Intermittent fasting - 30 pounds lost

Options
1234568»

Replies

• joetee1971
    joetee1971 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting. Just started IF as well :) Read a couple of books and I hear that there is a good documentary on the BBC that I will check out. It has only been a few days for me but each day has been a little different, which I think is fine. Each day is simply different, so the eating window may change a little each day but I just keep telling myself that the hunger comes in WAVES and I give myself a little time to drink some water and busy myself but if I feel nauseous or faint I eat something small like a small handful of almonds and wait a bit to see how I feel. As long as I stay around my calorie goal for the day, I consider it a success! For me I want this to be different than anything I have tried before and a lifestyle, so it has to be flexible. :)
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Here's to raising the dead. I starting IF a couple of days ago, so we'll see how it goes. TBH I never ate breakfast until I got my first 9-5 job. Then it became a habit. I hit a plateau in November, and then I gave up for a while and gained back a few lbs. So I'm going to eat 16:8 and see if anything changes. I'm also reducing my calories and not eating sugary things except for on Sundays.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Ainadan wrote: »
    Here's to raising the dead. I starting IF a couple of days ago, so we'll see how it goes. TBH I never ate breakfast until I got my first 9-5 job. Then it became a habit. I hit a plateau in November, and then I gave up for a while and gained back a few lbs. So I'm going to eat 16:8 and see if anything changes. I'm also reducing my calories and not eating sugary things except for on Sundays.

plateaus are normal and weight loss will happen from eating less than you burn. IF is not a magical way to lose weight or get out of a plateau. its just a window of time to eat your calories. you can still gain weight doing IF if you eat more than your body burns. Ive done fasting most of my life,weight loss is/was not any different than the times I didnt fast. I have also gained doing IF(16:8) because I ate more calories than my body needed.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Spenezich wrote: »
    I'm hoping maybe this thread will be resurrected as I'd love to hear from others who are doing IF! I had put a lot of weight on over the previous year and hit my all time high. I was miserable but hated the idea of having to "diet" again. My "go-to" was always eliminating sugar and eating a low carb diet. I started back on that WOE in Feb. and lost 7 lbs but I was bored and just not motivated. I heard about IF, researched and officially started on 3/14/18 (while still eliminating sugar and keeping to lean meats, dairy, fiber rich fruits and veggies) and have lost 20 more lbs since then. I love it! I've never felt so good or had so much energy and control! I've never felt deprived, cravings are almost non-existent and even the few times I've allowed myself a "cheat day" (my son's birthday and my cousin's wedding), I've made sure to keep it within my eating time frames and have not experienced the next day "bounce up" in weight like I previously had when I was only doing low carb. My cravings also did not come back with a vengeance like they used to after a day of indulging. I cannot say enough good things about my experience. My skin looks better, my hair looks better, I feel amazing and I wish I had taken measurements because I'm fitting into clothes that didn't fit me the last time I was at this weight, so I feel like I'm losing inches too. I'd still like to lose another 30 lbs but once I'm at goal, I plan to continue eating within my IF time frames. I don't know what it is, but it gives this former yo-yo dieter, food obsessed, sugar addict, binge eater such a sense of control and a "this must be what normal people feel like" calmness and strength. Oh, I typically keep to a 16:8 plan, but sometimes go as long as 18-20 hrs. I would love to hear from others who are also doing IF!

if that is making a difference then it could be that for you fasting has an effect on blood sugars,IF is just a window of time in which you eat your calories. if you are seeing more energy,and improved issues then I would say that you may have had an insulin issue . if you are losing weight its because you are in a calorie deficit and if IF helps you stay in that deficit then great.
  • karona2182
    karona2182 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started doing this 3 weeks ago. I am down 3 pounds and am very happy. I would be down more except I let my self go on weekends, which I shouldn't, but this weekend I am sticking to it. I start eating at 12 noon and finish at 8pm. I am not hungry, and when I am I remind myself that my body is getting it's energy from my fat, not my food in my belly. .
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited May 2018
    Options
    karona2182 wrote: »
    I just started doing this 3 weeks ago. I am down 3 pounds and am very happy. I would be down more except I let my self go on weekends, which I shouldn't, but this weekend I am sticking to it. I start eating at 12 noon and finish at 8pm. I am not hungry, and when I am I remind myself that my body is getting it's energy from my fat, not my food in my belly. .

you can only burn so much body fat at a time no matter if you fast or not.,fat is lost in a deficit of calories your body doesnt just get energy from the fat in your body. it DOES get energy from the food in your body as its broken down into energy. IF is also not a special fat burning diet either. Ive done it all my life.and the fat loss is not any better compared to not fasting. thats a myth
  • epptylar
    epptylar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    pedraono wrote: »
    thanks for sharing!

I also don't feel hungry in the morning, so I usually don't eat until 12-13. Then dinner around 19.
    I'll try shifting the lunch to an hour earlier and create some more time in between.

And don't you eat absolutely anything in between?
    I usually eat (a small amount of) fruit if I feel hungry in between. Would this totally ruin the "fasting" ?

I have lost 8lbs in 27 days from IF. Some progress made but not quite as much as I would like.. Yes fruit will break your fast. Reason being, it has natural sugar so your body will release insulin which is what you're trying to avoid while fasting. You can only have unsweetend iced tea, coffee without cream or sugar (coffee does have calories so you can't go over 50 calories or it will break the fast), and water. Make sure you drink lots of water. I recommend at least 64oz during your fast period. Water also helps with feeling hungry. If you get hunger pangs, chug some water. On a side note, if you absolutely can't stand coffee 100% black you can have artificial sweeteners.
    Hope this helps! Good luck! :)

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    epptylar wrote: »
    pedraono wrote: »
    thanks for sharing!

I also don't feel hungry in the morning, so I usually don't eat until 12-13. Then dinner around 19.
    I'll try shifting the lunch to an hour earlier and create some more time in between.

And don't you eat absolutely anything in between?
    I usually eat (a small amount of) fruit if I feel hungry in between. Would this totally ruin the "fasting" ?

I have lost 8lbs in 27 days from IF. Some progress made but not quite as much as I would like.. Yes fruit will break your fast. Reason being, it has natural sugar so your body will release insulin which is what you're trying to avoid while fasting. You can only have unsweetend iced tea, coffee without cream or sugar (coffee does have calories so you can't go over 50 calories or it will break the fast), and water. Make sure you drink lots of water. I recommend at least 64oz during your fast period. Water also helps with feeling hungry. If you get hunger pangs, chug some water. On a side note, if you absolutely can't stand coffee 100% black you can have artificial sweeteners.
    Hope this helps! Good luck! :)

if you have cream and sugar its still food therefore an insulin release. may not be much of one. has nothing to do with fruit(besides breaking your fast),even protein can causes an insulin response. insulin is still released even while fasting,just not like it is when not fasting https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11815488
    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/51/suppl_1/S255
  • suziemania26
    suziemania26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started Intermittent Fasting last May 10, 2018, I've been doing 16:8 and fast every monday and friday. I also do Tae Bo everyday for 30 mins. Last May 19 2018, I lost 9 pounds.
  • cooperpup
    cooperpup Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been IF with a lower-carb (less than 70g/day), higher fat diet for the past 2 weeks. I eat between 10am and 7pm. My weight is down about 3 lbs, but my waist is 8 cm smaller! I've also upped my walking, mostly due to a hyper 4 month old puppy who will tear the house apart if we don't walk for a couple of hours per day. What I love is that I have the energy to still go for long fast-paced walks. I know I could get faster results if I lowered the carbs, but this is sustainable and I'm getting results.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    cooperpup wrote: »
    I have been IF with a lower-carb (less than 70g/day), higher fat diet for the past 2 weeks. I eat between 10am and 7pm. My weight is down about 3 lbs, but my waist is 8 cm smaller! I've also upped my walking, mostly due to a hyper 4 month old puppy who will tear the house apart if we don't walk for a couple of hours per day. What I love is that I have the energy to still go for long fast-paced walks. I know I could get faster results if I lowered the carbs, but this is sustainable and I'm getting results.

lower carbs doenst mean faster results,if lowering the carbs lowers your calories then you will have a bigger deficit. but you could do the same if you lowered fat or protein. lower carbs means more water weight/glycogen being lost
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    awesome job! glad you found something that works for you:)
  • ginique
    ginique Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 16:8 (skipping breakfast), and the weight is falling off. I've tried everything under the sun and IF is the only thing that leaves me feeling energized, not deprived, and inspired. :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    cooperpup wrote: »

lower carbs doenst mean faster results,if lowering the carbs lowers your calories then you will have a bigger deficit. but you could do the same if you lowered fat or protein. lower carbs means more water weight/glycogen being lost

whats with the woo? what I said was the truth
  • janedairy
    janedairy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Starting IF 16:8 on Monday. Practicing from today not having sweetener in black coffee (yuk), not eating until noon,(so far so good) and not drinking my favourite lemon and lime flavour spring water, again because it has sweetener in it.
  • edarmstrong
    edarmstrong Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing an 18/6 intermittent fast for the past 2 weeks and lost 8 Ibs. I’m currently eating in a deficit but I’m surprised by how well my body’s adapted. I’m having better mental clarity and I’m never really hungry at the point of breaking my fast.
    I’ve got another 35 Ibs but I can definitely see this being something I will continue once I reach my goal weight.
  • RMUNTZ2
    RMUNTZ2 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    @acmorris77

Good for you. That is great keep it up and I agree about fasting.

That's it intermittent fasting is the key to curbing hunger my previous attempts to lose weight there was hunger and yo-yo loss gain periods and that is why I could not sustain long attempts to lose weight. I have been almost 6 months into this latest assault of my weight fasting 18-22 hours a day. No hunger, I do a low carb no sugar nutrition routine (not a diet) I have lost 30 pounds and 55 pounds over 4 year period. When I get to 180 lb I will then go for 174 to get me in normal BMI range for my height and weight. I am almost normal. Probably will still be "abby" normal though.
  • lucinda672
    lucinda672 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bravo to you! Definitely going to try IF!
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I fast between 4 pm and 5 am. I sometimes get cravings. But overall I feel ok. I just started if.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!