Goal setting % in MFP

Options
Because I am starting over, I find myself staring at the goal settings wondering if I should go with MFP which has high carbs and far and low protein or should I adjust it somehow. I fall into the very seriously obese category and am surprised that MFP has given me Carbs 50%, Fat 30% and Protein 20%. I have put no exercise as I want to do it but not count it as such so I don't eat extra stuff. Also I have a hip problem which has made the weight situation blow out of control the last 6 months. What suggestions do you guys have? What % have you used for really successful weight loss?

Replies

• philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The % of your macros doesn't matter for weight loss - calories are the only thing that count. However I find that a higher % of protein keeps me fuller for longer, which helps keep me from over eating therefore sticking to my calorie allowance. If you like plenty of carbs you can still have them, if you'd rather have less that's fine too. The important bit for weight loss is sticking to the calorie allowance.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 90 pounds on that MFP default macro split.

That's an adequate amount of protein (although more is fine if that works with your way of eating) and it's not really that high on carbs. It's actually lower carb and higher protein than I've done previously and I feel more satiated than I have in the past when losing weight.

Here's info about the RDA of macros:

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients

Notice the wide range of percentages that are valid for each macro.

The most important thing is to find a macro balance that works for you and meets at least your minimum protein and fat needs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mfp isn't 'high' carb. But if you get on better eating less then change the setting manually.

At the end of the day, weight loss is about calories.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Log how you are eating and note the trend. You will be able to see what your actual breakdown is. After a couple of weeks if you are not happy with how you eat matches up with the MFP recommendation you can change it to suit your preferred WOE (way of eating).

I have mine at 40carbs, 30protein, 30fats. I works well for me as I am older and want a higher protein level to assist in muscle retention.

Cheers, h.
  • cheezels83
    cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice! :-)
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    cheezels83 wrote: »
    Because I am starting over, I find myself staring at the goal settings wondering if I should go with MFP which has high carbs and far and low protein or should I adjust it somehow. I fall into the very seriously obese category and am surprised that MFP has given me Carbs 50%, Fat 30% and Protein 20%. I have put no exercise as I want to do it but not count it as such so I don't eat extra stuff. Also I have a hip problem which has made the weight situation blow out of control the last 6 months. What suggestions do you guys have? What % have you used for really successful weight loss?

Every nutritionist and trainer I have talked to has encouraged higher protein and lower carbs and to be specific those carbs should come from more fruits and veggies with natural fiber over refined flours and added sugars. The fats should come from nuts, healthy oils, and things like avocados instead of saturated fats and fried foods. Trust me when I say a calorie is not a calorie if you care about nutrition and not just weight loss. I am currently set to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. A general rule of thumb is to try to get between 65-100 grams of protein in a day.