I really do not know why but I do know I drink when I'm not thirsty. I drink just for drinking.

Thanks
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    sometimes i feel like I'm chugging down the water and sometimes I find myself barley drinking anything.. i just listen to my body. i drink win I'm thirsty.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member

Thanks

Try freezing the water in plastic bottles and drink it as it melts.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member

Thanks

MissusMoon. That's just it I drink because well I really do not know why but I do know I drink when I'm not thirsty. I drink just for drinking.

Thanks

If you're not thirsty then don't drink. You already know you're getting plenty of water so don't have to worry about not getting enough. Maybe just use a small water bottle or glass so it's not right there all the time for you to drink. You may find you get sick of having to fill it too often and not guzzle it as much.
  • fishshark
    I remember once when I lived in arizona the radio station had a contest of who could drink the most water... doctors were calling in saying its dangerous.... yea a girl died drowning herself from the inside. so crazy!
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    I drink to thirst...some days not a lot,some days a lot...I can't be drinking when I'm not thirsty to me that's a form of torture.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    It's winter here and i'm struggling to get down 1.5L of water a day. I guzzle it as quickly as I can, as i wont get through it if i just take sips throughout the day.
    OP don't force yourself to drink all that water, 5L is a lot! Try to get a minimum of 1-2L, and then after that drink if you're actually thirsty.
    It's up to you to control yourself and take small sips, I don't think anyone here can help you with this, unless they're there supervising you :wink:
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Do you need a sippy cup?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    No biggie. I actually guzzle water and sip beverages.

But, remember, there is such thing as too much water. I personally use the urine color hydration charts online... too much water upsets the electrolyte balance of the body and can actually kill.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Is there a real problem here? I often drink between 3 and 5 liters per day of liquid. Unless you are low sodium or have impaired kidney function, there's really not a problem doing so. If anything, erring on the side of a bit more water is better than not enough - for one thing, it helps prevent kidney stones.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited June 2016
    fishshark wrote: »
    I remember once when I lived in arizona the radio station had a contest of who could drink the most water... doctors were calling in saying its dangerous.... yea a girl died drowning herself from the inside. so crazy!

Not drowning from the inside (which would describe pulmonary edema) - she died of hyponatremia (low blood sodium). Hyponatremia causes, among other things, swelling of the brain, to the point it can crush itself against your skull, leading to brain damage and death.

It is rare to see severe hyponatremia like that; it sometimes happens in hazing and abuse cases. Milder hyponatremia is somewhat common among endurance athletes, and why it's important to have sufficient sodium when sweating and drinking a lot.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

Thanks

As long as it's not vodka, you're okay. ;)
  • fishshark
    rankinsect wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »

Not drowning from the inside (which would describe pulmonary edema) - she died of hyponatremia (low blood sodium). Hyponatremia causes, among other things, swelling of the brain, to the point it can crush itself against your skull, leading to brain damage and death.

It is rare to see severe hyponatremia like that; it sometimes happens in hazing and abuse cases. Milder hyponatremia is somewhat common among endurance athletes, and why it's important to have sufficient sodium when sweating and drinking a lot.

Ah see i totally thought she actually drowned herself because it was so fast, but yea that makes soon much more sense. I remember listening live to it so crazy.
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    I think you're supposed to drink .5-1 oz per pound you weigh. I drink about 200 oz of water a day for several reasons. I'm thirsty, I drink if I feel a little hungry but not quite ready for a meal, I'm trying to quit soda, I'm trying to hydrate because I heard it helps your skin maintain elasticity as you lose weight.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    I guzzle water .. that's all I have to add