Intermittent fasting - 30 pounds lost

Options
acmorris77
acmorris77 Posts: 80 Member
In February, My doctor told me I had high triglycerides and needed to be on medicine unless something changed. Losing weight was one of the things I needed to do in order to get my levels in line. She gave me the list of foods to avoid such as red meat, fried foods, and processed carbohydrates. Also, she told me that she recommends intermittent fasting as part of my daily eating habits and gave me an 8 hour window to eat every day. She said that the longer your body fasts (within reason) the longer it stays in fat burning mode. The Triglycerides live in the fat and will therefore be reduced.

So, I took the advice, started cutting back on red meat and processed foods and only eat within 7-8 hours. I usually eat from 11am to 6 at this point. Obviously, you have to stay within your calorie goal and can't eat 10,000 calories during your eating window. It's still calories in and calories out. But, IF has definitely played a role in me losing 30 lbs. since March 1st. I used to eat breakfast even when I wasn't hungry and be starving 2 hours later. Now, I eat breakfast/lunch around 11 and I'm not hungry until dinner. I have not been too strict with my foods meaning that I still drink wine, eat carbs, etc., but make sure my calories are at a WEEKLY deficit and follow my IF window. If I go over on the weekends, I just eat a bit lighter 2 days during the week. I haven't felt hungry or deprived at all and lost a good amount of weight and I attribute this to IF.

I realize that there are extreme ways to use IF such as 5 normal days and 2 very low calorie days, but that's not what I've done here. Every BODY is different, this may not help others, but if you're not a breakfast person, or a dinner person, trying to shorten the window of when you eat each day can be beneficial.

My triglycerides are normal now and I'm feeling great!

Replies

• pedraono
    pedraono Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing!

I also don't feel hungry in the morning, so I usually don't eat until 12-13. Then dinner around 19.
    I'll try shifting the lunch to an hour earlier and create some more time in between.

And don't you eat absolutely anything in between?
    I usually eat (a small amount of) fruit if I feel hungry in between. Would this totally ruin the "fasting" ?

• acmorris77
    Options
    @pedraono I do not eat anything before or after my window. I do drink coffee in the morning and water. But that's it.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    3 days a week I'll do a 13 hour fast, which ends up being 3 hrs post cardio.
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Nice! Congrats! I started IF last week. I'm hoping the structure of it will help me lose the last 5-10 pounds I want to lose.
  • CharleezAngel1
    CharleezAngel1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @acmorris77 What is your calorie goal during your 8 hour period?
  • roseym10
    roseym10 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I just started this form of IF this week. If I may ask, what is your age and starting weight? I'm 53 and need to lose 20-30 lbs but my metabolism is not what it used to be because of my age. I'm hoping IF will help me as well as it is working for you.
  • acmorris77
    Options
    @rosemy10 I am 38, 6' 2" and was 228
  • acmorris77
    Options
    @Cheesy567 I agree!

• acmorris77
    Options
    @pleasurelittlet... That happens to me too! I try to brush my teeth and drink water when I'm done eating. It starts my body into the going to sleep mode and curbs my hunger.
  • DarrellHodgeLog
    DarrellHodgeLog Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do IF also. I am doing a 19/5 cycle. I was stuck at around 16% body fat. Things are in motion again with IF.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    @acmorris I'm on day 4 of the 16/8 cycle. The first three days were a breeze, but today did not go so well. I was about 2 hours out from my eating window when I got a bit queasy and light-headed and felt like I needed to put something in my stomach. I drank some water and tea, but they didn't help at all. I'm not sure if it was my morning workout, low blood sugar, or what. I'm disciplined enough to do IF, but decided to listen to my body...especially since I didn't feel hungry...I felt bad. I know there's an adjustment period and all, but I don't want it to feel like a struggle. Anyway, how did you handle situations like this? Do you allow for small adjustments in your fasting schedule, or are you pretty strict?

I know I addressed the OP, but if anyone else has suggestions or experience, please feel free to chime in.
  • acmorris77
    Options
    @reinventing_... Yes! You have to listen to your body. The first couple of weeks I was eating about 10 to 7...and then slowly brought the window to a smaller hour amount. Your body needs time to adjust. Now, I'm hungry around 11:30, but not starving. Some days I'll be hungrier earlier and so I eat earlier. Then, I just eat dinner really early. It's easy for me because I get home and don't have to cook for kids or a husband. I pretty much eat right at 5:30 and then go to bed early. I found my overall hunger was reduced and I have a lot more energy. If you feel lethargic or sick, it may not be for you. Also, cutting carbs is big. They only make you more hungry. Processed carbs that is! I still eat chips and bread almost every day, but only half a small bag of potato chips and one piece of bread on an open faced sandwich at lunch. I feel satisfied with a smaller amount.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting. I've talked to many guys here that have said that limited fasting helps you get where you need to be. I've found it to be really hard but i do it at times also to get my mind back on track...Good work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!