Replies

• getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I love intermittent fasting.
  • ryanndavignon
    ryanndavignon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    OP , awesome job, hopefully someday in the near-ish future I can say I've lost 30+ pounds!

I just started IF 16:8, eating between 12noon and 8pm, on Monday. Today is day 4 and it's been pretty easy, and fits in with my schedule very well. My question, because I'm so new to all of this is; can you eat a low carb, high fat diet while having an IF lifestyle, plus mild/moderate exercise? Is it too much/not enough?

I can only Google so much before it all gets confusing, and im looking to start LCHF (going to be difficult, i love my carbs) but any input from anyone here would be greatly appreciated!
  • fit_elliex
    fit_elliex Posts: 32 Member
    Options

OP , awesome job, hopefully someday in the near-ish future I can say I've lost 30+ pounds!

I just started IF 16:8, eating between 12noon and 8pm, on Monday. Today is day 4 and it's been pretty easy, and fits in with my schedule very well. My question, because I'm so new to all of this is; can you eat a low carb, high fat diet while having an IF lifestyle, plus mild/moderate exercise? Is it too much/not enough?

I can only Google so much before it all gets confusing, and I'm looking to start LCHF (going to be difficult, i love my carbs) but any input from anyone here would be greatly appreciated!

I'd like to know the answer to this question, too Ryan!
    I'm on LCHF and starting on IF tomorrow.
    I love LCHF lifestyle. It took a few tries to cut carbs but I finally got it.
    I was at plateau for 2 years! Losing and gaining the same 10lbs and since I started low carb my weight started going down again each week.
    My problem is milk in a coffee, too. If I can give it up I'll be very happy :smiley:
  • ryanndavignon
    Options
    fit_elliex wrote: »

I'd like to know the answer to this question, too Ryan!
    I'm on LCHF and starting on IF tomorrow.
    I love LCHF lifestyle. It took a few tries to cut carbs but I finally got it.
    I was at plateau for 2 years! Losing and gaining the same 10lbs and since I started low carb my weight started going down again each week.
    My problem is milk in a coffee, too. If I can give it up I'll be very happy :smiley:

Im going'lo try LCHF for 2 weeks to see if its something I can do. I've read that it takes about that long to kind of rid yourself of your cravings, so if I can make it through that, I think I'll be okay. I don't drink coffee everyday, but when I do, I like flavored stuff in it. Today I drank it with a splenda and some non-dairy creamer, it wasn't as horrendous as I thought it'd be, but it's something I can do every couple of days. Eventually l'll cut the splenda and creamer though.
  • rosiecotton24
    rosiecotton24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in doing this. I have struggled with getting weight off the past few years. I'll do well for awhile, eating healthier and exercising and lose around 20 pounds. Then I'll get lazy again and gain it back. I just recently started again and have lost a few pounds. I am very determined this time! One of my motivators is that we are going to Florida next June for our nephews wedding and I want to be able to wear a cute sundress!!
    Anyway, I have read a little bit on IF. But have a couple questions.
    1. When any of you decided to start doing this, did you just start right away doing it every single day or did you start out just doing it a few days a week and build up to doing it all the time?
    2. Do you do it every single day? Do you ever take a break from it? What if you have a special event coming up on the weekend or something?
    One of my problems is decided exactly how to do it. I work from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. When I go to the gym, it is normally around 7:30 in the evening (I go at least 3 days a week). Maybe 10:30 - 6:30?
    I also see many of you eat only 2 meals. Do any of you eat three. On Tuesdays we go out for a staff lunch and that is usually around 12:30 or so. How strictly do you stick to your hours? Are there days your first meal is later than normal, so your last meal is later also?
    Sorry for so many questions, but I'm very interested in this!!
  • Shellanfit
    Shellanfit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    excellent informations thanks
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This thread has been a revelation to me! I have hit a plateau and I've been there for a few MONTHS! I eat right and I workout 4 or 5 times a week and I'm desperate to get some consistent movement on the scales.

I'm going to try this out for the next couple of weeks and will report back.

Wish me luck!
  • misslissa1969
    misslissa1969 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was doing EOD way of eating....500 calories every other day....around 2000-2500 on UP days. I think I like this better....I can plan my day around dinner out or with my husband, just push breakfast back if need be. Congrats on the 30 lbs! I am down 25 but have been up and down for about a year...hoping to get back on track and going to give this a try to get there.
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have another 70+ pounds to lose and I had been struggling to lose what weight I did lose. I know it doesn't come off overnight - I know I didn't put it on overnight...but IF has really seemed to change things for me. I started doing 18:6 on 8/6/16. On 8/13/16, I weighed and had lost 6 pounds! I started doing 18:6 because I thought that was what you were supposed to do. It's still in trial stages but I can definitely tell you that if you have been struggling to lose the weight, especially if you have had a full hysterectomy and have those battles to contend with as well - IF just may be the ticket. I'll keep you posted!

Wow - that's impressive! Hubby and I have just started IF this week. We're doing 16:8. Keeping our fingers crossed!
  • ryanndavignon
    Options
    I have another 70+ pounds to lose and I had been struggling to lose what weight I did lose. I know it doesn't come off overnight - I know I didn't put it on overnight...but IF has really seemed to change things for me. I started doing 18:6 on 8/6/16. On 8/13/16, I weighed and had lost 6 pounds! I started doing 18:6 because I thought that was what you were supposed to do. It's still in trial stages but I can definitely tell you that if you have been struggling to lose the weight, especially if you have had a full hysterectomy and have those battles to contend with as well - IF just may be the ticket. I'll keep you posted!

6lbs is awesome!

I lost 4lbs my first week of IF. It's been great and really easy so far. Here's to week 2!
  • slimcharm20
    slimcharm20 Posts: 65 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I want to give this a try. I think a 11-7 window will work out great for me. I beleive my biggest hurdle will be my morning coffee with milk and sugar.

Any thoughts on unsweetened coconut milk in my morning coffee? Thanks for any advice!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I want to give try this. I think a 11-7 window will work out great for me. I beleive my biggest hurdle will be my morning coffee with milk and sugar.

Any thoughts on unsweetened coconut milk in my morning coffee?

50 calories or so in the morning is negligible when it comes to fasting for weight loss. If you also want the benefits associated with keeping insulin low for as long as possible, try moving towards black coffee.
  • sohifirefly
    sohifirefly Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Quick question about when to workout during IF. I read that your first meal should be after your workout which really does not work for me. I already wake up at 5:15am to get ready for work so getting up even earlier to workout isn't going to happen. I usually go to the gym after work around 5:30pm but can't start my eating window after that because I'll be going to bed by 10pm usually. So, my question is - when do you all workout? If I only eat one meal or have a protein shake after my workout and then start the fasting period will that work too?

Oh I also read that cardio is probably not the best exercise while doing IF but rather focus on strength or resistance training. Do you all find that to be true?

Thanks!
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    WELL DONE!
    I use a 16/8 IF routine and it seemed to have generated some great results.
    I realize this is far from pure science, but when I find something that works, that's all the science I require.
    Results are what I seek.

Again, great job, and thanks for sharing!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thanks for your answers!! I'm on my 3rd day of IF. I normally don't eat until 12/12:30 and stop around 8:8:30. But I haven't gone to the gym these past 3 days, I've worked out at home. On days I go to the gym, I may have to do different hours (like 10 - 6 or something). The other thing I haven't done is keep track of my calories. I need to make sure I'm eating enough calories, too. I have lost 2 pounds since starting it, which makes me happy.

No problem at all! Congrats on losing 2 pounds! You may have to move your window around some days, but track those calories though! Bad girl! hehe :smile:
    Quick question about when to workout during IF. I read that your first meal should be after your workout which really does not work for me. I already wake up at 5:15am to get ready for work so getting up even earlier to workout isn't going to happen. I usually go to the gym after work around 5:30pm but can't start my eating window after that because I'll be going to bed by 10pm usually. So, my question is - when do you all workout? If I only eat one meal or have a protein shake after my workout and then start the fasting period will that work too?

Oh I also read that cardio is probably not the best exercise while doing IF but rather focus on strength or resistance training. Do you all find that to be true?

Thanks!

@sohifirefly: Most days of the week I workout first thing in the morning and get in a brisk walk after dinner. In the mornings I just have a glass of water or two and I usually don't start eating until late morning. I feel great working out fasted!

I mix up my workouts and do either or both cardio and strength-training. I haven't found any one better or worse. For me it has been more about the intensity and how long my workouts are. I don't workout for long (25 - 45 mins. max) and it's not intense.

However, I know some people that are able to lift heavy and workout a long-time fasted. I could when I had more body fat. I can not handle that kind of workout anymore fasted.

It's all about finding what works for you and making adjustments.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!