How many doctors does it take....

Options
This topic is about working with a medical team to resolve chronic underweight issues. We have plenty of suggestions on high calorie foods to try, so let's please save that for a different thread.

Short story: I use to naturally maintain a bmi of 20 (21 in the winter). It looked GREAT on me, if not a little lean. I had zero food worries, even when it came to Nutella. Until I lost my appetite 10 months ago.

About a month in, I realized it was out of my control, and went to the doctor. I'm 9 doctors in to getting "second opinions", and my bmi is now 17.8. My condition is absolutely ruining my life. My husband and I agree that if I had not seen a single doctor in all of this time, I'd be at exactly the same place I am now.

How in the world do I get REAL treatment? Or even OK treatment? See another doctor, ad nauseum? The past 3 I have seen, I gave all of my logs and info, and said that I want to look into tube feeding. They thought it was extreme. So... I'm trying a new food plan, antacids, and waiting for my symptoms to magically resolve in between appointments to make them more comfortable. (*spoiler* It's not working!) My next batch of appointments is this week, and I'm going to continue to emphasize that it IS that serious, I CAN'T do enough on my own, and I DO need NEW solutions. I'm not sure what else to do...

What would you do? Do you think there is more information I could provide, different words I can use, different doctors I should try? I really want to give up on them completely, but I feel they are between me and my recovery.

Have you experienced a medical road block into getting sufficient treatment for your underweight? Please share your experience.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• mademar
    mademar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After years of struggling with my daughters weight, from being 12 pounds at 2 years olds - she is currently 19 years olds and weighs 89 pounds, and is 4' 8". We found help when she was 5 years old (~20 pounds) at the Kennedy Krieger Institute 707 North Broadway, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 Website: kennedykrieger.org
    (410) 502 - 8498
    (800) 873 - 3377
    The Medical Director was Dr. Richard Katz
    This is a Pediatric Feeding Disorders Program that is very comprehensive. They may be able to help in you or know an adult program that is available. At the time, we were in the program the ages ranged from birth to age 21.
    We live in Liverpool, NY. So, we stayed at the Ronald McDonald House in Baltimore. Our daughter was in the program full time for three months. It saved her life. She does still continue to struggle with eating however, she knows how much she has to eat to remain healthy.

We experienced the same medical road blocks in our area, too. Once we exhausted all our New York resources at Physician at Strong Hospital in Rochester told us to look into the Kennedy Krieger Institute.

There is help out there. We were lucky and our insurance covers 90% of the cost of our stay in Baltimore.

Mary Ann
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this. I assume they have tried appetite stimulants for you? Believe it or not, antihistamines are appetite stimulants, and on of the ones they prescribe is a very strong one. But you can try Benedryl on your own if you can tolerate it.

Please keep us posted. (((hugs)))
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What sort of testing have you been through?
  • sueelaineparker
    sueelaineparker Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I personally would also want to see a doctor who wants to look into why you suddenly lost your appetite. I don't want to worry you but certain medical conditions can cause this therefore leading to quick weight loss.
    I presume you're in America? I work in healthcare in the UK so I'm not sure how it works for you to get appointments? But I would want bloods taken, glands checked and just a thorough examination to make sure there isn't a more concerning diagnosis
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Which type of doctors have you seen?
  • Spontaneously
    Spontaneously Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    mademar wrote: »
    After years of struggling...We found help when she was 5 years old (~20 pounds) at the Kennedy Krieger Institute 707 North Broadway, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 Website: kennedykrieger.org
    THANK YOU, Mary Ann. I'm near DC, so this is totally within the range of possibilities.

QuietBloom wrote: »
    I assume they have tried appetite stimulants for you? Believe it or not, antihistamines are appetite stimulants, and on of the ones they prescribe is a very strong one. But you can try Benedryl on your own if you can tolerate it.
    You'd think so, but I've asked for them by name and have been brushed off. (Same thing for high calorie supplements outside of Boost & Ensure.) After this week, I'm going to order a bottle of Apetamin if we continue to make zero progress with medical supervision. I've been smoking herb, (and my med team knows it) but I really want an alternative.

psulemon wrote: »
    Which type of doctors have you seen?
    Urgent care, primary care, nutrition, ob/gyn, GI and parinatal nutrition.

Hi
    I personally would also want to see a doctor who wants to look into why you suddenly lost your appetite. I don't want to worry you but certain medical conditions can cause this therefore leading to quick weight loss.
    Whole heartedly agree. I'm frustrated, but continue to play the odds until I find a doctor with whom it "clicks". I'm in the USA, now pregnant, and not flying, but thank you.

usmcmp wrote: »
    What sort of testing have you been through?
    In Nov: blood for CBC with differential/platelet, Comprehensive Metabolic Panel showed low creatinine serum, high BUN/Creatinine ratio, low chloride serum (recommendation, drink more water). Thyroid stimulating hormone normal.

In Dec: blood for Hepatitis B & C, Transflutaminase IgA, Deaminated Glidadin IgA, IgA, H Pylori IgG, Lipase (high), HIV1/HIV2 Ab

In Jan: Upper GI endoscopy to the second portion of duodenum showed everything looks normal. Biopsies taken in stomach to rule out H. pylori, biopsies from second portion of duodenum to rule out celiac.

Jan: Right upper quadrant ultrasound, no gallstones or cholecystitis. GI says "You likely have IBS."

May: blood test for nutritional deficiencies, results due this week.

Note: I want ALL of these tests redone, plus comprehensive stool test, check for worms, parasites, fungus, yeast…, full physical, colonoscopy, complete allergy panel, and some of those they do with radioactive material and watch absorption. *some of these they won't touch with a stick now because I'm pregnant.

How many calories are you eating?
    97czz7xn6d5i.jpg
    Please don't tell me to eat more pb.

Thanks All.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do you have any other physical symptoms, other than loss of appetite and weight loss?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I know you said that you don't want a list of "high calorie" foods, but, have you tried a weight gainer?

Something like this?

Essentially, you drink it like a shake and then eat normally for the rest of the day. It's 1250 calories for one serving, so this would nearly double your calorie intake.

In my opinion, since this is an issue of less appetite it seems like it may be hormonal as opposed to psychological (like an eating disorder). If i were in your shoes i would try this for a month (adding 1 shake a day), and if you still haven't gained, then i'd take those calorie logs to an endocrinologist. Right now i don't think you're consuming enough calories to gain consistently, and frankly no matter what the problem is this is a necessity to start making some changes.

So, force yourself if you have to, but get MORE calories consistently for atleast a month, and THEN if you're still not losing weight see a doctor who specializes in metabolic disorders. If you do start gaining (which i think is very likely) but you still feel like there is something wrong with your appetite, then you should still see an endocrinologist.

edit: P.S. I think this is especially important since you are now pregnant. Finding the help of both an OB/GYN and an ENDO who are on the same page are going to be vital in ensuring a healthy pregnancy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you are near DC, Hopkins has an excellent gastro program. http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/profiles/results/search/

search Gastroenterology.

Switching doctors is like restarting the search each time - tell your gastro that the initial search wasn't useful - what's next.

Pregnant and smoking weed? Probably not a great idea, you'll have to weigh the risks/benefits.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    How far along are you?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When my wife lost her appetite and got to a low BMI, her psychiatrist recommended her to a Dietician. The Dietician stumbled around the little colored plate with portioned areas representing vegetables, starch, and meat, then found her mojo and said, "And put butter on your bread. And put butter on your mashed potatoes. And have ice cream for dessert. "
  • Spontaneously
    Options
    Do you have any other physical symptoms, other than loss of appetite and weight loss?
    Yes. Acid like a mother-trucker, mucus in throat and stool, food intolerances (amplified with pregnancy :( Constipation/diarrhea, quick to feel full (and feeling like every day I've had a Thanksgiving dinner), sharp pain in upper left and right abs at rib cage that is worse at some periods than others, and junk that comes with being underweight such as bone pain, easily bruising and weakness/fatigue.
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I know you said that you don't want a list of "high calorie" foods, but, have you tried a weight gainer? Something like this?

In my opinion, since this is an issue of less appetite it seems like it may be hormonal as opposed to psychological (like an eating disorder).

Right now i don't think you're consuming enough calories to gain consistently, and frankly no matter what the problem is this is a necessity to start making some changes.

So, force yourself if you have to, but get MORE calories consistently for at least a month, and THEN if you're still not losing weight see a doctor who specializes in metabolic disorders. If you do start gaining (which i think is very likely) but you still feel like there is something wrong with your appetite, then you should still see an endocrinologist.
    I haven't tried this specific formula, but have worked through many different types of protein powder, drinks and supplements at CVS, Walmart & some in GNC. I really like the caloric bang of this one, and would be willing to try it in a smaller package. Lately, whey protein comes right back up (even mixed in water). It seems like to have milk products, they need to not be lactose free per-say, but have some additional cooking or processing of something out of them. Sometimes soy and coconut also don't stay down, but it's something I keep trying because they're so damn full of calories and protein.

I'm glad you can see it's not a psychologically induced eating disorder. It's very similar in symptoms, minus the BIG fact that I DON'T WANT THIS. Being underweight isn't sexy when you shop from the girl's section.

There's no more forcing of eating I can do. I literally spend each waking hour eating and waiting to stuff more food in. That's why I'm considering tube feeding... it's just not enough. Consistency would be an AMAZING goal. I haven't figured out how to eat any number of calories consistently day to day, so I go through loops of taking in as much as the day will allow, then being forced into "rest days" by symptom aggravation. *smh*

I hadn't thought of an endocrinologist. FABULOUS idea. Thank you kindly.

If you are near DC, Hopkins has an excellent gastro program.

Switching doctors is like restarting the search each time - tell your gastro that the initial search wasn't useful - what's next.

Pregnant and smoking weed? Probably not a great idea, you'll have to weigh the risks/benefits.

YES! I was thinking about them, and that also seems like completely within the range of reason. Thank you for the recommendation. I like what we did at the GI, but think we need to get further in.

As practical advice for this series of appointments, I'm definitely adding "What's next?" to my list.

I agree, smoking is not ideal, and not a decision I take lightly. It has been the most effective in treating nausea, especially retching, and very good for my appetite. However, it does have side effects, which I weigh against the effects of not eating. Honestly, I'm afraid of waiting until I am "hungry", and I'm afraid of not inducing the munchies. My weight slips so quickly! Every single day that you see above 1200 calories is attributed to the munchies, especially the 2000 cal ones. Ironically, not a single one of the 9 has asked me to stop or suggested alternatives. The side effects of Apetamine (antihistamine) seem on par, or similar to those of smoking or being underweight, and I'm definitely seeing it as a viable alternative.

Thanks for everything.
    When my wife lost her appetite and got to a low BMI, her psychiatrist recommended her to a Dietician. The Dietician stumbled around the little colored plate with portioned areas representing vegetables, starch, and meat, then found her mojo and said, "And put butter on your bread. And put butter on your mashed potatoes. And have ice cream for dessert. "
    I might've heard that somewhere before. Please check out my food logs to see if it is working. They are public! Thanks.
    How far along are you?
    2nd trimester. This batch of Dr's wanted me to wait until then to see if my appetite would (spontaneously) spring back, like many pregnant women. It hasn't.

Really appreciate how this thread is going. I have list of questions and things for their consideration, and have found a few great pieces to add because of your responses. Please keep it coming!
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Have you tried drinking calories? My wife had no appetite 1st and 3rd trimester. So we supplemented a lot with chocolate and strawberry milk.

Averaging 2100 is probably too low to gain weight. I know it is for many of the women here who aren't preggo.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking calories? My wife had no appetite 1st and 3rd trimester. So we supplemented a lot with chocolate and strawberry milk.

Averaging 2100 is probably too low to gain weight. I know it is for many of the women here who aren't preggo.

That is way too low to gain weight. I maintain on more and am about the same size.
  • Spontaneously
    Options
    OF COURSE I've tried drinking calories. This thread is about working with doctors, perhaps to learn how to drink ALL of my calories with very little milk products.

I'm going back in today - wish me luck!
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OF COURSE I've tried drinking calories. This thread is about working with doctors, perhaps to learn how to drink ALL of my calories with very little milk products.

I'm going back in today - wish me luck!

Well I would start with some of the teaching hospitals (hopkins, Georgetown, MedStar Washington) to see what their opinions are. My wife had great doctors at Sibley Hopsital (GI), Georgetown (GI) and Medstar (Endochronology/Cardiology), but also have gotten great support for all her medical issues from Georgetown and Medstar. Unfortunately, since you are pregnant, they might just attribute this to that, but it's worth a start.

Luckily, you do live in an area with a plethora of health care options.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about ulcerative colitis? I have it and pregnancy was the trigger for me. I hope you don't but a lot of the symptoms you mentioned sounded awfully familiar.
  • Spontaneously
    Options
    Hi,

Here's the latest:

At the appointments I was preparing for, the Doc's did seem appreciative that I waited, prepared, and returned. At face value, I could look like one with anorexia nervosa, but I think we're establishing a bit more rapport. I suggested an internal yeast infection (candida) as a potential cause. The ob-gyn thought it was reasonable enough and safe enough to try an oral Nystatin solution to see if things improved.

She also prescribed cyproheptadine (Apetamine), and I've tried that a couple of times. It seems helpful, but it causes me nausea before the appetite part kicks in. :/

The acid got worse, and I decided I wasn't going to up the Nexium again. I spent a couple of weeks weening myself from it, then from Tums, and the acid is much more under control now. I think they can be more hurtful than helpful in the long term (more than a week or so).

In the third week of June, I noticed things improving! It's hard to pin exactly which of the factors were most influential, but I have been more easily able to meet my caloric goal of 2200 with less medicinal aid. It's wonderful! I don't feel like I'm doing something wrong by eating a low calorie vegetable each day, now. However, my belly is growing rapidly and I'd really like the scale to pick up. I'm gaining ~1 lb a week, and today upped my caloric goal to 2700. I'm trying to learn how to meet these goals with less 40% of my calories from candy and dessert sources, but that's definitely a work in progress.

jehx026lu7wb.jpg
    jmgj27 wrote: »
    Have you thought about ulcerative colitis? ...a lot of the symptoms you mentioned sounded awfully familiar.

Yes. Definitely something that's still on my radar. Things seem pretty decent atm, but I am still keeping logs and paying a lot of attention so that we still might be able to learn what's triggered all of this mess and if it is something chronically degenerative. Right now, it seems difficult to diagnose even gluten and milk intolerances, and I think the med teams will be more responsive/dig deeper following the pregnancy.

Thanks All.
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, it sounds like your doctors are doing a great job. That's a lot of tests and they're above and beyond the tests I would expect from such a situation. I know when people are frustrated to find answers or want an easy solution it's easy to point fingers at the doctors, but I'm willing to bet they're doing the best they can, and you seem to be on the uptrend which is great! To be perfectly honest, a lot of your symptoms sound like severe side effects of pregnancy to me.
    Glad things are getting better!
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I have nothing to contribute to this thread except that I wish you the best of luck! But I'm gratified to see how helpful everyone is being!