Significant others that don't understand calorie counting

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue here is definitely that he didn't ask me in advance. Had he said last night, "Hey, I want to go to dinner tomorrow night", I would had been able to plan accordingly. By the time I had breakfast and lunch I was already at 1400 calories. I usually eat around 2000-2100. Some of the chain restaurants we like, it's not hard to blow those calories out of the water. Not to mention he kept asking me what some low calorie options are and wouldn't hone in on a specific restaurant. Hopefully he'll take into consideration what I said about planning in advance. And I know for a fact that if I went and didn't order anything he would get upset just the same as if I said I didn't want to go. I have avoided eating out for the most part because I like knowing what's going into my food and how many calories I'm really consuming. When I cook at home, I am in total control of that.
    I truly doubt that finding 600 calories for a meal is really that hard in any restaurant.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    OP you've been given a lot of great advice. I sit in the "he should tell you by X time" camp. It's just plain rude to expect someone to drop everything and go out at a moment's notice, especially when they have requested a little advance notice. It's not like you're telling him you'll never eat out with him again. It's literally asking for a little consideration from someone you are in a relationship with. It's manners.

That said, lots of chain restaurants have their menus and calorie contents online. Could you pick a low calorie option for each place? Lots of places also offer the lunch sized portions of the entrees which are smaller and less calories.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have different methods of dieting. He has a lot of self control and is able to be on a 'clean' diet for long periods of times. He understands that I need to count in order to stay on track. He didn't get it at first, but after a year of going off and on counting calories he has noticed that this is what works for me and my body. I think, for now, try to enjoy your time together and just order calorie friendly items. If he has a problem with that then there may be a more deeper issue that you both need to discuss.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have different methods of dieting. He has a lot of self control and is able to be on a 'clean' diet for long periods of times. He understands that I need to count in order to stay on track. He didn't get it at first, but after a year of going off and on counting calories he has noticed that this is what works for me and my body. I think, for now, try to enjoy your time together and just order calorie friendly items. If he has a problem with that then there may be a more deeper issue that you both need to discuss.

Maybe this guy likes bigger women. Maybe he is all about that bass.

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I cook ALL the time. I'm so grateful when my partner asks if I want to go out that it doesn't matter if I have fifteen calories left in the day, I say yes. Then I throw in an extra 20 minutes cardio for a couple days, or I plan an extra swim-session. To me, the important thing is to enjoy that time with my partner and not make myself insane because I don't have enough calories left to really have something fabulous when we're out.

So, yeah, my solution would be don't stress yourself over this,. It's not like you're going out every night, right? If you don't have many calories left and you aren't hungry, order a nice salad, or maybe the soup of the day. If you go over, and eat something tasty while enjoying quality time with your partner, just plan to throw in some extra exercise to compensate and let it go. :)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    your goal weight is appropriate. I'm the same height and am 15lbs from my goal of 154.

I sometimes just order a bowl of soup at a restaurant. He can have the big dinner-you sip on soup.

I'm out lots with my 2 young adult sons who both need a lot of calories. Soup for me if it is my small meal.

But yes consider if he is sabotaging you. Does he support you in other ways?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    If a person can't respect your feelings/needs around this issue, you may want to seriously consider if this person will respect other important areas of your life. Something to think about long term.....especially if marriage is being considered.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OP can't help your partner doesn't appreciate you anymore. There's nothing wrong with her wanting to plan ahead. It's not flattering when someone wants to take you out for a meal but only on their terms.

[quoted post removed by MFP mods]
  • missjessau
    missjessau Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    He does. He said that he liked how I looked at 185-190 lbs. But on a 5'6" frame that's just not healthy. And I felt so disgusting at that weight. I'm 162 now and I feel pretty good. I'll feel a lot better once I get to my goal weight. Which is 145-150. I think he misses the person that would be down to going to all you can eat buffets and didn't care about how much food I would eat. I told him that's not going to be my lifestyle anymore. He could stand to lose a little bit of weight himself, but would never do that.

I know a couple like that! Actually the boys tend to agree this guy is a bit of a "feeder", and yeah he could lose a few himself. But that is their choice and does not affect me.

My guy brings a lamington home for me occasionally (about 215 calories) but he also sees my training patterns and tends to put things in front of me knowing that I should probably replenish (I have some issues fuelling training sessions).

• Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My fiancé thinks weighing things is amusing but he understands it is what works for me. I'm a bigger dinner eater, purely because I cook for the two of us and his eating for breakfast/lunch is shocking, so I need to make sure he gets a good meal in. My calories for breakfast/lunch tend to be around 400 calories.

When it comes to going out, we normally say we will go out in a few days time. On the times we decided to eat out that day, I will have enough time to jiggle my calories around. If I don't? Well, I'll go out and eat anyway as a one-off, and fix the calorie average over the week.

If he's only asking once every couple of weeks or so, that doesn't sound like he is pushing for a lot. One meal out (when you can choose the best option) every so often won't derail your journey.

If he's asking all the time and seems like he is subtly trying to sabotage you because he wants the all-you-can-eat you back so he has an eating buddy for creature comforts, then you may have a problem as he hasn't realised that 'you' have changed. In a sad way, you may find that the new 'you' and old 'him' won't work on this journey going forward.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I think you both have to learn the art of compromise.
    Why don't you offer to cook 3 nights a week and give him 3 nights of going out for dinner.
    Pre plan your menu for the week knowing the days that you eat in or out may change but your calorie goal will stay the same.
    By now you probably know what his favourite restaurants are, look them up and plan 2-3 alternates for each place. This will give you the approximate calorie goal to build around on the days you eat out.

Or as mentioned up thread start logging your all your dinners the on the following day then you will know how much to eat for lunch and dinner that day. ( ie: you eat out on Tuesday but log it as Wednesday's dinner) your weekly goal will still be the same but it gives you room to manoeuvre.

Cheers, h.
  • Tyrannasaur
    Tyrannasaur Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think "I'd love to go out for dinner just give me more notice so I can plan ahead." Is already a fair enough compromise. I don't understand how he can have an issue with that if he respects you, your time, your needs, and your goals.

I have a friend who needs to know the day before if we're going to catch up for drinks in the evening. It's annoying because there are times where you have a tough day and just want to spontaneously go for a drink after work but that's not enough notice, and there's no other reason for it except that makes him more comfortable, we both live a short walking distance from our local, no partner/kids for him to plan around - But he made it clear so my options are to just go along with it, or spend less time with him. I chose the former as he is a dear friend, and I don't need to understand his needs, just respect them.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    "I tend to avoid eating out in general due to the high sodium content."

Why? The salt in a few meals out will have no negative impact on health or weight loss over the long term.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The way I handle surprise outings:
    Eat at maintenance that day...or
    Log what I planned for that day, but eat it tomorrow and log today's outing tomorrow, planning around it, basically say I had low calorie chili planned for the evening, but then I had to go out and had a lasagna. I would log the chili, as if I had it today and log the lasagna for tomorrow, planning around it to fit, but eat the chili.