Low Carb Diet and Ketosis

Options
I am using this site to track my Net Carbs as I am doing a Low Carb diet. It has worked for me in the past but I always seemed to give in and with it being summer it is going to be tough. I am NOT going to fill my body with fat but look to lean meats and lots of green veggies! I am 45 years old and my metabolism is not what it used to be! Anyone else doing something like this? I love that I can adjust my carbs on this site and view the fiber intake. I also purchased Ketosis strips so I can make sure I stay in the low level.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you planning to eat more fats? Most keto folks I see posting on MFP eat about 60-70% of their calories from fat.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Low carb is typically higher in fat (I get about 60% of my calories from fat). It's not really hard to meet that number (I'm not like eating sticks of butter or something). Low carb and low fat done simultaneously is not only very, very difficult, but can have negative health consequences. Typically only done under a doctors supervision.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I don't see what is wrong with a normal boring good old fashioned balanced meal that fits with your calorie targets with a view to losing excess weight gradually. Is it that it is just too boring that people have to jazz things up?
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    yogicarl wrote: »
    I don't see what is wrong with a normal boring good old fashioned balanced meal that fits with your calorie targets with a view to losing excess weight gradually. Is it that it is just too boring that people have to jazz things up?

to each his own.

OP, try these two groups, do a lot of reading and ask questions. What you've described will have you struggling and will end up being hard on your body:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    yogicarl wrote: »

Tried just that for about twenty years. Struggled with appetite as I got older. I suspect for me a certain amount of insulin resistance came into play (eating less and moving more worked fine and dandy in my teens and twenties, but once I got to be in my 30s, it became much harder to maintain the necessary deficit long enough to lose weight. I find that carbohydrates increase my appetite. Keeping them low means I am not as hungry, so I am able to comfortably eat less (without trying, and without ever having to go hungry), so I was able to lose the weight and have kept it off for almost three years now. Not everyone responds to carbs the same way I do, obviously. But for those who do, a LCHF diet is a viable option. It's not about what's "boring", it's about what works to help you achieve your goals. There is nothing wrong with a more "balanced" approach, if that is what works for you.

• tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I watch my carbs but then I have pcos and am insulin resistant so this works for me. But I am not doing low fat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you don't up your fats, you will have to up your protein which will keep you from being in ketosis as protein causes and insulin response similar to carbs.
  • SuzieMae78
    SuzieMae78 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    tryett wrote: »
    I watch my carbs but then I have pcos and am insulin resistant so this works for me. But I am not doing low fat.

I also have PCOS and find that low carb/low sugar works best for me also.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You could have a needlessly hard time going with a diet you know you can't stick to. It's a good idea to make lifestyle changes that are sustainable for you. Low carb isn't the only answer.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Why do low carb? There is no reason unless it has been advised for medical reasons. Just eat in a caloric deficit,