This ones lengthy but stick with me...

Options
Ok, so ive posted a few things before and have continued to put all my effort into losing weight all except these last 2 weeks were i had effectively given up.

My friends wedding was a few weeks ago and i wanted to get myself a nice new suit and sooooo looked forward to being able to buy myself smaller sizes.
I burned myself out at the gym putting my effort into trying to reduce my chest as it is what gives me the most embarassment. I didnt measure myself or weigh myself because i wanted that shirt going on to be my milestone. 4 weeks i pushed and the night before came and i took my suit out and i went shopping for a new shirt.

Picked one a size smaller than i had previously worn put it on and it didnt fint in the chest... i was gutted. Im not ashamed to say i literally sat on the floor of the changing room and sobbed. (We men arent as emotionally hard as we make out we are)

I couldnt understand it. And still dont. Since the wedding i did a week of no carbs because one of my plus sized colleagues lost 9lbs just cutting them out i lost 1lb eating exactly the same meal plan she did except she doesnt exercise and i do. I then tried meal replacement shakes because one of my colleagues is doing it and she lost 14lbs in a week (yes i know thats unhealthy and unsustainable) i lost nothing. Yet again i exercise and she doesn't however she was doing slimming world so was used to a reduced calorie intake the way i am, tho i dont so slimming world.

So for the last 2 weeks i have totally given up and eaten what i wanted when i wanted very much going over my calorie allowance every day without fail and this morning the scales show that I haven't gained a single ounce.

How exactly am i different from other people..? I know everyone works differently but if im on a reduced intake and im exercising why am i not loosing when other people seem to do so little and have massive losses? My doctor is of the opinion that my metabolism is running on slow but cant advise me of how to boost it back up again...

And before anyone starts with the "are you weighing your food and how can you be sure" etc comment (although i promise that i understand you are only trying to help) we are quite fortunate in the UK that we can buy individual portions of alot of foods like beans and chicken breasts, steaks, veggies, bags of rice etc so while no i dont weigh my food per say i know buy the measurements provided on the carton how much of each food im having.

I was steadily loosing weigh up until i damaged my ankle in November 2014 after which I was off exercise for 10 weeks. Despite putting on 10kgs and then working my way back up to 8 exercise classes a week and my original diet plan i have lost exactly zero since March of 2015.

It just seems that at the minute no matter how much i eat and how little exercise i do and then vice versa nothing ever changes.

My doctors just at the "shrug it off" stage and has no idea what kind of advice to give me. But its very much depressing me...

If you've read right to the bottom of this thank you for indulging my self pity lol and any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Even pre packaged foods can be off. Weigh everything.
    If you aren't losing not weighing your food there is no harm in weighing everything for a month.( liquids with cups and spoons) Even if it just confirms that your portion sizes are correct and you are hitting the calorie goal MFP set you. It may also be worth resetting your calorie goal if you have changed weight, occupation or are a couple of years older than when you first set a goal.

If your doctor doesn't know what to do about a slow metabolism ask to have blood tests for T2D, thyroid problems any nutritional deficiencies. Get your BMR tested and a referal to a registered dietitian to guide you towards your calorie goal.

Cheers, h.
  • PaulThomp23
    PaulThomp23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying. Would never have considered being referred to a dietician... seeing the doc again next tuesday so will ask him then. I had blood tests a month or so ago and supposedly it was a full blood work up which came back with no abnormalities. Even my cholesterol is 3.2 which he claimed was perfect and reflected my healthy lifestyle....
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a dietician may be a good thing. Take your MFP log with you to the doc and to the dietician. It will give you a base to start working from. Do ask about getting your BMR assessed especially it the doc thinks it may be lower than normal.
    Glad the bloodwork is OK.

Cheers, h.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I agree with above that packaged foods are no guarantee. I too think it's a good idea to scrupliously weigh and measure EVERYTHING for a month. What have you got to lose at this point? Exercising is very good, but it's in the kitchen where you'll lose those pounds. You can eat what you like but stay within your calorie goal everyday and make sure your calorie burn is correct when exercising, if eating back calories. Don't give up now, you'll just have more to lose later. There's always a way to do this. Good luck.

PS: I always tell women to take measurements and keep a journal. Once a week is a good idea. That way there'll be no surprises the next time you buy a new shirt.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this.
  • PaulThomp23
    Options
    But you aren't even logging consistently. Not the last two weeks, not in May, not before.
    Start with that. Really log and identify how much you are eating and drinking.
    Then you'll have a basis to evaluate if something is up.

Be consistent.

I know. I thought i had already put in so much to my original post i didnt want to over load it. I stopped logging at the start of May because i was given a meal plan by the doctor and it took me over and above my calorie intake for the day and was told not to worry about keeping an accurate track and he was trying to up my metbolism and had me eating 2500 everyday. Just another experiement for him to run that had zero effect.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    But you aren't even logging consistently. Not the last two weeks, not in May, not before.

Be consistent.

I know. I thought i had already put in so much to my original post i didnt want to over load it. I stopped logging at the start of May because i was given a meal plan by the doctor and it took me over and above my calorie intake for the day and was told not to worry about keeping an accurate track and he was trying to up my metbolism and had me eating 2500 everyday. Just another experiement for him to run that had zero effect.

Ok, well, if I eat at 2500 and stay inactive I gain.
    If I eat 2500 and am highly active I lose. But it is hard to have an activity level sufficient for me to lose at that level.

When your doc tells you not to worry about tracking, it is probably due to the emotional challenge it might bring you and he's trying to simplify the process but it doesn't mean you can't track.

So - try to track, stay accurate and check that the meal plan he provided might be more than 2500. Can't know if you don't track.

If you aren't losing at 2500, try to hit 2000 consistently for several week (4 or more and see where that puts you).

Good luck.

(edit: and now you've hidden your diary. Which is fine, but you need to understand that this raises red flags. You really only logged for a month or so, then stopped, and are now trying various schemes, Relax. stick to one thing, do it well and try to manage the emotional part too. You can get a handle on this!)
  • PaulThomp23
    Options

Be consistent.

Ok, well, if I eat at 2500 and stay inactive I gain.
    If I eat 2500 and am highly active I lose. But it is hard to have an activity level sufficient for me to lose at that level.

When your doc tells you not to worry about tracking, it is probably due to the emotional challenge it might bring you and he's trying to simplify the process but it doesn't mean you can't track.

So - try to track, stay accurate and check that the meal plan he provided might be more than 2500. Can't know if you don't track.

If you aren't losing at 2500, try to hit 2000 consistently for several week (4 or more and see where that puts you).

Good luck.

(edit: and now you've hidden your diary. Which is fine, but you need to understand that this raises red flags. You really only logged for a month or so, then stopped, and are now trying various schemes, Relax. stick to one thing, do it well and try to manage the emotional part too. You can get a handle on this!)

Thanks. Only taken it off temporarily to update it withall the details of the meal plan so i can get it back on track.

Im in the gym 3 nights a week and also do a cardio class 1 night a week so i am trying to stay active. Its just trying to figure out what changed so drastically from pre injury when i was loosing approx 2 - 3 lbs a month consitently and now when i went straight back to the same exercise/diet routine. I had imagined that once i was able to start exercising again i would start loosing again but im still waiting for it to start lol
  • PaulThomp23
    Options
    I agree with above that packaged foods are no guarantee. I too think it's a good idea to scrupliously weigh and measure EVERYTHING for a month. What have you got to lose at this point? Exercising is very good, but it's in the kitchen where you'll lose those pounds. You can eat what you like but stay within your calorie goal everyday and make sure your calorie burn is correct when exercising, if eating back calories. Don't give up now, you'll just have more to lose later. There's always a way to do this. Good luck.

PS: I always tell women to take measurements and keep a journal. Once a week is a good idea. That way there'll be no surprises the next time you buy a new shirt.

Thanks snowflake. Yeah i could never understand the slimming world mentality as they seem to be able to eat pretty much anything ot s much of anything like bacon and eggs for breakfast (things that i would tend to have avoided) yet for them this is all free food. Only thing i notice is that none of the SW people i know keep a track of their calorie intake.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    When you enter your details into MFP, and select sedentary as your activity level, and choose that you want to lose 1 lb/week ... what is the number of calories MFP gives you?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Thanks snowflake. Yeah i could never understand the slimming world mentality as they seem to be able to eat pretty much anything ot s much of anything like bacon and eggs for breakfast (things that i would tend to have avoided) yet for them this is all free food. Only thing i notice is that none of the SW people i know keep a track of their calorie intake.

Lots of posts from people that were on slimming world and stopped losing.

Look, it doesn't matter how many posts you make or how long they are, the advice would still be the same. Kind of anti climactic, isn't it?

Hmm. 2500 calorie meal plan. Was it at least delicious?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Hon--there is no "free food". That should ring alarm bells right there.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    And before anyone starts with the "are you weighing your food and how can you be sure" etc comment (although i promise that i understand you are only trying to help) we are quite fortunate in the UK that we can buy individual portions of alot of foods like beans and chicken breasts, steaks, veggies, bags of rice etc so while no i dont weigh my food per say i know buy the measurements provided on the carton how much of each food im having.

They have individual portions of food in the US as well. We UKers aren't immune from needing to think for ourselves and do our own calculations when it comes to portion sizes. Can't just expect supermarkets/food producers to do it for us. It sounds like you wanted to do this as easily as possible and got caught out.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Nothing wrong with bacon and eggs. Not high calorie either.
  • PaulThomp23
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    When you enter your details into MFP, and select sedentary as your activity level, and choose that you want to lose 1 lb/week ... what is the number of calories MFP gives you?

1950cals
  • PaulThomp23
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »

They have individual portions of food in the US as well. We UKers aren't immune from needing to think for ourselves and do our own calculations when it comes to portion sizes. Can't just expect supermarkets/food producers to do it for us. It sounds like you wanted to do this as easily as possible and got caught out.

Definitely not trying to do it as easily as possible thank you very much. But when im buying for example a box of rice and it states that theres 150g inside each of the little baggies inside the box i took that as gospel. Having had it explained that they may not be correct i will look further into weighing them to make sure what im getting is correct. However this post wasnt put up in the support section to receive snarky comments like yours. You might not have meant it as such but thats the way it came across.
  • PaulThomp23
    Options

See thats what i keep questionning. The girl beside me has just had a massive salad, far bigger than any i would have made for myself for lunch and then sliced up 3 chicken drumsticks to put on top of it. Ive just asked her how she gets to eat such a massive portion and her reply was 'its all free food on slimming world'
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Look, it doesn't matter how many posts you make or how long they are, the advice would still be the same. Kind of anti climactic, isn't it?

Yes lol

His theory was that i had been eating so little for so long that my metabolism had slowed to accomodate my low intake and in order to combat that i needed to eat more calories everyday. It was a healthy meal plan made up of meats and veggies etc wasnt all burgers and hotdogs unfortunately lol
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited June 2016
    Options

See thats what i keep questionning. The girl beside me has just had a massive salad, far bigger than any i would have made for myself for lunch and then sliced up 3 chicken drumsticks to put on top of it. Ive just asked her how she gets to eat such a massive portion and her reply was 'its all free food on slimming world'
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Yes lol

His theory was that i had been eating so little for so long that my metabolism had slowed to accomodate my low intake and in order to combat that i needed to eat more calories everyday. It was a healthy meal plan made up of meats and veggies etc wasnt all burgers and hotdogs unfortunately lol

So you took a diet break for a month. 2500 seems to be your maintenance.
    Eat below to lose, like 1950. ;)
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating back the exercise calories? I find that if I eat back the exercise calories in the MFP database I will not lose any weight.