Is it only me.... Or does this happen to everyone?!

Options
So I have been doing really good... then suddenly my eating habits slip back to the bad way they use to be and the weight comes back. It is so frustrating because I work so hard to lose the few pounds I can and then they can just come back it seems like over night. If there is anyone that this has happened to please fill be in how I can stop this cycle of doing great and the slipping and gaining weight again!!! :(

Replies

• giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this happens to everybody. It's just a matter of staying strong. Old habits are hard to break as the saying goes. As long as you recognize that you're falling back into them, that's half the battle. Good luck.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    i found the way to make sure u dont slip back is to make a lifestyle change instead of go on a diet.
    when ur on a diet ur hungry, u dont get to eat anything u like, etc, etc, and this just makes them very hard to stick to...
    but if instead u did exactly what ur doing normally but just make ur portions smaller... that can be the first step..
    then like a week later u could try substituing unhealthy food for healthier alternatives..
    and that way u dont slide back..
  • lteele47
    lteele47 Posts: 3
    Options
    That has been happening to me as well. I bust my BEEEHIND and will slip on something small and my body gains. Its the craziest thing. Plus I am not even going over my calories. I am interested to see what people say.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE!! For me, it seems like when I cheat and eat something fast food, it triggers something in me or something and I have trouble the next few days eating right...so I have to watch how often I eat fast food when I cheat....
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. We are both yo-yo dieters. I think part of the issue is that when you feel like you are doing fantastic and you see results you either a.) reward yourself with food or b.) think you have a false sense of control over the issue and think that a "minor indulgence" won't sabotage your efforts...but sooner or later those "minor indulgences" add up and you're right back where you started. I've been there and done that more times then I can count. Think about where you started and where you want to go. Acknowledge where you are now and how far you have come but don't forget that this isn't the finish line...there is no finish line. Once you reach your goal weight, it will always be a challenge to maintain but you have to recognize that you are strong and if you can learn to enjoy caring for yourself then it will never feel like a battle..it will just feel like second nature :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't believe in deprivation. If you are soooo strict and only eat things like salad and egg whites all the time with no sugar in anything, you're going to get sick of it really quickly. Maybe once a week you need to allow yourself an indulgence like some chocolate or whatever it is you like. Don't stress about it, just burn a few extra calories in the gym and it'll be just fine. Then get right back on track and know that you can be strong for the next 6 days because your next treat is coming again soon.
  • koolkat92
    koolkat92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It happens to most of us. You just have to be aware everyday of what you want to accomplish. Weekends are horrible for me. I like to have a few cocktails but I have to keep in mind what I am drinking. So just be mindfull and you will accomplish your goal. Remember this is a marathon not a race. Day by day and stay strong!!
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yes you are not alone!

For me, it's slipping into emotional eating that gets me- a combo of stress at work, fatigue, boredom and TOM! It's a vicious cycle.

It takes me a while to get my motivation back, like now, after 4 weeks of just binge eating and no exercise I started to notice my jeans were getting a little tight around my thighs :sad:
    Sadly, I had to wait that long to realise again that I need to start doing something about my health.

Here I go again!

Stay strong and remind yourself your inspiration
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    You have described the pattern I have been in for 5 years. I would always jump in with both feet and be gong ho for a month and then fall completely into old bad habits. So rather than losing or maintaining, I was gaining about 10 lbs a year.

this January i decided on a difference approach. I set a modest monthly goal of 5 lbs a month and gave myself 16 months to hit it. I also decided to focus on the small changes necessary to get healthy. So far so good. Here are some of the rules I have tried to follow:

1. When faced with a choice, I make the healthier one.
    2. When I failed to do number 1, I don't let that lead to a second or third bad choice. (i.e. one cookie doesn't lead to the whole bag.)
    3. I drink my water quota every day ( and many days, well over. )
    4. I've committed to working out in the morning every weekday. (if I miss one day, I don't miss the next. - although this week I have been bad at that, but I have worked out in the evening instead.)
    5. I log everything!!!!! Mindless eating really was my biggest problem.
    6. If I fail at any of the above, I forgive myself, and recognize that I can't be perfect, but I can get right back in there and do better the next time.

Good luck to you!!!:flowerforyou:
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Hi I stands to reason this will happen. We have a default lifestyle and our weight will match this default if ever we slip back to it.

I know I will be using MFP for life now. If I stop, I will get fat. Logging calories in what I need to do to be accountable. I know this sounds miserable, but it is what "naturally thin" people do by default without thinking about it. They are able to keep track of what they consume and what they expend as second nature and make natural adjustments to their intake to regulate their weight. I have noticed this of all my friends. The rest of us have to do it in a more explicit way by logging and exercising for life. I really enjoy doing it, but then I am a organised freek by nature so MFP suits me!

What do you think the reasons are for your slippage?
  • specialk365
    Options
    happened couple times to me also, when u feel the urge try to focus ur mind on something else, like reading, cleaning or exercise, or have a cup a soup which is low in calorie, i also heard chewing gum is a good one too
  • MAGWAG
    MAGWAG Posts: 5
    Options
    Thats when you know your stressing so hard over your diet. I do it too! We HAVE TO let ourselves splurge once in awhile. I found what helps is I stay on my diet everyday but once a week I splurge, not majorly but have a restaurant dinner or something. I usually go about 2,000 calories over when I splurge. And yes I went overboard yesterday and its like I gained 3 pounds from it! But this may be a little TMI but have you gone to the bathroom lately? Because when I do its like I lose the 3 pounds I gained!
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    So I have been doing really good... then suddenly my eating habits slip back to the bad way they use to be and the weight comes back. It is so frustrating because I work so hard to lose the few pounds I can and then they can just come back it seems like over night. If there is anyone that this has happened to please fill be in how I can stop this cycle of doing great and the slipping and gaining weight again!!! :(

Don't try to be perfect, just try to have more good days than bad ones. :smile:
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Some great analysis of the chronic yo-you dieter here people. It is so interesting / bloody annoying how self aware we all are, but seemingly unable to do much about it.:sad: Battle on!!! we will be slim for life :laugh:
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I dont know if it happens to everybody, but it certainly happens to me :laugh: . Dont give up. It takes a while for new habits to kick-in. Just keep at it. It's a total lifestyle change, so just know that if you over indulge (which I think is ok from time to time) just know what to expect as far as weight gain, accxept it and go back to your healthy eating and excersize habit. Life's not fair but it's fabulous!
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I allow one day per week where I can splurge a little...have a dessert...drinks...cheeseburger...pizza...whatever. I don't gorge myself, but allow one treat so that I am not depriving myself and am even ok with going over my calorie limit a little that day. I have also found that I can kick my cravings for bad food with healthy alternatives. Instead of ice cream, I choose low fat, no sugar addeed frozen yogurt. I have found that making simple substitutions helps tremendously. I highly recommend checking out the "Eat This, Not That" books and website. They make some great recommendations on healthy food swaps.
  • percussionbeat
    percussionbeat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Happening to me right now, actually. Just got back to work after my leave and I'm snacking so much more, thanks to wonderful colleagues who always bring such yummies to work. Also, my days are a lot longer: I'm up at 5.30 and get home about 7 every day, and as a teacher I do quite a bit of standing and moving around, so I get hungry a little faster than when I was just at home.

I agree with the others in that if there's a choice, make the healthier one. I've been snacking on fruit to help keep me full, but I've indulged in tarts, cheesecake etc now and then, just smaller portions. I'm still struggling with this, so I'll just have to wait and see how my weight goes. Good luck in your quest to maintain your routine, and know that you're not alone! Don't give up...we're all working through this together.
  • leialai
    leialai Posts: 8
    Options
    it's happened to me more times that i can count! so you are definitely not alone. I've recently joined OA because my weight and eating habits got to a point where they just seemed unmanageable. So now i don't plan to lose weight, or make drastic cut backs, i simply set myself a calorie limit that is better for my health and try and stick to it each day. I agree with what others have said about it not being a diet but a completely lifestyle change. Now i just take it one day at a time, coz if i try and think ahead it's too stressful!! but just for today i can probably manage with a few deep breaths and some words of encouragement... then if i can do that each day i'll be onto a winner! be gentle with yourself and don't beat yourself up about slipping, just focus on what you can do today :)
  • Gay11nell
    Gay11nell Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You will never be alone one this one. The first thing I've done is let as many people know my desire to be healthy and lose weight. This helps hold you accountable and people will remind you of your commitment. Then you many need a second circle of friends, ones who are more likely to help you than hinder you. Also I changed up what I eat every 3/4 weeks. That way I don't get bore or feel like I'm depriving my self of something, when it comes to food. Look for alternatives to certain food items, that you feel like you gotta have. 100 calories snacks and "red hots" help me out alot. Eventually willpower and self control will come into place.
  • Gay11nell
    Gay11nell Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    "You'll never regret the run you did, but you'll usually regret the run you didn't do"

@percussionbeat " I love this quote"