What is your go to workout/exercise?

Options
I recently started my weight loss journey. I am having a hard time finding the workout routine that will work for me. I have tried workout videos but haven't been able to finish because I get out of breath right away. Please share some of the things you did when you first started. I am home based but hope to join a gym when I feel a bit confident in myself.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    When I first started I could barely manage 15min on my stationary bike. Just kept at it, adding a few minutes each time. I also started dancing around to my favorite tunes.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I started with just walking on a treadmill. Then added incline and speed intervals. I eventually did a couch25k program and bought Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I've tried so many other dvds and videos on youtube since then, incorporate running and walking (outside and on the treadmill) and lift weights. I swim laps in the summer. Just try many things and see what you like.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Walking, yoga, weights :) Just try a few things out and try to find something you enjoy. I started yoga about a month ago to focus on my performance and set small fitness goals--it is fun to switch it up if you don't like walking or fitness videos. Don't worry if you can't do all the "moves" or if you have to stop to catch your breath--takes time--you'll get there--it'll get easier. The important thing is that you are trying to move more for better health. Wishing you happy health! :)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Walking, cycling, and dancing are my top three favorites. When I dance, it doesn't even feel like exercise just because I enjoy it so much.
  • ReadyforOctober
    ReadyforOctober Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    Honestly, when I first started, I got out of breath using workout videos too. But I would pause the video, drink some water, and catch my breath and then continue on with the video. It may take you a little longer, but you'll be able to get through it in time!

Also, if you're going to be joining a gym, I can't recommend group exercise classes enough! I began taking them about a year ago and I now teach them. They're a fantastic way to get motivation, especially when you're just beginning. They're a lot of fun too! And there are people of all different sizes in many of the classes too, so you will likely not be the only one there who is trying to lose weight.

Thank you! Glad to know I'm not the only one starting like this.
  • ReadyforOctober
    ReadyforOctober Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Zella_11 wrote: »
    Don't worry if you can't do all the "moves" or if you have to stop to catch your breath--takes time--you'll get there--it'll get easier. The important thing is that you are trying to move more for better health. Wishing you happy health! :)

Thank You. You're right! What matters is that I keep moving!
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I honestly just walk. I find exercise videos to be incredibly boring. I put on either music or a TV show and walk in my apartment. For me it's much more enjoyable that way. If it's not enjoyable, I'm going to get burnt out and not do it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,142 Member
    Options
    What is your go to workout/exercise?

1) Cycling
    2) Walking

And then I'll throw in a bit of hiking, weight lifting, and some water sports.
  • CampLondon
    CampLondon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I started running around an elementary school track one time through then I would walk probably half-a-lap then run less than half-a-lap until I had made it 4 times around. I also did some weightlifting and sit ups back then.
    Since then I have replaced track for running up hill. I live near a mountain. I started doing Pop Pilates in December. Cassie puts a calendar out and I skip exercises like up up down downs, hip twists, etc. I like the challenge of Mountain climbers, Burpees, Plank Jacks, and football runs. I know I am better at football runs than plank jacks because I stop more than once doing jacks in 45 seconds. I believe I found my weight loss mojo for at least 11 more weeks.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i haaaaaaaate directed/organized exercise of every kind. video or in-person, it's all just rage and boredom for me in a horrible kind of combination.

my most natural go-to is cycling. i have a car but use it maybe a few times a month :tongue: it's embarrassing when i do take it somewhere and then realise there's lichen on it.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I love to run. I should work on my strength training more, but running is where my heart is. It takes time to start enjoying a workout. Don't give up on one until you have stuck with it for a few weeks at least. As far as cardio goes, once you get your stamina and endurance up you should have way more fun working out.
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of walking on the treadmill. I up the incline rather than the speed to keep my workouts intense but low impact. I know you said you didn't like the workout videos, but have you tried walk at home videos? You walk in place and do other comparable movements that are also really low impact. I used to like Jillian Michaels videos too. She shows you how to do the exercises as a beginner and slowly increase intensity, and the circuit training between cardio and strength helps when you really need to catch your breath! Lol. Best of luck!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Walk. Walk walk walk. Walk 20 minutes, then thirty, then forty. Just walk. :) Now I alternate my power-walk days (5-6 miles at 3.5-4.0 mph) with swim days, or, if I can't get to the pool for whatever reason, I have a glider-stepper at home so I can throw in some Game of Thrones and get my cardio that way.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Walking is also my go-to. Barely any recovery needed so I can do it every day, in short bursts, in long bursts, on incline, varying speeds, leisure walk, a walk to the mall, walking around the house when talking on the phone or while waiting for the microwave, hiking a scenic route, walking the dog... and many more. It's such a versatile and low impact pleasant activity with intensities varying from strolling effortlessly to huffing and puffing up a hill.

I also love running, but being fat I need extra recovery. Some day...