Intermittent fasting - 30 pounds lost

Options

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    YES^ :)
    Autophagy is a highly regulated process. If it runs amok, out of control, this would be detrimental, so it must be carefully controlled. In mammalian cells, total depletion of amino acids is a strong signal for autophagy, but the role of individual amino acids is more variable. However, the plasma amino acid levels vary only a little. Amino acid signals and growth factor/ insulin signals are thought to converge on the mTOR pathway – sometimes called the master regulator of nutrient signalling.

So, during autophagy, old junky cell components are broken down into the component amino acids (the building block of proteins). What happens to these amino acids? In the early stages of starvation, amino acid levels start to increase. It is thought that these amino acids derived from autophagy are delivered to the liver for gluconeogenesis. They can also be broken down into glucose through the tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle. The third potential fate of amino acids is to be incorporated into new proteins.

The consequences of accumulating old junky proteins all over the place can be seen in two main conditions – Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) and cancer. Alzheimer’s Disease involves the accumulation of abnormal protein – either amyloid beta or Tau protein which gums up the brain system. It would make sense that a process like autophagy that has the ability to clear out old protein could prevent the development of AD.

What turns off autophagy? Eating. Glucose, insulin (or decreased glucagon) and proteins all turn off this self-cleaning process. And it doesn’t take much. Even a small amount of amino acid (leucine) could stop autophagy cold.
    So this process of autophagy is unique to fasting – something not found in simple caloric restriction or dieting.
    It's not why I started IF, but it is very good reason to keep doing it.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    bmayes2014 wrote: »
    @Rebekah_89 I think the general consensus is that black coffee or tea is fine but once you add cream or sugar it starts the "non fasting" portion of your day.

I fast drinking coffee WITH cream in my coffee - still losing weight. I read that 50 cals or less keeps the body in 'fasted state'. So I do not add more calories of creamer than that. I have done this since day one and I am still losing weight.

Sounds like this is working perfectly for you!
    I have also read about the 50 calorie guideline for fasting, but I am not sure where it originally came from, the evidence behind it, or what the originator's goals were. If weight loss is the main goal, then of course, a 50-calorie coffee is just a negligible amount of calories and IF is helping you to remain in a calorie deficit.

Or, is 50 calories low enough to not cause an insulin response? The non-weight loss associated health benefits of fasting such as improving insulin resistance, triglycerides/cholesterol, autophagy, etc., are associated with keeping insulin levels very low for an extended period of time. I would think that if you wanted to maximize those benefits, no calories (no insulin) is better, remaining true to a fasted state. I moved myself from taking sweetened creamer in my coffee to a splash of plain milk to nothing. I want no calories and no sweetness (even zero calorie sweeteners) to trigger an insulin response during my fast. I suppose putting only fat into your coffee would be OK (i.e., butter, coconut oil), but nothing with protein or carbs.

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on the 50 calorie rule.

I would be willing to bet that this approach is probably more effective than mine. My creamer and 'sweetners' could be causing an insulin response. I am willing to test the theory for a week. I gave up coffee for close to 45 days earlier this year so I am fully capable of doing it. If it is spiking my insulin it defeats the whole purpose of me fasting. I may as well have a donut or eat breakfast. Over the past month, I did lose weight although I thought I'd lose more and this could have been why. My weight loss may have only been attributed to the caloric deficit which IF helped me achieve by eliminating a large amount of calories for one meal. I also want the 'fat burning' benefits of fasting 16 hours. so if the added coffee creamers etc are breaking my fast I'd like to know. I will test this starting Monday. I am taking a break this weekend after a month of IF. I will update next week.

• BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Great read. And well done! I've never been one to eat during the morning hours. I have a rough window I follow but as I've been following it for so long my body automatically tells me im hungry around the same time. I'm not super strict with it to the point where I wont eat 5 - 10 mins before, that's counter productive in my book. We're not suppose to be slaves to the clock, it's there to guide us. Awesome job man.
  • shelbz123
    shelbz123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    acmorris77 wrote: »
    In February, My doctor told me I had high triglycerides and needed to be on medicine unless something changed. Losing weight was one of the things I needed to do in order to get my levels in line. She gave me the list of foods to avoid such as red meat, fried foods, and processed carbohydrates. Also, she told me that she recommends intermittent fasting as part of my daily eating habits and gave me an 8 hour window to eat every day. She said that the longer your body fasts (within reason) the longer it stays in fat burning mode. The Triglycerides live in the fat and will therefore be reduced.

So, I took the advice, started cutting back on red meat and processed foods and only eat within 7-8 hours. I usually eat from 11am to 6 at this point. Obviously, you have to stay within your calorie goal and can't eat 10,000 calories during your eating window. It's still calories in and calories out. But, IF has definitely played a role in me losing 30 lbs. since March 1st. I used to eat breakfast even when I wasn't hungry and be starving 2 hours later. Now, I eat breakfast/lunch around 11 and I'm not hungry until dinner. I have not been too strict with my foods meaning that I still drink wine, eat carbs, etc., but make sure my calories are at a WEEKLY deficit and follow my IF window. If I go over on the weekends, I just eat a bit lighter 2 days during the week. I haven't felt hungry or deprived at all and lost a good amount of weight and I attribute this to IF.

I realize that there are extreme ways to use IF such as 5 normal days and 2 very low calorie days, but that's not what I've done here. Every BODY is different, this may not help others, but if you're not a breakfast person, or a dinner person, trying to shorten the window of when you eat each day can be beneficial.

My triglycerides are normal now and I'm feeling great!

This is great! I am just getting started with IF and feel intimidated what was your calorie range
  • bmayes2014
    Options
    @Rebekah_89 I think the general consensus is that black coffee or tea is fine but once you add cream or sugar it starts the "non fasting" portion of your day.

I fast drinking coffee WITH cream in my coffee - still losing weight. I read that 50 cals or less keeps the body in 'fasted state'. So I do not add more calories of creamer than that. I have done this since day one and I am still losing weight.

Sounds like this is working perfectly for you!
    I have also read about the 50 calorie guideline for fasting, but I am not sure where it originally came from, the evidence behind it, or what the originator's goals were. If weight loss is the main goal, then of course, a 50-calorie coffee is just a negligible amount of calories and IF is helping you to remain in a calorie deficit.

Or, is 50 calories low enough to not cause an insulin response? The non-weight loss associated health benefits of fasting such as improving insulin resistance, triglycerides/cholesterol, autophagy, etc., are associated with keeping insulin levels very low for an extended period of time. I would think that if you wanted to maximize those benefits, no calories (no insulin) is better, remaining true to a fasted state. I moved myself from taking sweetened creamer in my coffee to a splash of plain milk to nothing. I want no calories and no sweetness (even zero calorie sweeteners) to trigger an insulin response during my fast. I suppose putting only fat into your coffee would be OK (i.e., butter, coconut oil), but nothing with protein or carbs.

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on the 50 calorie rule.

I would be willing to bet that this approach is probably more effective than mine. My creamer and 'sweetners' could be causing an insulin response. I am willing to test the theory for a week. I gave up coffee for close to 45 days earlier this year so I am fully capable of doing it. If it is spiking my insulin it defeats the whole purpose of me fasting. I may as well have a donut or eat breakfast. Over the past month, I did lose weight although I thought I'd lose more and this could have been why. My weight loss may have only been attributed to the caloric deficit which IF helped me achieve by eliminating a large amount of calories for one meal. I also want the 'fat burning' benefits of fasting 16 hours. so if the added coffee creamers etc are breaking my fast I'd like to know. I will test this starting Monday. I am taking a break this weekend after a month of IF. I will update next week.

just a quick one week update: I took @CorneliusPhoton advice and removed any and all sweeteners from my morning coffee. It was fine. I didn't feel deprived or tortured..anyway, that's beside the point. Results: 5 days of 16:8 and I lost -1.6lbs I think that's pretty good progress. The week prior with sweeteners in my coffee during my fast I only lost 0.4lbs. That said, I will move forward without. thanks!!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    just a quick one week update: I took @CorneliusPhoton advice and removed any and all sweeteners from my morning coffee. It was fine. I didn't feel deprived or tortured..anyway, that's beside the point. Results: 5 days of 16:8 and I lost -1.6lbs I think that's pretty good progress. The week prior with sweeteners in my coffee during my fast I only lost 0.4lbs. That said, I will move forward without. thanks!!

That is great progress! Do you feel like removing sweeteners made a difference in how hungry you are?

I went back to taking my coffee with some half & half lately. Haven't really enjoyed it any more or less, but I guess there's just something about the thicker consistency that I prefer. But today... today, I got a cup of Starbucks decaf with half & half in it and it was delicious! Maybe I just need to buy better coffee for home. :)
  • bmayes2014
    Options

That is great progress! Do you feel like removing sweeteners made a difference in how hungry you are?

I went back to taking my coffee with some half & half lately. Haven't really enjoyed it any more or less, but I guess there's just something about the thicker consistency that I prefer. But today... today, I got a cup of Starbucks decaf with half & half in it and it was delicious! Maybe I just need to buy better coffee for home. :)

I should have clarified that I do put half and half in my coffee - just no sugar or sugar substitute. If I cant drink it with cream, I'd just rather not drink it at all. To answer your question - no I dont think it really effected my hunger and the quality of the coffee does make a difference. Starbucks is great with only creamer. I also really enjoy McDonald's coffee by the way (for half the cost). Their roast is awesome. I get half decaf and half regular coffee. Regarding the hunger, I dont really get all that hungry - just a tiny bit of hunger about an hour before I end my fast. So, thanks for the advice and I will keep it up!!
  • ajdukefan
    ajdukefan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for sharing I plan to start this today, my window will be 12-8 as I usually am never hungry in the morning but had been forcing myself to do smoothie thinking I needed something on my tummy, now I know I can drink my water, tea or coffee and get by until noon, as I'm usually starting to get hungry about then, I can't skip dinner as I have to cook for hubby and kids and I feel weird if i cook and don't sit down with everyone else, I'm not losing like I want and I was told 2 months ago I have HIGH TRIGS TOO, so I have to cut all the things you cut, thank you for this tip can't wait to see results
  • Annie81503
    Annie81503 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just found out about intermittent fasting and I started doing 16:8 on Monday. It has been really easy to fit in my schedule, my eating window is 11 am to 7pm. I am using it as a tool to manage my calories and it's been great so far. I drink water if I am hungry before 11 a.m. .....oh and I have my morning coffee when I wake up, so far so good! It is really helping me have more control over my daily calories and not overeating.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have been doing intermittent fasting since the beginning of July and I have lost 4 kg so far. Thanx guys for the inspiration

Nice going. I need to get back to fasting myself. My schedules been a bit all over the place this year. Prior to 2016 I've been IF'in for 4 years, let me just say.. It sure does work. I'll be back with an update in a weeks time. Happy fasting peeps.
  • AidaCarla180
    AidaCarla180 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nice going. I need to get back to fasting myself. My schedules been a bit all over the place this year. Prior to 2016 I've been IF'in for 4 years, let me just say.. It sure does work. I'll be back with an update in a weeks time. Happy fasting peeps.[/quote]

I wish you the best of luck as you start this journey again
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    ajdukefan wrote: »
    I wanted to give an update, I started this the very next day I posted and I've lost 1#- WOOP WOOP, I love this I feel like I have much more control over calories and everything I'm taking in, I know when it's my time I have up to so many calories I can eat over an 8 hour period and I'm actually not even hungry after that. the only thing is in the morning between 9-11:30 I get a little hunger pains, I muddle thru it and drink water - I do start my day with 1 cup of black coffee, gotta have that. I can't wait to report 14 days and 30 days down :) Thanks again for posting this I would've never thought about it :D

Hi AJDUKEFAN - How are you going on your IF? :) Interested to get an update.
  • 120poundstogo
    120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    In February, My doctor told me I had high triglycerides and needed to be on medicine unless something changed. Losing weight was one of the things I needed to do in order to get my levels in line. She gave me the list of foods to avoid such as red meat, fried foods, and processed carbohydrates. Also, she told me that she recommends intermittent fasting as part of my daily eating habits and gave me an 8 hour window to eat every day. She said that the longer your body fasts (within reason) the longer it stays in fat burning mode. The Triglycerides live in the fat and will therefore be reduced.

So, I took the advice, started cutting back on red meat and processed foods and only eat within 7-8 hours. I usually eat from 11am to 6 at this point. Obviously, you have to stay within your calorie goal and can't eat 10,000 calories during your eating window. It's still calories in and calories out. But, IF has definitely played a role in me losing 30 lbs. since March 1st. I used to eat breakfast even when I wasn't hungry and be starving 2 hours later. Now, I eat breakfast/lunch around 11 and I'm not hungry until dinner. I have not been too strict with my foods meaning that I still drink wine, eat carbs, etc., but make sure my calories are at a WEEKLY deficit and follow my IF window. If I go over on the weekends, I just eat a bit lighter 2 days during the week. I haven't felt hungry or deprived at all and lost a good amount of weight and I attribute this to IF.

I realize that there are extreme ways to use IF such as 5 normal days and 2 very low calorie days, but that's not what I've done here. Every BODY is different, this may not help others, but if you're not a breakfast person, or a dinner person, trying to shorten the window of when you eat each day can be beneficial.

Really nice and inspiring news!
  • Rogansdad72
    Rogansdad72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I also am doing 16/8 IF. Down 15 lbs so far, eating between 12 and 8pm. It fits my lifestyle and makes me focus on calories in/out. I workout between my 2 big meals (again, lifestyle) and don't deprive myself of too much, as long as it fits my caloric goals. The only thing that I have "cut out" is fast food, I'm a junkie! I think IF is great, but it has to fit your lifestyle. Congrats on the weight loss so far, keep it up!
  • Rogansdad72
    Rogansdad72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @pedraono I do not eat anything before or after my window. I do drink coffee in the morning and water. But that's it.

The toughest part for me has been eliminating milk from my coffee! I guess this is how adults drink coffee :smiley:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!