Why do I feel fatter?

Options
Hello, I'm Charly. A mum of 3 (8,4 and almost 19 week olds!) I have to have c-sections and have been left with the overhang due to the scar, it's not that bad more like loose skin.

I'm 5foot 2 inches and at the start was around 10 stone (my scales tell me different things! Helpful!) a week ago.
I have cut out all sugars, eating salads, chicken, veg no sauces or anything. Drinking only water yet I feel bigger, I look around 5/6 months pregnant again ( not an option been sterilised)
Iv had the normal side effects of cutting sugar, sleepy, upset, cravings (but not giving in) but they seem to be gone today.

Is this bloated feeling all part of it? Will it go?
Iv started working out at home as with 3 kids and my husband working midnight to 1/2pm I don't have time to head to the gym with school runs ect as he comes home and sleeps so I do what I can at home, sit ups, squats, on the spot jogging ect.

I don't expect to see huge changes after a week but I never thought I'd get bigger!

Replies

• charly_516
    charly_516 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Must also add in staying under 1200 cal a day.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common to have some digestive upset (bloating, gas, etc.) when changing your diet. Another couple weeks of your new eating plan should clear that up as your body adapts. You can add some probiotics to help the process along...yogurt, kombucha, kimchi, sauerkraut, etc.
  • charly_516
    Options
    Thank you tcunbeliever, I do suffer IBS but eating things that don't normally upset it but I guess it could all be part of that and the huge change my body is going through. Thanks again :)
  • charly_516
    Options
    2011, thank you, I know if I'm not struck though I'll fall back into bad habits like eating a whole deep pan pizza to myself... For a snack!
    I used to drink 3 cans of DR pepper just to make myself feel like I had some energy then drink tea with 3 sugars the rest of the day, no idea how I'm not bigger then I am!
    Like I said I'm not thinking I'll see results right now just didn't know if I was doing something wrong because the bloating.
    Thank you though it's good to know you can still loose weight and get fitter while eating normal foods :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A week is way too short to see any significant changes. Wait another few weeks and reassess. It is likely to be either water retention or due to your IBS.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food intake? Are you using a food scale? Measuring cups? Eyeballing portions? You may be eating more than you think you are.

But assuming you're calculating accurately, why are you eating under 1200 calories? Hopefully you're not breastfeeding while eating that little.
  • charly_516
    Options
    Thanks both,
    100% agree a week is too early to see changes like I stated before. Just couldn't understand why I was getting bloated.

No I'm not breastfeeding. I read the weights on packets, measure using a cup. If anything I over estimate how much food I'm eating.

When I set up this app it asked me my target weight loss a week then it chose the 1200 calories a day. To be honest I find it quite hard to fit 1200 in now that I'm eating healthy clean foods.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    charly_516 wrote: »
    Thanks both,
    100% agree a week is too early to see changes like I stated before. Just couldn't understand why I was getting bloated.

No I'm not breastfeeding. I read the weights on packets, measure using a cup. If anything I over estimate how much food I'm eating.

When I set up this app it asked me my target weight loss a week then it chose the 1200 calories a day. To be honest I find it quite hard to fit 1200 in now that I'm eating healthy clean foods.

You're probably underestimating.

Get a digital scale, throw away your measuring cups. Measure every bite in grams, every sup in ml.
  • angryromancegrrl
    angryromancegrrl Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    FWIW, I bloat at any major change in diet. Argh--like 5 pounds of water weight in a day! Give it a few more weeks--drink as much water as you can stand--and I bet it will go away. It always does. :) And get a scale. I know you don't want to go over your calories but you also don't want to go under.

Oh, and track your sodium. I keep mine to around 1000mg per day, which helps.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    charly_516 wrote: »
    I read the weights on packets, measure using a cup. If anything I over estimate how much food I'm eating.
    You're eating more than you think if you're not weighing your food. A measuring cup for solids is very inaccurate, I mean, one can just fill a cup or stuff the food in, but it's not the same calorie count even though it is still '1 cup'. Weigh all solid and semi solids on a food scale in grams and eat 1200 calories minimum. You may be feeling bloated due to the amount of veggies.

Oh, it isn't necessary to cut foods out of the diet unless it causes you discomfort or there's a medical reason. Yes, you can lose weight including chocolate and icecream in your 'diet'. Don't 'diet', find something that you can stick to for the rest of your life. If you want to add sauces to your veggies, then weigh those and add them into your calories. A calorie is just a calorie.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Are you getting proper nutrition? Why are you cutting out so many essentials? Fats? Carbs? Protein? Why no sauces?

I can't imagine you are overestimating, and eating much less than 1200 and never feeling hungry. Sorry this isn't really answering the bloated question, but you need to properly nourish yourself. Eat a little over 1200, not lower. Never lower. Hopefully this helps with some of the water retention and bloating.
  • charly_516
    Options
    Thanks for your answers, the bloating has gone now :)

To be honest I don't even like chocolate or sweets. It was sugar in tea and fizzy drinks that I'd have ALL the time that I wanted to cut out.

The sauces I like are really fattening so just don't want them. Iv cut so much crap out my diet as I want to get to where I want to be then maintain a healthy lifestyle. I have a horrible relationship with food. I can either go days without eating and feel fine because if I do eat it just makes me feel sick due to my IBS or I binge eat. So as much as people say I should hit higher then 1200 a day it's actually hard to fit that in because iv been so yo-yo before hand.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    I agree that you don't need to be that restrictive. Did you eat a lot of salads before? My husband has IBS and salad is one of the worst things he can eat. Especially if it has romaine lettuce in it. He does ok with iceberg lettuce and spinach, but anytime he has a big salad he will have a flare up. So even if you ate salad before if you are putting different lettuces and/or eating a lot more than usual that could cause issues with the IBS. And I also agree that you need a food scale.
  • charly_516
    Options
    Yes I love salads and never had a problem with them, the things that flare up my INS are packet pastas, yeast, spice, some types of bread (but I think due to the yeast). So I'm vary aware what not to really eat.
    Iv lost 4lb in 12 days and actually feel SO much better for cutting out the crappy foods, less tired, less moody. So if I am, or am not hitting 1200 at least it seems to be working.
    Shall defo invest in a food scale!