Late Night Snacking For Gals Who Just Love Food

k8millz
k8millz Posts: 28 Member
Hey guys.

So, I'm 5'6" and weigh 135 lbs even. I eat a lot of veggies, fruits, lean meats, ya know basic "clean" foods during the day. My macros are currently sitting at 1700 cals, 190c/130p/48f. However, even with how often I eat throughout the day and no matter how nutrient dense my meals are, I'm SO hungry once night time rolls around. I can always count on my sweet tooth to drag me to the kitchen for a bowl of cereal or my brain to talk me into eating five quesadillas at one in the morning. What are some tricks to stop (or at least reduce) this behavior? And what are some of your favorite healthy snacks to have when hunger cravings hit late at night?
:)

Replies

• Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Fage 2% Greek yogurt with peanut butter powder, a little sea salt, pyure sweetner, chia seeds, and sometimes throw a few geradelli dark chocolate chips on. Tastes like Reese's! So yummy and filling too. Or I love Carr's water crackers (8 crackers for 120 calories) and quarter size 2 pieces of cheese and top the crackers with those (2 pieces of cheese 55 calories) or skinny popcorn.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Whole grain cereal
    spoonful of Peanut butter or PB and crackers
    Glass of milk
    Cup of tea
    Glass of water
    Go to bed then wake up earlier for breakfast
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    If you know you're going to want a late night snack, budget your calories for it. Instead of eating all 1700 calories throughout the day, eat 1450 and save 250 for another snack.

Good snacks:
    Greek yogurt and protein powder
    An egg or two (or three ;) )
    Tuna salad
    Lunch meat roll up (meat and veggies)
    Cottage cheese with veggies
    Celery and pb2
    Apple and pb2
  • yagirlmella
    yagirlmella Posts: 21 Member
    edited June 2016
    Fage 2% Greek yogurt with peanut butter powder, a little sea salt, pyure sweetner, chia seeds, and sometimes throw a few geradelli dark chocolate chips on. Tastes like Reese's! So yummy and filling too. Or I love Carr's water crackers (8 crackers for 120 .

8 crackers for 120 cal?! Yippee my two whole grain crackers are 130. Going to buy those carrs.. More crackers to munch.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    I love my late night snack! So I pre-log it when I log breakfast and fit the rest of the day in. (I do air-popped popcorn and spray olive oil on it.)
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Fage 2% Greek yogurt with peanut butter powder, a little sea salt, pyure sweetner, chia seeds, and sometimes throw a few geradelli dark chocolate chips on. Tastes like Reese's! So yummy and filling too. Or I love Carr's water crackers (8 crackers for 120 .

8 crackers for 120 cal?! Yippee my two whole grain crackers are 130. Going to buy those carrs.. More crackers to munch.

Yes!! Isn't it great? 4 crackers for 60 calories and I just double it! :smiley:
    I love crackers and these are big too and so good!
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Just a question, but have you had problems with binge eating? You sound like me. Protein really helps, and waiting longer to eat something sweet during the day. I also try to leave room for a snack later at night. And make sure you aren't being super restrictive during the day.
  • k8millz
    k8millz Posts: 28 Member
    These are all great ideas for late night snacking! I'm gonna try them all out, and start logging my treats at the beginning of the day. Wish me luck!
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Oooh, a 1/4 cup of vanilla greek yogurt mixed with 1Tbsp peanut butter. Perfect dip for fruit. Add a tiny bit of sweetener if you like. I love it with apple slices!!
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    For sweet, I eat Icelandic style yogurt. 110 cals

For savory, I eat fat free refried beans with salsa and half a serving of light sour cream. 120 cals

I like both of these because they are filling (protein or fiber) and they physically take longer to eat with a spoon. I take tiny bites.
  • taubut
    taubut Posts: 11 Member
    My midnight snack is rice crispy cereal and milk, but in a coffee mug.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    At night I learned to make a fruit/veggie tray usually around(100 cal) with a dip just as PB2 or boathouse ranch dressing and then I drink hot teas until full- if this will not make you need to use the restroom a lot-
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Don't be awake at 1 in the morning. The longer you're awake, the more likely you are to eat more. Seriously, there have been multiple studies that link being awake late at night to increased calorie consumption. (And no, I don't have links to said studies. If you're that interested, do some googling) Your body needs sleep & rest to properly function anyway.
  • mave36
    mave36 Posts: 17 Member
    You sound exactly like me, same measurements as well, and I too can binge eat everything I can get my hands on in the evenings, it's like I'm never full! My sweet tooth gets out of control!

I make little cups of 50 cal per serving mousse mixes up (I use almond milk) then I fill small containers with kids up with mousse and they don't stay soft like ice cream so it takes a little work to eat them but they help the sweet tooth at 50 cals a pop.

This is my alternative to dairy products
  • mave36
    mave36 Posts: 17 Member
    That should read lids not kids lol :D
  • vinster345
    vinster345 Posts: 30 Member
    I make myself have a huge glass of water first, and then if still stupidly hungry, have a snack or cashews
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    it sounds like a habit that just needs to be broken.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    There is nothing wrong with eating at night if that is what you like to do. Just save some calories for it. I love a small nighttime snack. I usually save a couple hundred calories and if I don't use them then I can bank them for another day.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    007Aggie wrote: »
    For sweet, I eat Icelandic style yogurt. 110 cals

For savory, I eat fat free refried beans with salsa and half a serving of light sour cream. 120 cals

I like both of these because they are filling (protein or fiber) and they physically take longer to eat with a spoon. I take tiny bites.

That refried beans, salsa and sour cream sounds yummy. I will have to try that
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited June 2016
    I have a snack, "aka" 5th meal at 10pm every night.

A premier protein fiber bar
    A snack I baked, Crustless cheesecake, carrot cupcake
    Ice cream (you could try halo top or Arctic zero)
    Vanilla Greek yogurt with berries and nuts.

Those are the ones I tend to stick to, mostly the first and last.