MFP exercise calories

Options
A few times I have seen people post where they say MFP overestimates the calories burned. When I put in my exercise is it just a general number or is it taking my weight-height into consideration?

Please don't tell me just to get a HRM, I am working on it they are just a bit pricey for me.

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It's just a general number, I'm pretty sure. Not exactly sure how they calculate it, but I think it's just what an average person burns in X amount of time doing X exercise.

I saw you said not to say but it would be best to get an HRM if you're really that worried.. You can get the Polar FT4 off of amazon for like 50 to 60 dollars right now with free shipping.

I only used MFP numbers and the machine numbers for the first 5 or so months and I lost about 15 pounds that way.
  • bradrockell
    Options
    Yeah, weight is taken into account. I notice that I burn less when I lose more weight!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It's just a general number, I'm pretty sure. Not exactly sure how they calculate it, but I think it's just what an average person burns in X amount of time doing X exercise.

I saw you said not to say but it would be best to get an HRM if you're really that worried.. You can get the Polar FT4 off of amazon for like 50 to 60 dollars right now with free shipping.

I only used MFP numbers and the machine numbers for the first 5 or so months and I lost about 15 pounds that way.

Lol... 50-60 $ is gas for a week :P
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

It is a general calculation, but it does take into account, age, weight, and gender when determining calories burned. I would suggest eating back 50-75% of the calories burned just in case it is an over estimation.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    if you are bordering on obese or lower and are resonable fit
    Ie: can walk2-3 miles at 3.5 mile an hour with out needed medical help then the chances are that MFP's estimate isn't to far from the truth.

but its only an estimate just like a HRM most of the cheaper ones don't take VoMax into consideration and there fore are only an estimate albitit a little more acurate.

Hope this helps
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am honestly not sure - I have wondered the same thing. I try to compair what MFP says with another site that calculates calories but I think every site you find is going to say something different. Nothing takes into consideration the weather or humidity or if you are working with the wind or against it. I agree, an HRM is a bit pricy for my liking as well. Good luck with you weight loss journey :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    A few times I have seen people post where they say MFP overestimates the calories burned. When I put in my exercise is it just a general number or is it taking my weight-height into consideration?

Please don't tell me just to get a HRM, I am working on it they are just a bit pricey for me.

Actually, the amount of calories you burn in MFP's exercise database is dependent upon your weight and height. The heavier you are, the more calories you burn. If you go into your exercise diary and select a previous entry, the calories won't change. However, if you change the time, MFP will recalculate the calories burned. I realized this the other day. I always do an hour of one exercise, but I got hurt and tried doing less time. It recalculated for the new time, but when I tried to change it back to one hour, it was showing that I burn less calories than it had before I made the change. MFP is not going to recalculate unless you make an occassional change to the entry.