Midday and most of the calories are gone...

Options
I know I messed up this morning when dh brought me a cheese slider from White Castle and fries. Mind you this was about 3am and I am about two weeks in so I'm a newb but now it's lunch time and even after logging my exercises for the day and meals I only have like 300 calories left for the whole day. I'm not sure what to eat for dinner or should I just count this day a loss? Any suggestions?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It depends how seriously you want to preserve your calorie deficit after that 3 a.m. slider. I've got a jicama in the fridge, which is a low-cal sugary snack, and I've got a bunch of vegetables in the fridge and freezer, which are low in calorie density. If I had to get through half a day on 300 calories, I think I could. In your case, you may have to go grocery shopping.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you have exercised, that will add to your calorie intake and minimize the damage. I sometimes stumble. I am reaching my 30 pounds lost mark and have had a few days like this. It doesn't destroy all your work to have one day. Back to back to back days like this would. So do not be so hard on yourself. Know that we are all human and crave the comfort foods. Make good choices for the rest of the day that benefit your nutrition and try again tomorrow.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's a good day for intermittent fasting, where you eat all your calories in 10 hours, and fast for 14. If you prefer eating early in the day, you could do it everyday. Then it's a positive instead of a negative! It's supposed to be good for blood sugar, insulin resistance, blood lipids, and neurogenesis, as well as weight loss.
  • NHDaisy2
    NHDaisy2 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have done this in the past - I typically call it a loss and move on the next day. Make sure you contine to log your food though.

Depending on what you end up over for the day you could also reduce your calories over the next few days to make up for the overage.

Whatever you decide just remember - this is life and these things happen sometimes.

• JamesBost2016
    JamesBost2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There are alot of cliches that fit. One day at a time, baby steps, fall down get back up. If all means that as long as you keep going in the right direction of should not be considered a loss just a set back for a minute. We are not perfect, we falter. Don't be hard on yourself. Keep logging it will help you learn.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I say chalk it up as a choice you maybe don't care to repeat, and then continue on with your normal eating for the day. I always think it's a bad idea to try to compensate for overeating, whether it's by severely restricting or by exercising. It may work for some, but I've been in a terrible cycle of overeating and then trying to compensate, which just led to more overeating.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    when i have days like this i eat over my goal but try to be careful not to eat more than my TDEE (the number of calories needed to maintain your weight). that way the day was neither a gain nor a loss, just neutral. i'm not hungry but i don't have any reason to feel bad either.

actually, i think this way of thinking really helped me learn to eat well (i'm still learning, actually). i used to say, "oh i went over my goal. so i may as well eat whatever i want now and start again tomorrow." but this way i've learned that you don't need to throw everything away if you mess up a bit. you'll still get to your goal, but one day later. and that's ok.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Look over your previous 6 days. Do you have uneaten calories? Add them up and add them in to today's so you are still under for the week (either do it in your head or go back and log food you eat today under a previous day. Banking calories for a future splurge is not an issue. It also is not a good thing to do all the time for some people and eating more today thinking you will make up for it in the next few days is also not a good idea and usually backfires because you get hungry.

If you don't have extras banked, write it off as a learning experience and move on.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Remember this is a long-term Journey. One bad day is not going to screw you up over the course of a month.

Just log it and forget about it. I've had good days I've had bad days. The only thing I do when I have my bad days I log it to. By logging it you're being accountable to yourself and that's the only person you need to be accountable to.