losing weight before pregnancy

Options
Hello currently I am 5'1" and 124 pounds. I want to lose weight before I try to get pregnant (hopefully in October). I want to get down to 105 pounds and I am wondering if any other women out there are like me. I want to get in good shape before I get pregnant so that I won't have too much trouble losing the pregnancy weight hopefully. I don't have PCOS or other fertility issues; it's just that I want to be a fit mom.

Replies

• motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    There is a Planning for Pregnancy group...you should check it out!
  • anneouel
    anneouel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am doing that too! But I wish I was 125 lol. I'm 274# and want to get to at least 220 before pregnancy. I've always been heavy so it's a realistic goal and if I go under that then great
  • wantoldme
    wantoldme Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion I will check that out.
    @anneouel- we can do this.
  • bryonysimmo
    bryonysimmo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Me too! Currently 220 and hoping to be around 150 or less when we start trying next year! I am finding it great motivation as I'm not just doing this for myself now
  • LC107
    LC107 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have lost most of the weight I wanted to lose but now I want to get in shape (increase endurance, strength, etc). Like you, I most definitely want to be a fit momma and be extra healthy during pregnancy. I'm planning on ttc in December. It'll be here before you know it!
  • R3b3cc4Whit
    R3b3cc4Whit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to wish you well! I have 7 weeks to go until my due date. Getting in shape before the pregnancy, and gentle exercise throughout has helped me so much. I was so overweight with my first baby that it really affected what I could do after she was born and my energy levels were none existent. So good luck, and it is well worth being as fit as you can be before conceiving xx
  • wantoldme
    Options
    Great to hear other people on the same boat as me. I have never been overweight or even considered "chubby" but I want to get in good shape pre pregnancy.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hi! You're already a healthy weight for your height, I suggest you focus on fitness rather than the number on the scale.
    I'm 5'4 and at 155 I was in better shape than a lot of smaller friends because they wouldn't work out. So truely, the number on the scale doesn't mean all that much once you're in a healthy range.

With my first baby I gained 40 lbs and it
    Took almost 2 years to get that off (I was running and not doing much strength).

Three Months before we conceived baby #2, I was doing body weight workouts with hiit cardio and was in the best shape I've ever been (at 155lbs). I gained 40lbs again with baby 2. She's 3 and a half
    Months old now and I only have 14 lbs left to lose to get back to preprego weight. And I'm back do doing full push ups, squats, etc.
  • amyrp8c
    amyrp8c Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Me... I also want to get pregnant around september/october time..i want to loose about 30lb. I dont want to be feeling massive while pregnant and i want to feel healthier. Im about 190lb at the min and want to get down to 160lb, im tall 5ft 9 so 160lb is a pretty perfect and healthy weight for my height. I really hope i can do it. Im considering trying the 5:2 diet plan.
  • wantoldme
    Options
    What's the 5:2 diet?
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    wantoldme wrote: »
    Hello currently I am 5'1" and 124 pounds. I want to lose weight before I try to get pregnant (hopefully in October). I want to get down to 105 pounds and I am wondering if any other women out there are like me. I want to get in good shape before I get pregnant so that I won't have too much trouble losing the pregnancy weight hopefully. I don't have PCOS or other fertility issues; it's just that I want to be a fit mom.

As another poster said, you already are at a healthy weight for your height. Getting down to 105 lbs at your height puts you very close to being underweight. This could cause your period to become irregular or even temporary infertility. If your goal is to be fitter, you can look at strength training, fitness classes or trying a new sport. Losing the weight after pregnancy isn't that difficult with some planning and calorie counting.
  • wantoldme
    Options
    LLT38 wrote: »
    wantoldme wrote: »

As another poster said, you already are at a healthy weight for your height. Getting down to 105 lbs at your height puts you very close to being underweight. This could cause your period to become irregular or even temporary infertility. If your goal is to be fitter, you can look at strength training, fitness classes or trying a new sport. Losing the weight after pregnancy isn't that difficult with some planning and calorie counting.

I understand where you are coming from. I realize I am not overweight by any means but I just done feel comfortable in the weight I'm at right now. I'm 32 years old. A year and half ago I was 108 pounds and then I gained 16 pounds (after marriage and birth control). I'm not only short( close to 5'2" almost) but I'm very small boned (I wear a ring size of 3.25 while average woman has ring size of 6). Extra weight hurts my back and my knees and I become lethargic and it affects my mood. I do want to also lift weights but I would like my weight to be a little lower.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm 5'6", 29yo. currently 155lbs & would like to get down to 140. (Down 10lbs from 165!) I'm getting off birth control at the end of July (not trying, just not not trying lol). I know I won't be at 140 by then, but I have no idea how long it will take to for me to get preggers. Just want to keep going down until the big event happens haha. I want to start out with healthy eating & exercise so I can have the best chance at healthy pregnancy & recovery possible. Please feel free to add me anyone!
  • CharliWhitman
    CharliWhitman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is my goal too, I do however have a lot to lose! I'm a little taller than you (5'1.5... you know how important that half is!) and I'm currently 207lbs. So I definitely need to lose weight before getting pregnant again.
  • Nurse_81
    Nurse_81 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm also wanting to lose weight before we start ttc again, I have been TTC for over 2 years and recently had a miscarriage, so we've put it on hold till September /October to give myself chance to lose weight and get my head sorted
    I've found trying for a baby really stressful and ive gained most of my weight since we started trying I have 3 stone to lose, how's everyone doing?

• wantoldme
    Options
    I am 123 pounds (the most I have ever weighed is 127 pounds). My goal is to be 105 by September 21 (my 33rd birthday). I want to start trying right after my birthday.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you want to be a fit mum dong worry about the weight - get exercising, eat the right stuff. I can but dream of being your current weight. (I'm 5'1" and 33.)
    The fitness while preggo and giving birth totally helps - was much fitter with my 2nd and felt more in control of birthing and getting back to me shape after. And had more energy during pregnancy.
  • wantoldme
    Options
    I do exercise and eat generally well. I just want to be back in my best shape ever before I get pregnant.