Significant others that don't understand calorie counting

Options
How do you handle a significant other that doesn't understand calorie counting? My boyfriend for the most part doesn't care about the foods I eat and he'll eat what I make for dinner, etc. But sometimes he wants to go out to dinner which is fine, but he'll spring it on me last minute when I've already had most of my calories for the day. I prefer to eat a big breakfast and lunch and a moderate amount of calories for dinner. I feel more satisfied throughout the day. I tried to explain to him that I plan my meals in advance and his response was, "well, that's not my problem". If he told me in advance that he wanted to go out to dinner then I could better plan for it. I tend to avoid eating out in general due to the high sodium content. I'm almost 10 lbs from my goal weight and he doesn't understand every calorie counts. He said he wants to spend time together, but spending time together doesn't have to equate to shoveling our mouths with food. His idea of lower calorie is much different than mine. He eats whatever he wants and generally doesn't care about his health.

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat out one meal a week with my family... usually lunch. I plan what I will eat. I have looked up menus and nutritional information for the places we usually go. Most restaurants have salads or lower calorie options.
    If you don't want to eat just get a drink and hang out.
    Suggest other ways you want to spend time together.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Make it up over the following week, no big. :) try to remember that this is a marathon, not a Sprint.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Can you take 100 or so calories each day away from your daily calorie budget to use as weekly/rollover calories? That way, if your goal is 1500 calories, you can eat 1400 calories 6 days of the week and then eat 2100 calories the day your husband surprises you with a meal out (while still maintaining a 1500 calorie average).
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Honestly it is up to you. It caused a big issue in my marriage actually because even when I had calories left the fact I was inputting them, weighing food, and even doing it annoyed my ex husband. If they don't get it and don't care they honestly don't want to hear about it. From my experience you won't be able to please them just going and not eating either.

I would just find the lowest calorie meal on the menu and then the next day cut back to balance it out. Sometimes this ment major fast the next day or so but it was what I had to do to hit my deficit for the week.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue here is definitely that he didn't ask me in advance. Had he said last night, "Hey, I want to go to dinner tomorrow night", I would had been able to plan accordingly. By the time I had breakfast and lunch I was already at 1400 calories. I usually eat around 2000-2100. Some of the chain restaurants we like, it's not hard to blow those calories out of the water. Not to mention he kept asking me what some low calorie options are and wouldn't hone in on a specific restaurant. Hopefully he'll take into consideration what I said about planning in advance. And I know for a fact that if I went and didn't order anything he would get upset just the same as if I said I didn't want to go. I have avoided eating out for the most part because I like knowing what's going into my food and how many calories I'm really consuming. When I cook at home, I am in total control of that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Ahead of time,hand him a list of 5 or 6 places that work for the both of you.
    Ask him to let you know before you eat your lunch. Tell him you need to know by 10:00 am.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Get the chicken.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    A compromise is that he is ok with you ordering salad with no dressing.
    He can't expect you to be both 1) available at any time AND 2) eat.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Stay strong!!! When I gave in and a few meals out became more and more I gained 50lbs. I eventually stopped going to gym too because he didn't want to workout as much and it ended up effected my decision of going.
    I finally woke up and changed my eating habits and started working out. After a few months he climbed on board as well. I've lost almost 70lbs and he has lost almost 50lbs.
    There has been many compromises thoughout this journey but we make it work. HE STILL DOESNT GET THAT I NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO MY CALORIES. His calories for maintenance is 2800 vs mine at 1900... Big difference!!

If he loves you and wants you to be happy and healthy he needs to support you in your journey.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Your diet isn't his diet. He's not trying to lose, so the choice really is up to you. You DON'T have to eat what he eats. Bring your own, or eat later.
    The reality is, as much as people would like to believe that their goals should be compromiseable to everyone, not everyone really cares. In fact more don't care than really care. So it's up to YOU to do what you need to if weight loss is your goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

As I read the OPs post, one of the very reasonable things she is asking for is that things are planned in advance, allowing her to make her other decisions accordingly.

I don't think that this is much to ask for at all.

Exactly why is that an unreasonable request? If my wife asked this if me, I would do it without question!
    She mentioned "springing on it last minute". That's hardly time to plan in advance. And even if it there was notice, the OP has the option to pick anything that fits into her calorie count based on the menu. Basically every restaurant has a low calorie option.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I guess it all comes down to telling him yes if you feel like it, or no if you don't feel like it.
    Cook him dinner or suggest he cooks for you. Or cook together!
    Walk to the restaurant (if feasible.)
    Plan your week to have less calories per day (if you can, like 100-150 less per day) so you can have a day or two at 2500.
    Go to the restaurant and eat half of your meal, or eat something small.

It's unlikely that he will stop asking, I'm sure he really loves being with you and may have good memories associated with being with you at restaurants. Not sure how long you've been together, but maybe you guys just need to create new memories based around other activities.

I've been married for 11 years, and dated him for 6 years before that. My husband is very spontaneous (which is mostly great) but does not understand my desire to plan things out, especially about food. Now that he's working an early shift, hes home before me and picks up the kids. He's pretty much in charge of dinner weeknights so I never know what he's making or bringing home or if he wants to go out. I used to ask, but now I just let him do his thing and have realized that I prefer to have my big meal with the family. So, I've changed to eating a light breakfast and lunch (usually less than 600cals total) and then I can eat pretty much whatever he comes up with. If it's going out, I just watch what I eat, usually eating half and taking half home.

I don't know if that is helpful, but I've just learned to adapt. I like going out too!