What do you do when you plateau?

Options
Not sure what to do about this plateau I have been on for months. I am on 1200 calories a day so I don't know if I should go lower on the calories or not. More exercise maybe? I need some help. I've lost 33 lbs so far but the last 10 just won't seem to go. Can anyone help?

Replies

• Adrienneburrows1
    Adrienneburrows1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    No I don't weigh it but I log everything I eat
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    I'd tell you what I do but it's unhealthy and it makes me sound crazy
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Not sure what to do about this plateau I have been on for months. I am on 1200 calories a day so I don't know if I should go lower on the calories or not. More exercise maybe? I need some help. I've lost 33 lbs so far but the last 10 just won't seem to go. Can anyone help?

Start strength training
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I would ask others to take a look at my diary to see if I'm slacking on something (consistency and/or accuracy). Sometimes having a second set of eyes will catch something that we overlook or don't see as a problem.

Along with that I would also recommend a food scale. It can mean the difference between maintaining and losing.
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Going thru a plateau stage right now, too. I will continue to do what I have done in the past...keep weighing/measuring my food...keep exercising...keep being patient...and I know that scale will move again sooner or later. After weighing/measuring my food for all these months, I can't not do it because it has become such a habit for me to do so. I log everything because even if it has no calories, there are things like sodium in food and I have to keep track of my sodium intake.
  • Adrienneburrows1
    Options
    Ok. So apparently I will have to buy a scale lol. I don't eat back my calories usually. I do log everything I eat and drink. I don't think I can do less than 1200 calories though.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Ok. So apparently I will have to buy a scale lol. I don't eat back my calories usually. I do log everything I eat and drink. I don't think I can do less than 1200 calories though.

Without weighing your food, you're most likely eating more than you think. Don't go below 1200. When my scale broke and I couldn't get another for a couple of months, I thought I was doing just fine estimating but I wasn't losing weight. When I started logging again, I was shocked to find out I was eating at my maintenance and not at a deficit.
  • Adrienneburrows1
    Options
    Ok. I will have to get a scale soon. Thanks. Should I up my exercise too?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Ok. I will have to get a scale soon. Thanks. Should I up my exercise too?

Don't go nuts. If you feel like upping it fine. The food scale is the ticket.
  • Adrienneburrows1
    Options
    What about those color coded food storage boxes? Does anyone use those?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    What about those color coded food storage boxes? Does anyone use those?

They still aren't as accurate as weighing. Think about how much food one can stuff into a box as opposed to just barely filling it. It's easy to go over calories with them since it is hard to gauge exactly how much food can go into them.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you cant go below 1200 calories, increase your exercise a little