Going for colonoscopy

Options
Hi, I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Saturday and I am freaking out about the prep diet. No fruit or veg from Wednesday and nothing but fluids on Friday... the only 'substantial' thing I will be allowed is a bit of milk in my tea....
I am trying to loose at the moment so it will probably help with that, but not stressing too much over what I eat is a big deal for me. If I even think the word diet I immediately want chocolate

Replies

• megann120
    megann120 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sorry my post got cut a bit (?) I wanted to ask if anyone here went through this... any advice, words of support, please? X
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I had to get one when I was tested for Crohns. All I can say is that you're going to be too busy drinking the prep liquid to be concerned about eating. Most people suffer upset stomachs from it. Eat light for the few days leading up to it. You will thank yourself later.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's and get colonoscopies annually. Believe me once the prep starts you will not want to eat or have time to eat ;) the actual test is a breeze though
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Go with the flow is a good way of putting it ;) just make sure you drink a lot of fluid. It's easy to get very dehydrated
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    The upside to all this is you will know what your true weight is when your bowels are totally empty. ;)

And you won't care.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I likely don't have to say this out loud but keep the bathroom near. Vaseline before the grand purge will protect your tender bits.

I was worried about the diet too as I expected to do a number on my blood sugars but it turned out I had plenty of fluids on hand.

Love the colouring book idea.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    It's not that bad, but the prep is just annoying. All of those fluids and you're too stuffed to eat. I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to go through with the test because I was too full and on the verge of throwing up the prep liquid after the second 16oz (with one more 16oz cup to go) - both rounds.
  • megann120
    megann120 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys xxx
    It really helps when people are saying that it can be done
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I had to use yellow Gatorade for my prep. PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE! I made the mistake of drinking mine at room temperature, and yuck!!! BTW to this day I cannot drink yellow Gatorade...
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

earlnabby wrote: »

It is annoying but easily done. Make sure you follow the prep diet TO THE LETTER. If you don't, you may be sent home to do it all again because your system wasn't clean enough. A second time is not worth that handful of nuts (or whatever)

This. We have patients have to redo their prep all the time for this reason!
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Don't drink the drink eat sugar free haribo bears instead ;) or drink the drink and read the amazon reviews...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Milk? That's really odd.. My husband had one done a few months ago and that was totally off limit, but he was allowed broth and jello.
  • oliverngus
    oliverngus Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything I've read-all said and done, it's annoying, but totally doable! I, too, freaked out when I had mine, but it turned out to be not a huge deal at all. Best advice-keep a variety of approved fluids in your fridge so you feel like you've got some choices, load up on chicken broth and jello (not red or purple) if your doc allows and make no plans for prep day. It will be spent in the bathroom. After it's all done, I would also highly recommend adding yogurt or a probiotic to your diet for awhile if you can-the cleanse cleans out the bad stuff AND the good and you want that good bacteria back in there asap. Good luck and this time next week it will be a distant memory! :)
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Elphabs wrote: »
    Colonoscopy prep is tough but the restrictions actually helped me. I had to get the test and following the prep was the only way to complete it. They found premalignant polyps in my colon and one in my duodenum so the test probably saved my life. The one in my duodenum would have developed without symptoms and I would have been in big trouble so I was very lucky.

That said, find a way to distract yourself. A friend of mine got an adult coloring book for her husband to help him prep and he reciprocated when it was time for her test. They said coloring helped them relax and got them through the long periods of time in the bathroom. I bet your concern about the restrictions is far worse than the prep will be and soon it will be over. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

• sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had pre malignant polyps too, so the prep was worth it. Crystal light lemonade flavor in the prep mix helped
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The prep sucks for sure but I was able to drink beef and chicken broth and consomme. That helped with the taste of the prep stuff...