Help with muscle recovery

Options
I'm not new to lifting and have been doing it for a couple years casually. In the last 5 months I have gotten serious about getting fit and am struggling with muscle recovery while I push myself.

I am one of those that if I'm really sore won't go back to the gym for a week and it sends me into a bad habit cycle.

I use BCAAs & a Calcium/Magnesium supplement but am wondering what else you all can suggest for recovery?

Any help is appreciated!!! I am walking like a nutcracker and wish I had a catheter.

Replies

• mkupartist
    mkupartist Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    PS foam rolling doesn't help & is a moderate form of torture.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Have you tried stretching after your workout?
  • mkupartist
    Options
    I have, but light stretching. It's not like it's a part of the workout.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I usually do active stretching for 10-15 minutes before my workout and about 5-8 minutes of static stretching (holds for 20 secs) and some yoga poses afterwards. It doesn't eliminate the soreness, but it does help more than most other suggestions. Also hot Epsom salt bath will help a bit too.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    gentle stretching while the muscles are still warm post-workout seems to help me. GENTLE stretching, and 60 second-ish holds. idea is just to prevent them from seizing and shortening up while they cool down again, and then throughout the day little shorter stretches to try and maintain the same length. i'm bad about this and only tend to do it when bad consequences re-make a convert of me. my chiropractor swears by it though. sez 'we have found' that post stretching seems to result in a better 'quality' of muscle tissue than putting it off, i.e. smoother and longer. he also advocates first-thing after wakeup stretches. i've never gotten rid of hte image he planted in me: stretching is like combing the muscle fibres to 'tell' them how to align themselves as they get made.

i take a bcaa dose in water with me to the gym. post-workout has sometimes been effective, but a steady provision during may be what's been protecting me recently.

immediate post- workout recovery, i'm making a habit of eating something that grew on a tree. i may just have terrible habits and be deficient in vitamin c, but apples or oranges do seem to be a better recovery food than gummy bears :tongue: i'm also currently hydrating like crazy and trying teh fish-oil approach.

also within a few hours post-workout, been making intentional effort to feed myself a serious protein hit. my standard smoothie is 30g so that's about what i try to aim for.

context: been lifting two years, starting with SL 5x5, then 5x3, and now in a fourth cycle of wendler 5-3-1. the change that has happened for me recently is i've suddenly added 50%-training-max sets at 3x15 for the lifts that i'm already doing as part of the main wendler stuff. i expected death by doms in the first week, but it hasn't happened.
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you're too sore for you regular workout you could consider just doing a very light one. That way you stay in the habit of going to the gym when you need to. Plus just doing the range of motion with light weights helps with soreness. Another thing to keep in mind (on top of watching your protein levels) is how much sleep you get. It should be 7 hours or more if you're lifting.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I take a scoop of glutamine powder before a heavy lift! Lots of water! No soreness
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    CONSISTENCY reduces DOMS. If it's a matter of recovery, then first ibuprofen and an epsom salt bath.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Have you tried stretching after your workout?
    Stretching doesn't reduce DOMS.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • mkupartist
    Options
    Do you track your macros and are you getting enough protein?

I will tell you flat out that the best solution to soreness though is another workout. That's part of the problem you're experiencing. When you get sore you delay going back to the gym.

I haven't been tracking macros, no. Been meaning to get back to this. I felt like I had been getting enough protein but you may have hit the nail on the head with this one. Could probably use a lot more protein.

Day after leg day (yesterday), I was back in the gym, not allowing myself to stop. Today I haven't yet had the guts to go but sounds like I should!

Thank you for everyone's candid input. Changes ahead!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) should go away within a week or two of starting a new exercise routine. If you've been experiencing pain for five months, you're either not working out consistently enough or what you're feeling is an injury, not DOMS. You shouldn't still be getting sore after workouts if you've been doing them consistently for five months.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I take a scoop of glutamine powder before a heavy lift! Lots of water! No soreness
    Any "powders" taken before workouts don't affect the micro tearing of muscles. That's what DOMS is. It's directly caused by resistance that's VERY challenging to either contraction or muscular endurance.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    mkupartist wrote: »
    Do you track your macros and are you getting enough protein?

I will tell you flat out that the best solution to soreness though is another workout. That's part of the problem you're experiencing. When you get sore you delay going back to the gym.

I haven't been tracking macros, no. Been meaning to get back to this. I felt like I had been getting enough protein but you may have hit the nail on the head with this one. Could probably use a lot more protein.

Day after leg day (yesterday), I was back in the gym, not allowing myself to stop. Today I haven't yet had the guts to go but sounds like I should!

Thank you for everyone's candid input. Changes ahead!

On days when you really feel bad, just tell yourself you're going in to warm up. If you still feel like hell after warming up then go light. Also, I don't mean warming up via cardio. I mean start by warming up with lighter weights and slowly adding weight until you feel like your muscles are ready for you to hit your routine. Most programs use this type of warm-up but I want to be clear.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Make sure your diet is in check, and that you're getting enough rest. you really don't need BCAAs as long as you're taking in enough protein. And if you're sore, say your legs, why not just work your upper body instead of skipping the gym till your legs have recovered
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Foam rolling does help just not in the way you want it to. There's not a lot you can do about lactic acid build up once it is there. Foam rolling is a great tool for tight muscles as it mimics deep tissue massages (which is why it hurts so good :smile:) and will work on some of the tension from tight muscles and scar tissue, but it will not push the lactic acid out of your legs, butt, back , etc. Lactic Acid and inflammation are what cause soreness. The amount of inflammation you have is very likely dependent on your diet and then obviously how hard you workout. If you're struggling with soreness you should be avoiding inflammatory foods like sugar, anything processed, beans, dairy, peanuts, soy etc. This is an incredibly strict way of eating, but once your diet is in check you'll notice a world of difference as far as soreness is concerned. I'd suggest looking at the Paleo diet and learning what foods are inflammatory so you know what to avoid.

Once you're already sore there's not much you can do other than drink a lot of water, Epsom salt baths, and stretching. But it's still going to take 2-4 days to recover depending on how sore you are.

Another recommendation I would make when you're sore is do an active rest day. If your entire body is sore instead of lifting just go walk for a few miles.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) should go away within a week or two of starting a new exercise routine. If you've been experiencing pain for five months, you're either not working out consistently enough or what you're feeling is an injury, not DOMS. You shouldn't still be getting sore after workouts if you've been doing them consistently for five months.

This isn't necessarily true. I'm sore every week and I've been consistently working out for 6 months and I'm injury free. It's all about muscle memory. The more you confuse the muscles, the more often you'll be sore. Confusion can happen by increasing weight, changing reps, or just doing something you're not used to. If I normally do a 3 rep max on my bench press, but this week I'm going to do a 3 max effort at 95# you best believe my arms are going to be sore. They're used to lifting 155# 3 times, not 95# 30 times.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    CONSISTENCY reduces DOMS. If it's a matter of recovery, then first ibuprofen and an epsom salt bath.

This can't be said enough. For people who get bad DOMS, stretching, BCAAs, rolling, glutamine ... none of it does anything at all.

What works is not taking time off from working out. If I don't work out more than 4 or so days in a row, I'm going to pay for it the next few days with severe DOMS. This is why I rarely take time off.

• ninerbuff
    Options

Foam rolling does help just not in the way you want it to. There's not a lot you can do about lactic acid build up once it is there. Foam rolling is a great tool for tight muscles as it mimics deep tissue massages (which is why it hurts so good :smile:) and will work on some of the tension from tight muscles and scar tissue, but it will not push the lactic acid out of your legs, butt, back , etc. Lactic Acid and inflammation are what cause soreness. The amount of inflammation you have is very likely dependent on your diet and then obviously how hard you workout. If you're struggling with soreness you should be avoiding inflammatory foods like sugar, anything processed, beans, dairy, peanuts, soy etc. This is an incredibly strict way of eating, but once your diet is in check you'll notice a world of difference as far as soreness is concerned. I'd suggest looking at the Paleo diet and learning what foods are inflammatory so you know what to avoid.

Once you're already sore there's not much you can do other than drink a lot of water, Epsom salt baths, and stretching. But it's still going to take 2-4 days to recover depending on how sore you are.

Another recommendation I would make when you're sore is do an active rest day. If your entire body is sore instead of lifting just go walk for a few miles.
    Incorrect. Lactic Acid IS NOT the cause of soreness. This is bad information that gets passed on by people who aren't well versed in how physiology actually works. DOMS is from micro tears in the muscle created by intense exercise that the muscle is not accustomed to.
    And unless one has an issue with inflammations DUE to actual foods, eating a Paleo diet isn't going to reduce recovery time any more than one where protein supplements and processed foods are used. Recovery factor is based on fitness, age, rest and genetics.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

This isn't necessarily true. I'm sore every week and I've been consistently working out for 6 months and I'm injury free. It's all about muscle memory. The more you confuse the muscles, the more often you'll be sore. Confusion can happen by increasing weight, changing reps, or just doing something you're not used to. If I normally do a 3 rep max on my bench press, but this week I'm going to do a 3 max effort at 95# you best believe my arms are going to be sore. They're used to lifting 155# 3 times, not 95# 30 times.
    You misunderstud him. CONSISTENTLY would mean the SAME EXERCISE with the SAME REPS and SAME RESISTANCE. You're speaking of training strength one time, and then muscular endurance the next. Two different types of training.
    It's like the difference between sprinting vs long distance running.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png