I have been dieting + working out, haven't changed.

Options
I am 5'7, 9st 1 & 23 years old.
I have been doing everything I can to loose weight the past 2 months. But I've only lost 2 pounds! I'm going on holiday in 24 days now and I'm dreading it...

I go to the gym atleast 4 times a week, admittedly I only burn 300 cals before I feel like I'm going to pass out ha. I'm active throughout the day & do a little HIIT session on the days I don't go gym.

I consume around 800 cals a day, maximum 1000 if it's the weekend or something. Is it because I'm not having enough food I'm not loosing weight?

Replies

• exact0ninja
    exact0ninja Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Woah! 800? 1000
    1. Eat a MINIMUM of 1200. If you burn about 300 calories a session, then you will eat 1500 calories. You need to calculate your deficits properly.
    2. 300 - 400 calories a session isn't bad. Make sure you're taking adequate breaks. It seems like your gym schedule is fine, so it's most likely all the in the kitchen and how you measure your progress. Also make sure to count your macros properly.
    3. Weight is a vague statement. Weight is comprised of fat and muscle etc. So, someone who is 130 and has more fat than someone else who weighs 130 that has more muscle will look completely different. You need to measure your limbs and trunk, and take your body fat percentage and track that. You could be gaining lean muscle mass quickly and lowering your body fat percentage. Find what body type your are, and what frame size you have. This all is very important.
    4. You're a woman right? So also take into consideration hormones and fluctuations when weighing and measuring. Don't be discouraged.

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You are already at the low end of weight range for healthy at your height (9 stone at 5'7" is a BMI of 19.7). What are you trying to accomplish by losing more weight, and by undereating so drastically? It's no wonder that working out makes you feel like you're going to pass out.

You need to eat more for your health.

Ya know what? I kind of zone out when ppl list their weight in stones.

OP Everything this poster said. If you still have fat you want to lose or trouble zones or want to look more tone its not a fat issue its a lack of muscle to support the look issue. Get to work on that. Recomp search MFP and eat some food. Of course track it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    If you were only eating 800- 1000 calories the weight would be falling off of you even at a NET of 800 to 1000 calories you would lose.

You are eating more than you think you are and that's good bc 800-1000 calories is well below what you should be consuming.

re evaluate your tracking, buy a food scale and hunker down for the long run. Do you want to lose weight for a holiday or do you want to lose the weight and maintain it? No crash diet quick fix will ever get you to your goal and have you maintain it.
    This.

And this:
    WBB55 wrote: »
    You weigh 127 lbs at 5'7 and have lost 2 lbs in 2 months? That's actually fairly ok progress. When you're already quite lean, it's hard to lose weight. If you're unhappy with your body at your current weight, my suggestion is a "recomp" where you build muscle instead of losing more body fat.
    Find out your maintenance calories for your current weight and start a heavy lifting program such as stronglifts 5x5.

• demitra666
    demitra666 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I will work on everything you said.
    I know I'm not eating enough thought it would work but clearly not. I just don't understand how more food equals loosing weight, thought if it wanted to loose as much as possible in the quickest time I would have to be super strict. This month I've been having a coffee in the morning, a banana/Apple/pomegranates around 3 and then dinner... But will start researching about macros and finding out body fat/type ect. how comes everyone always says models don't eat?!
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    demitra666 wrote: »
    I know I'm not eating enough thought it would work but clearly not. I just don't understand how more food equals loosing weight, thought if it wanted to loose as much as possible in the quickest time I would have to be super strict. This month I've been having a coffee in the morning, a banana/Apple/pomegranates around 3 and then dinner... But will start researching about macros and finding out body fat/type ect. how comes everyone always says models don't eat?!

It's not that you have to ~eat more~ to lose weight, just that if you're already slender, losing weight is more difficult. Furthermore, your body isn't going to prioritize muscle building if you're eating well below your caloric requirements. You probably don't need to lose any more weight - in fact, your weight is rather low to begin with. Focus less on losing fat and more on weight lifting and building up muscle if you're unhappy with your appearance.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

It's not that you have to ~eat more~ to lose weight, just that if you're already slender, losing weight is more difficult. Furthermore, your body isn't going to prioritize muscle building if you're eating well below your caloric requirements. You probably don't need to lose any more weight - in fact, your weight is rather low to begin with. Focus less on losing fat and more on weight lifting and building up muscle if you're unhappy with your appearance.
    This. You can eat anywhere up to your maintenance calories and not gain (of course, you need to weigh all the food that you eat and cook with). The idea is to eat at your maintenance and lift heavy to build muscle to give your body a leaner and tighter appearance (not bulky, not loose and flabby). You may see the number on the scale go up a little or stay the same, but that number doesn't matter...all that matters is the appearance of your body.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There is no way this is true unless you weigh 40lbs. Weigh your food accurately, eat your calorie goal, exercise if you want. Calories Out must be greater than calories In.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're not eating 800 calories. Just nope. Buy a food scale.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You are 100% eating more than you think.

To use MFP to it's fullest extent, you need a food scale.

Weigh all solids (NO MEASURING CUPS/SPOONS - cannot stress that enough). Peanut butter, oils, ketchup, salad dressings, dips, etc... treat these as solids. If I know a tbsp is, say 15g, I may weigh out 15g and use a diary entry that says tbsp - but I still weighed to verify.
  • sarahlifts
    edited June 2016
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Ya know what? I kind of zone out when ppl list their weight in stones.

What? You're joking, right? You have learned at school that there are other countries out there other than the USA?

Yep. I can convert kilos. I'm down with the metric system but stones? Really? No they do not teach functional use of stones in the USA.

edited to add:

As a matter of fact, users of stones should have stopped in 1985. FOH No USA nor too many other countries are using stones. I really want to go in right now. SMH . Hows your weight loss coming? Awesome I hope.

England and other Germanic-speaking countries of northern Europe formerly used various standardized "stones" for trade, with their values ranging from about 5 to 40 local pounds (roughly 3 to 15 kg) depending on the location and objects weighed. The United Kingdom's imperial system adopted the wool stone of 14 pounds in 1835. With the advent of metrication, Europe's various "stones" were superseded by or adapted to the kilogram from the mid-19th century on. The stone continues in customary use in Britain and Ireland for measuring body weight, but was prohibited for commercial use in the UK by the Weights and Measures Act of 1985.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I know I'm not eating enough thought it would work but clearly not. I just don't understand how more food equals loosing weight,

It doesn't. It's impossible that you're not losing weight eating 800 calories per day unless you're part of the X-Men and defying physics is your superpower.

You're eating more than you think, and possibly a lot more. Weigh your food.

Yep. I can convert kilos. I'm down with the metric system but stones? Really? No they do not teach functional use of stones in the USA.

Fortunately google is here to make up for the inadequacies of the US education system. I didn't even have to type anything to find the answer.

/US guy who can google real good

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7, 9st 1 & 23 years old.
    I have been doing everything I can to loose weight the past 2 months. But I've only lost 2 pounds! I'm going on holiday in 24 days now and I'm dreading it...

I go to the gym atleast 4 times a week, admittedly I only burn 300 cals before I feel like I'm going to pass out ha. I'm active throughout the day & do a little HIIT session on the days I don't go gym.

I consume around 800 cals a day, maximum 1000 if it's the weekend or something. Is it because I'm not having enough food I'm not loosing weight?

#1 Go to the doctor and ask them! we're not doctors... eating 800 calories a day is not healthy and can lead to multiple health problems. If you are eating 800 calories a day you should be losing 20 lbs a month easily... If you aren't you either need to see a doctor and have multiple tests done or you're not actually eating 800 calories.

Opinion time....

You need to invest more time into the knowledge side of everything IMO. You didn't mention anything about your program or split which means you probably aren't following one.

It's like showing up to work everyday for 2 months and expecting a raise after those 2 months. You gotta put allot work into it if you want results, allot of after hours stuff too.. you can't just show up, do your job and expect results. You have to do the stuff you hate to do too and understand that you wont see a benefit for like 8 months, but man 8 months later you're like OMFG I love that I stuck to this!!!

• sarahlifts
    edited June 2016
    Options

I googled the day I initially posted. Thank you. Wow 2 derailers.
    Do you have any advise for this underweight under eater who is trying to lose more?
    Also how is your weight loss coming along? Building maintaining losing?

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Do you have any advise for this underweight under eater who is trying to lose more?

I'm not trying to sound like an *kitten* but I have no idea what you're trying to say with the first sentence.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,773 Member
    Options
    Who is going to be the first to say "starvation mode"?
  • sarahlifts
    Options

I'm not trying to sound like an *kitten* but I have no idea what you're trying to say with the first sentence.

I googled stone to pound conversion the first day I posted to this topic. Which is why I changed my stance. OP is nearly under weight and under eating. its awesome she hasn't lost weight.

Do you have anything of substance to add to the OP's issue?