Pregnancy and not undoing all progress/cravings

Options
elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
This past week has been eventful. I went to my GP because I was having some really strange (for me) symptoms - increased gastric reflux the past two weeks, everything tasting weird/adversion to my favorite meals etc. She did a pregnancy test (honestly hadn't even been a suspicion), and it was positive.

I saw my ob/gyn who made me an apt next week for a prenatal registered dietitian. I am still considered obese, so she said the goal the first trimester is not to gain any weight. Then-after that only gain 15-25 max.

Question for all those who have gone through pregnancy-oh did you cope with food cravings? These past two weeks all I have wanted is salty food (anything else seems to taste weird to me). I am still measuring portions and sticking to my calorie goal (which has now been increased to maintenance) but I still worry cravings will get the best of me.

Replies

• emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy.
    My first child I was overweight and gave into every craving ( fish finger sandwiches morning noon and night)
    I can't remember what gained as I had to have her very early and continued to put on weight due to depression.
    My second child I actually lost weight ending up 10 kg lighter after birth . I got gestational diabetes so really watched what I ate and took care of myself more.
    Getting back to your OP , be aware of what you are consuming, eat maintence and eat nutritionally dense foods.
    It won't be the end of the world if you do indulge now and again but really you don't need more cals until you get to the 3rd trimester even then I think it's 200-300 extra.
    You will gain weight but it will all come off after baby arrives.
    Good luck
  • elphie754
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy.
    My first child I was overweight and gave into every craving ( fish finger sandwiches morning noon and night)
    I can't remember what gained as I had to have her very early and continued to put on weight due to depression.
    My second child I actually lost weight ending up 10 kg lighter after birth . I got gestational diabetes so really watched what I ate and took care of myself more.
    Getting back to your OP , be aware of what you are consuming, eat maintence and eat nutritionally dense foods.
    It won't be the end of the world if you do indulge now and again but really you don't need more cals until you get to the 3rd trimester even then I think it's 200-300 extra.
    You will gain weight but it will all come off after baby arrives.
    Good luck

Thank you. My craving have been popcorners (butter and sea salt), salted cucumber slices and salted veggies with rice. Not the worst things in the world, but also not the best haha.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Nm
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I went from losing weight into my third pregnancy and I didn't end up gaining anything after the baby was born. To go from eating 1200 calories to maintenance was super easy and then baby calories after that...there is room for the odd craving indulgence :)
  • elphie754
    Options
    Congratulations! I went from losing weight into my third pregnancy and I didn't end up gaining anything after the baby was born. To go from eating 1200 calories to maintenance was super easy and then baby calories after that...there is room for the odd craving indulgence :)

I am hoping that this is my experience as well.

I think one of the hardest things is not going to be weight, but rather explaining to the cats (2) that there will be a new addition haha.