Worst things about getting healthy and fit?

Options
It is not all sunshine , rainbows and progress pics.
I cannot be the only one that has the is it all worth it moments.
Physio visits , missed parties, injures , having a great butt and quads that now will not fit into normal jeans, throwing out beloved beautiful clothes because you lost weight , losing boobs, having to defend your exercising , blisters , callouses ... The list goes on.

Still I wouldn't go back to my old ways but really there has to be somethings that just suck about this

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Injuries are the only things really on that list that get me. I love keeping active and feeling like I'm making progress/getting better, so having to sit it out or take it easy winds me up even when I know it's the best thing to do for the long term.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I was fit, slender and healthy up till early 2009.

Then I lost my fitness because of DVT, travel, moving, stress ... and it was kind of a downhill spiral.

But I'm back now. I'm fit, slender and healthy again.

And I can't think of anything that sucks about it. It's just so nice to be back. :)
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Vowing to yourself to never skip lifting days unless you have an injury or moderately serious illness kinda sucks when you have a wicked sunburn. I've never felt so much pain simply by having a heavy barbell across my traps.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Vowing to yourself to never skip lifting days unless you have an injury or moderately serious illness kinda sucks when you have a wicked sunburn. I've never felt so much pain simply by having a heavy barbell across my traps.

Ah been there being Scottish and dealing with summer and squats it's a bloody disaster

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My wallet hurts from replacing all of my clothes (even though I shop mostly clearance).

Also, my boobs.... are severely lacking these days.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Worst thing about getting fit and healthy? I need to maintain it unless I want to waste all that effort I put into it so far. Better learn to like exercising and watching what I eat for rest of my life... Sigh
  • sureitstime
    sureitstime Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'll second the injuries and physio visits! They suck!
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Injuries for sure and having your routine/habits make other people competitive. Also realizing that what you eat, how you workout, how you look etc. doesn't make al aspects of your life feel better. Relationships that are strained can remain strained sadly! Your kids challenges don't change
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    My ortho issues have actually gotten worse as I've lost (Booooo!) and the cost of constantly replacing clothes has had me contemplate nudism...and then I remember I'm Canadian ;) lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Attitude is what dictates how you feel about it. If you look at those as negatives of weight loss, then your fitness journey may be short lived. For example to the negatives you posted:

Physio visits: Find out you're in better shape and health than most people your age
    missed parties: That's a choice not a mandatory given
    injures: injuries can happen at any time. If one is overweight and out of shape, injuries can be more devastating versus those with the same injury while in shape
    having a great butt and quads that now will not fit into normal jeans: Lol, then by jeans that fit
    throwing out beloved beautiful clothes because you lost weight: or donate them them and get new clothes that fit your new body
    losing boobs: Okay, this would suck
    having to defend your exercising , blisters , callouses: Why do you have to defend them? People that complain about them obviously don't have the discipline to do the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Really, for me, it's the cost! I certainly don't begrudge the gym membership - that is a vital part of my daily life now, and I have a local council-run gym membership, which allows me full entry and all classes at three different gyms, 2 pools, 2 cycle tracks, outdoor sports facilities etc - so it's a good deal. But it's also the clothes, gym and work/casual wear. I love my new clothes, 2 sizes smaller than what I was wearing last year, but I'm also aware that I'm only halfway to my goal weight - so it's likely I'll have to shell out for a new wardrobe then. I've tried to be smart with my purchases - ebay and charity shopping has turned up some complete gems - but it's still an expensive outlay, when you add up in stuff like new underwear (absolutely every single bra and all my knickers are new this year) etc. I've consciously moved to having a 'capsule wardrobe', so I suspect not everything will get replaced when I lose more weight. My final wardrobe will likely be much smaller in numbers than now - and I think that's OK! It may well be the best thing, budget-wise!
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle I do love and wouldn't change it for the world but was having a crappy morning , felt like I'd been run over by a truck so felt like a whinge before dragging my butt to the gym
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Attitude is what dictates how you feel about it. If you look at those as negatives of weight loss, then your fitness journey may be short lived. For example to the negatives you posted:

Physio visits: Find out you're in better shape and health than most people your age
    injures: injuries can happen at any time. If one is overweight and out of shape, injuries can be more devastating versus those with the same injury while in shape
    having a great butt and quads that now will not fit into normal jeans: Lol, then by jeans that fit
    throwing out beloved beautiful clothes because you lost weight: or donate them them and get new clothes that fit your new body
    having to defend your exercising , blisters , callouses: Why do you have to defend them? People that complain about them obviously don't have the discipline to do the same.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Good response to all the negatives. My only negative is that in the past 4-5 years I've bought all these clothes I liked (outdoorsy, pricey stuff like ski wear,etc), but could never afford. Now, I'm unemployed and won't be able to shop like I want to to replace that stuff. Do you think it would be tacky to start a GoFundMe page for clothes? ;) I feel better than I have in a long, long time and there's no going back. I can thank all the wonderful people on here for all their good advice.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Kudos to the positive-minded people here.

I hate strength training. It's wack! As necessary as it is for running, it is a pain in my *kitten*.
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I second (third?) the injuries stuff. Was highly athletic my whole life. Had two kids and started an extremely high pressure job, and the next thing you know 12 years passed with no consistent exercise. Trying to ease back into it, but dammit, I was an athlete and my mind is ready to go-go-go long before my body. Seems like I injure a different tendon every month and have to backtrack to strengthen the supporting muscles. Secretly makes me angry at all the people who could work out, but choose not to.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue was when I realized my very expensive suit was huge on me.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    But, but, I WANT to lose boobs!

So far the only downside I've experienced is the high cost of replacement clothes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I've been frequenting thrift shops/OP shops as I've lost weight. Salvos has 50% off different coloured tags each week, and I can pick up a skirt or top for about $2.50. :)
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can't really think of anything that is worse than what being overweight was like. I've been lucky and haven't injured myself so far, perhaps because my fitness progress is very gradual. I agree that there are costs involved; I do have larger supermarket bills now that I buy so much fresh produce and even the frozen and tinned veggies and fruit are more expensive than buying giant packs of crisps or pasta. I guess having to be mindful all the time is probably the hardest bit, but as they say, if you want to look like a fit person, you have to live the life of a fit person. I mostly enjoy it and have fun :)