Vacation tips

Options
I'm going on a family vacation next week, and I'm a bit worried about going overboard while out of my normal routine. I've only been at this a few weeks and have been doing great! I'm planning on being a bit more lenient on my food but not too crazy. Also, there isn't a gym on site or one close by. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• CharleneD80
    CharleneD80 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I went away for a weekend with my family and I'm in about 3 weeks at that point ... It was hard and to be honest I didn't eat as well as I should have
  • saramariep14
    saramariep14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Can you help plan the menus so you know that there will be foods that fit into your plan? Vacations can be tough, but you can control your food by packing healthy snacks, drinking lots of water and watching your portion sizes. Enjoy the time with family!
  • k_l_c_2008
    k_l_c_2008 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thankfully we are staying In a cabin and most breakfasts and lunches will be ate there (2 toddlers are going as well) so I will have control there. It's dinner every night that's a worry, and working out.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control is your friend. Don't go overboard on bread, pasta, alcohol, and dessert. These are the areas where I can save the most calories. Have one roll, or one drink instead of several. Share entrees and dessert with someone or take half back to the cabin for lunch the next day. Mostly, have fun!
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    After your vacation don't panic if the scales jump up it can take quite a few days for bloat to leave the body from the salt in restaurant food. I came back 5lbs heavier from a week in Orlando but it was gone within a week.
    It was good to learn that you can eat a bit more for a few days (around maintenance cals) and not easily put loads of fat lbs on.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound too scary if you can control most of your meals. If you are worried about gaining then keep breakfast and lunch higher protein/less fat/lower calorie, keep active (cabin: walking, swimming), and then like lorrpb said watch portions at dinner.

I'm planning 2 weeks or more off my usual routine. Don't want to gain, but I'm not going to be that careful either. Want to eat frugally re:calories for regular stuff and then still enjoy treats.
  • _m0lly
    _m0lly Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    First off, let me just advise you not to worry TOO much. You are doing well and I understand that you don't want to ruin any progress you are making. However, it is a vacation and you shouldn't be completely strict on yourself.

Don't starve yourself from things that you wish you could do whilst on your holiday, because it's once in a blue moon. However, don't go completely overboard either - It's all about the small changes. You will want to eat out, you will want ice cream and holiday snacks - just go for it! However, remember to keep active and drink plenty of water, you won't do too much damage.

Last time I went away I think I gained a pound or two, but in all honesty I carried on from where I left off afterwards and didn't feel too disheartened at all.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'd switch to maintenance calories if you want to track while you're gone. I also tend to stay very controlled for breakfast/lunch, not go crazy with alcohol or sugary drinks, then just eat what I want for dinner (or whatever the going-out, big family meal is for you).
    Lots of hiking, swimming, running after toddlers is a great way to get some fun activity in without traditional workouts on vacation.

Also, your scale weight might be a little higher when you return, but that's not necessarily real weight gain. You'd have to eat about 500+ calories over maintenance each day for the entire week to gain a pound - not unheard of, but definitely a big difference from what you're used to. Eating different kinds of foods at different times, air travel, sodium, activity changes, etc. can all make you gain water weight. So give it a few days after you return home for your body to acclimate to your normal routine.
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you are going out to eat often, try to check their menu online (assuming you go to one of those main restaurant chains) because they usually have a nutritional chart for every menu item. When in doubt, assume the whole dinner entre (without a side of fries or whatever other sides you get) are 1000 calories. (I just say this because most of the time I see it around 1000-1200 calories). So maybe only eat half of your plate at dinner and maybe eat the rest for lunch the next day? (Not sure if that would work with you but just a suggestion).

I think exercise may not be a problem because (depending on where you go) you're usually always on your feet because you'll be out doing things. But if the plan is to stay in the cabin then just either go for a walk around each morning or maybe see if you can find a lake nearby and swim.

Even if you do gain a little back, at least it wouldn't be as bad as if you decided to ruin your diet completely and eat whatever. Just try your best and I doubt it would drastically ruin what you've been working on for the past few weeks.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Keep logging - if you're over then don't beat yourself up but don't use it as an excuse to go totally mental!
  • k_l_c_2008
    k_l_c_2008 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Gonna try and take ya'll's advise and eat really good for breakfast and lunch, and only eat half portions at dinner. I am gonna splurge one meal and eat whatever I want guilt free. I mean we're going to Paula Dean's, how could I not! I also made some small goals, I'm going to try to achieve: No soda (it's my Kryptonite) and a bit of exercise every morning. Hopefully the pool opens early and I can swim some laps. Otherwise I will stream a yoga vid, and do a kettle bell workout. Wish me luck!