Overnight Oats

Options
Ohiomom91
Ohiomom91 Posts: 34 Member
I see recipes on Pinterest for overnight oats but haven't tried them. Interested to hear from anyone who has.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I used to do overnight oats all the time. The only reason I don't anymore is that I burnt out on them for a bit. Thanks for reminding me. I should really start prepping them again!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I like them in summer when it's too hot for porridge - they can be really tasty.
    Try a few recipes and see what you like - andif you look up Bircher muesli you'll get a more traditional take on them.
  • Ohiomom91
    Options
    I used to do overnight oats all the time. The only reason I don't anymore is that I burnt out on them for a bit. Thanks for reminding me. I should really start prepping them again!

What did you put in them? I assume they're eaten cold right out of the fridge?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Ohiomom91 wrote: »

What did you put in them? I assume they're eaten cold right out of the fridge?

Some people warm them up, but I always ate mine cold. I used to add a handful of fruit & some sweetener along with the base recipe for the oats. Peaches or blueberries and brown sugar were favorites. Or powdered peanut butter.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    .5c oats, .5c vanilla Greek yogurt, .5c coconut almond milk and whatever topping. That's my basic recipe.

I have cinnamon blueberry in the fridge for tomorrow, but pb/banana is a big favorite. Or strawberries with a T of mini chocolate chips is good too. I prefer fruit with breakfast, but there are some more savory recipes you can try too.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Oats, plain yoghurt, grated apple, skim milk - leave it overnight overnight.
    Then in the morning I'd add some berries or other fruit, slivered almond or other nuts and/or seeds. Some vanilla or cinnamon, maybe honey if I want it sweeter.
    I wouldn't ever warm this up - it I want warm oats, I'll cook porridge.
  • Ohiomom91
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to buy oats today and try it tomorrow morning!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I tried overnite oats a while ago and have become a fan.

Layer in a large mouth jar or container

30g oats
    4 chopped almonds
    5g chia seeds (absorb liquid)
    cinnamon
    10g dried blueberries (I can't get fresh where I live)
    90g tart apple-juliane
    25g frozen raspberries
    drizzle with 100g milk

refrigerate overnite--I eat it right out of the frig after mixing a bit

This recipe is about 300 calories if I remember right. You can change it up as you like.
  • megann120
    megann120 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Can I chip in and ask what is the texture of the oats? I never liked any mueslis because the floury texture bothers me.
    Are they soft? Can you reallg feel the oaty taste?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    megann120 wrote: »
    Can I chip in and ask what is the texture of the oats? I never liked any mueslis because the floury texture bothers me.

There are all kinds of oats. Maybe you should try different kinds to see what you like. I buy mine at a bio shop that has the oats in a huge bag and they just scoop them out (same with lentils, beans.spices, etc--really a fun store), so I could ask to taste first. If you could find a place like that, it would help you.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I love them.

50g oats, equal amounts of water, teaspoon of peanut butter, 1 x banana.

Best breakfast.
  • GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good, easy, convenient & can be adapted with different add-ins (fruit/nuts/spices/etc) to keep from getting monotonous or boring.

Love my oats! A year round item for me; however, almost my daily breakfast in the summer -- "cooking" breakfast & leaving for work basically unnoticed while the kiddos are still asleep. Eggs, pancakes, or smoothies taste better to me - but, at 6am those breakfasts require more effort & noise :o Sometimes best to let sleeping spouse & teens have their peace & quiet :wink: At least until 7:30 haha
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    megann120 wrote: »

There are all kinds of oats. Maybe you should try different kinds to see what you like. I buy mine at a bio shop that has the oats in a huge bag and they just scoop them out (same with lentils, beans.spices, etc--really a fun store), so I could ask to taste first. If you could find a place like that, it would help you.

This^

Instant oats are going to retain the least amount of texture.....old fashioned (rolled) kind of in the middle....then steel cut for the most texture.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I like them but they don't feel me up as much as I like for some reason... and I'm often disappointed when I follow a recipe because it doesn't taste at all like what the thing says... those 'cake batter' or 'brownie batter' overnight oats recipes? NOPE.

I also noticed that I just don't like them with plain yogurt. I usually use almond milk, nut butter (or nuts) and some protein powder.
  • sueelaineparker
    sueelaineparker Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There is a lady at work who swears by over night oats, she uses rolled. I've yet to try them but they sound like a quick breakfast!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    There is a lady at work who swears by over night oats, she uses rolled. I've yet to try them but they sound like a quick breakfast!

I've used those, rough oats, and steel cut. Just got to try what you like best, but yeah I definitely need less liquid with the rough oats than the steel cut ones (and it thickens if you use protein powder too).
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    this is my favorite recipe so far, but i'm fairly new to them too. i weigh everything but just using measurements here for convenience where i don't remember the exact grams

1/2 banana
    Plant fusion protein - 1/2 scoop (vegan, vanilla flavored)
    Pb2, 12 grams
    Bob's Redmill - Rolled Oats, 0.5 cup dry (48g)
    Vanilla Almond Milk, 4 oz
    Truvia - Sweetener, 1 Packet
    chia seeds 1 tsp

edit: i also add some water if the ingredients aren't mixing well.

i think the protein helps keep me full longer, i eat them when i get to work since they travel really well and i'm constantly in a rush in the morning. i love that they are just grab and go.
  • swissmiss431
    swissmiss431 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you want to try Bircher Muesli, the original overnight oats check out my recipe. I actually live in Switzerland and you can buy these ready made all over the place (but homemade is better!). https://mindyqs.com/2016/01/07/bircher-muesli-breakfast-of-swiss-champions/
  • loraborealis
    loraborealis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love overnight oats! Here's my typical recipe (focus is on fiber):

1/4-1/2 cup oats
    1/2 TB chia seeds
    1/2 TB whole golden flax seeds
    1/2 TB psyllium husk flakes
    1 cup liquid of choice (light vanilla almond/soy milk are my go-to's)
    + sweetener of choice (chopped banana/chopped dates/raisins/maple syrup etc)

By morning, the oats are well soaked and soft enough to eat.

Tip- if you need extra fiber, grab a bag of Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick Oats instead of regular oats!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Tried it once. I love cooked oatmeal, but soggy raw oats are not my thing.