I feel like an idiot

Options

Replies

• beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    [quote="I'm glad two pounds came off and I'm not trying to be rude but what you cite as the reasoning for it is absolutely not the case. As stated above, you are overcomplicating things and you also keep investing in different weight loss myths. Weight fluctuates. Water weight happens. Yes several pounds worth. End of story.

And what exactly do you think happens with protein if you do consume too much? It doesn't just flush out of the body. It is an energy source and must be used. If it's not burned for energy it will store as fat. I can tell the difference between water weight fluctuations and actual weight loss.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to control my fat grams. I stay with 1500 calories a day. My dr says less will put my body in starvation if I eat too little.

@cruisin4losin ask your doctor how anorexics and prisoners of war manage to keep losing weight when eating very, very low calories. How are they not in starvation mode? I would love to hear his explanation :smile:

Maybe the doctor meant what he's quoted as staying: "in starvation," not "in starvation mode." As in, "you'll be headed on a path to become dangerously underweight, your body will have to cannibalize muscles and organs for energy, and eventually you will die."
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    [quote="I'm glad two pounds came off and I'm not trying to be rude but what you cite as the reasoning for it is absolutely not the case. As stated above, you are overcomplicating things and you also keep investing in different weight loss myths. Weight fluctuates. Water weight happens. Yes several pounds worth. End of story.

And what exactly do you think happens with protein if you do consume too much? It doesn't just flush out of the body. It is an energy source and must be used. If it's not burned for energy it will store as fat. I can tell the difference between water weight fluctuations and actual weight loss.

Nothing much happens when you consume too much protein unless it's so much to the point where it becomes taxing on your kidneys. It may even cause a bit of constipation depending on the individual. If you are eating at a calorie deficit, none of your calories/macros are stored as fat. That's the point of a calorie deficit in the first place; your body is using every single calorie and has to look to your excess body fat for more fuel.

Now that I have answered your question, would you mind answering a few that I have?
    1. How can you tell the difference between two pounds of water weight loss and two pounds of fat loss?
    2. How much protein were you consuming per day?
    3. If one pound of fat is approximately 3500 calories, how do you think you were able to lose two pounds of fat, 7000 calories worth, within a bit over 12 hours? If your notion on protein were to actually have some merit, are you trying to imply that excess protein was causing your body to hold onto two pounds of fat that were released within 12 hours by being closer to your macros one time?
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    [quote="I'm glad
    1. How can you tell the difference between two pounds of water weight loss and two pounds of fat loss?
    3. If one pound of fat is approximately 3500 calories, how do you think you were able to lose two pounds of fat, 7000 calories worth, within a bit over 12 hours? If your notion on protein were to actually have some merit, are you trying to imply that excess protein was causing your body to hold onto two pounds of fat that were released within 12 hours by being closer to your macros one time?

1. When I have weight loss the more fatty parts of my body have a cottage cheese look and I'll lose inches. When it's just water weight there is no cottage cheese look and won't lose inches. Sometimes I look more bloated than usual with water weight an will increase inches. That's not the case this time. I was fluctuating between 215 to 218. I couldn't get passed the 215 mark. This morning I'm at 213 and lost about an inch.
    2. I was consuming over 100 grams of protein. I went back to my usual 61 grams.
    3. I know what you're saying, but my calorie consumption doesn't explain the stop in weight loss either. After dropping the protein consumption yesterday I all the sudden broke the plateau -- not calories, the protein. It could be my body is adjusting to the adjusted diet. Like with any new diet or exercise regimen the body needs to adjust. I'm going to continue doing it this way and see how my progress goes, and if it does continue to progress then my mind is made up that is was the amount of protein I was consuming. I haven't found anything that shows consuming too much protein will cause weight gain is a myth. I would love to see that if you have a reference I can read about.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I had 205g of protein yesterday and I had a big drop on the scale this morning. Calories are all that matters for weight loss :smile:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

If you are in an overall calorie deficit, it doesn't matter if you "consume too much" protein, because it will be used to provide your energy needs. Your body needs X amount of energy; you consume food with <X amount of energy, from whatever macros you choose; you lose weight. You will not be storing fat just because a lot of the energy you were consuming was in the form of protein.

Where A = fat calories, B = protein calories, C = carb calories, D = alcohol calories, and X = your TDEE, if

A + B + C + D < X

you will not store fat.

This. Too much of any macro won't equal weight gain. It's all abut a surplus of calories. I sometimes consume too much protein (more than the .6xbodyweight) figure and I still lose fine.

I am pretty sure you've been retaining water due to the weight lifting and running. With lifting, the water will retain quite a bit of weight to cushion the muscles while they're repairing...sort of like a protective blister. And, since you have under 50lbs to lose, shoot for the 1lb per week loss. I'm currently going for that right now, and will move on to .5 when I have 30lbs to lose.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I used to go over on protein all the time. still lost weight and there were days I was eating like 150g. as for building muscle in a deficit its very very hard to do and especially being a woman it wont be anything significant.we gain it a LOT more slowly. muscle building is built more in a surplus,you have to be above maintenance to gain muscle mass and you will gain fat too. now as for muscle requiring sufficient calories,that may be to retain lean body mass,but again if you are eating under maintenance you wont gain much if any muscle. you may see more definition due to losing the fat covering it making it look like you gained muscle. but it takes time to build muscle even for men.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    higher protein does not make you gain weight (or fail to lose)...your thinking is totally off on this one!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    [quote="I'm glad

1. When I have weight loss the more fatty parts of my body have a cottage cheese look and I'll lose inches. When it's just water weight there is no cottage cheese look and won't lose inches. Sometimes I look more bloated than usual with water weight an will increase inches. That's not the case this time. I was fluctuating between 215 to 218. I couldn't get passed the 215 mark. This morning I'm at 213 and lost about an inch.
    2. I was consuming over 100 grams of protein. I went back to my usual 61 grams.
    3. I know what you're saying, but my calorie consumption doesn't explain the stop in weight loss either. After dropping the protein consumption yesterday I all the sudden broke the plateau -- not calories, the protein. It could be my body is adjusting to the adjusted diet. Like with any new diet or exercise regimen the body needs to adjust. I'm going to continue doing it this way and see how my progress goes, and if it does continue to progress then my mind is made up that is was the amount of protein I was consuming. I haven't found anything that shows consuming too much protein will cause weight gain is a myth. I would love to see that if you have a reference I can read about.

My protein goal is at least double that per day.

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Eating too few calories caused you to stop losing weight? 100 grams is too much protein while strength training and it (rather than too many calories) caused you to stop losing weight? I strongly suggest you step back and stop speculating because these two statements couldn't be more wrong.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Agreed. In a deficit you can't build muscle. You might see a slight change if just starting out but it won't notice a difference over night. And if you mean lifting as in you are lifting HEAVY maybe 3 or 4 times a week, eating at a surplus then yes you'd experience muscle weight gain. Not being in a deficit not doing a couple of lunges with light dumbells. (Peoples definition of using weights varies!)If you've come to a halt in weight loss I recommend having a day or two of a mass calorie surplus to shock the body into receiving food then go back to your calorie deficit level. Your body might be too used to a deficit.
    Or keep the cals the same and up the cardio?
  • huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Almost everyone seems to go through a plateau during their weight loss. I did, but I changed my MFP goal of 2 lb loss a week to 1.5 lb loss and pushed through it. One theory is that your body gets to a certain point and it needs time to "adjust". Changing your goals and current stats can help. Also changing your exercise can help. Try something different to shake things up a bit. Shaking up your exercise routine will probably be the most helpful in getting things moving again. I hope this helps. And whatever you do... Never give up!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
    In actual fact the higher protein is helpful to you especially if exercising and in a deficit.

Any macro will get stored as fat during a condition of surplus; none will be stored as fat during a deficit.

if you were to trace each ingested macro and follow its course through your body, protein would be the least likely to be converted to fat as it takes the most energy to move from protein to fat storage.

If you are an untrained individual with sufficient reserves of excess fat and a novel (and appreciable) exercise stimulus you CAN gain muscle mass even during a deficit. Your overall weight trend will be downward; but slower than you would expect based on your deficit.

2lbs overnight is water. Whether it is water due to sodium, muscle repair, TOM, or previously lost fat where the cells had been temporarily filled with water... it is interesting that you can tell the difference :smiley:
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You're not an idiot, finding the right balance for your body is always hard and we're all trying to figure it out :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see. We're and you're not able to talk about your actual food intake because you don't have your diary open to public. If you were having 3 protein shakes, it isn't the protein making you gain. My protein powder has 200 calories per scoop. If I mix it with 8 oz milk I can get way more calories. If I multiply that by 3 I can get close to 1000 calories from the protein shakes. If you were having 3 protein shakes and eating 1200 calories, that puts your intake at close to 2200 calories, which probably eliminates your calorie deficit. This works so much better when you have your diary set to "public" and are honest, accurate, and thorough with logging every morsel that crosses your lips.
  • normalicia11
    normalicia11 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to control my fat grams. I stay with 1500 calories a day. My dr says less will put my body in starvation if I eat too little.

@cruisin4losin ask your doctor how anorexics and prisoners of war manage to keep losing weight when eating very, very low calories. How are they not in starvation mode? I would love to hear his explanation :smile:

I'd also be very curious to hear this explanation.

Me too, it doesn't make sense to stop lossing weight when you're eating very little
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about different methods of calculations as you'll end up confusing yourself (more)! Set MFP up with your weight, how much you want to lose in a week and eat that much. It's simple
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You stopped losing because you're either eating too much or retaining water.