Exercising when exhausted

Options
Hello! Somewhat of a weird question from me, but hopefully someone has a bit of insight.

Stats: Female, 230 lbs. 1500 calorie goal. Lightly active every day - walk everywhere (about 3 miles per day). I aim to go to the gym three-four times a week for now, where I do both cardio and strength (machines).
Health issues: Tendency for low blood sugar (with shakes, fainting, lowered responsiveness), PCOS.

I have been working out on and off for most of my life, so I can usually judge when it is alright to go to the gym and when I should rest, in terms of colds and other minor illnesses or injuries. However, I have days where I feel very lethargic, without an evident cause. I assume it is partly due to the physical health issues and also due to being autistic, which sometimes leaves me overwhelmed. Lately, I have had days where I feel drained. I have followed my gym schedule despite this, hoping the exercise would actually provide me with surplus energy (and it is recommended for the health problems I have), but the opposite has happened. I have performed well during my training program, but once I am done, I am beyond exhausted.

The question then is; should I keep pushing myself to do the exercise as planned when I feel this way (usually lasts for a day or two) or should I take it as a sign my body needs rest?

Replies

• DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Have your Doctor check your iron levels. Low iron would make you more lethargic than usual.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a doctor question, not a forum question. There are dozens of things that could cause what you're talking about.
  • delineationfiguration
    delineationfiguration Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have your Doctor check your iron levels. Low iron would make you more lethargic than usual.

Sorry, I should have said that I have had blood work and most things are fine (except dropping blood sugar levels, after high spikes), though I am on a magnesium supplement. My blood sugar is well managed at the moment.
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options

So will low vitamin D
  • delineationfiguration
    Options

So will low vitamin D

Thank you for the suggestion :) Though I have fatty fish three times a week and the doctor did not find any deficiencies.
  • delineationfiguration
    Options
    This is definitely a doctor question, not a forum question. There are dozens of things that could cause what you're talking about.

Alright, thank you for your response. The doctor has no ideas, so I am just wondering if I should push through or not.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Does this by chance occur during your period? I feel lethargic during mine (right now) and I just push through, which hasn't harmed me yet!
  • delineationfiguration
    Options
    Does this by chance occur during your period? I feel lethargic during mine (right now) and I just push through, which hasn't harmed me yet!

Funny you should say that! I just had my period and pushed through on those days. In fact, exercise really helps me with the cramps and I felt energized afterwards. Which makes me scratching my head about these other days, where it seems to take whatever little energy I had to begin with and supply me with none.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    There's another answer, a simple one. You may just be drained some days.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    To directly answer your question, if I feel run down, start exercise, and haven't seriously perked up after 15 minutes or so, I'll stop the workout and either just stretch for a while or just go take a nap.
  • delineationfiguration
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    There's another answer, a simple one. You may just be drained some days.

Very likely, since I am the mother of two, autistic and one of my children is autistic too. Would you postpone the gym on those days or just follow the plan?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    If you're exhausted it means you need REST. Exercise is done for fitness and health reasons. It's NOT needed to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • delineationfiguration
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you're exhausted it means you need REST. Exercise is done for fitness and health reasons. It's NOT needed to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Alright, thank you so much for your input. I shall take that to heart and simply push the session forward a day or two.