Healthy(er) Fast Food

Options
So today I'm leaving on a 15 hour drive to Georgia.... I've packed TONS of water, and I have cheese, crackers and fruit. I'm afraid I'm gonna get really hungry and may need to stop. I HATE gas station food and I strongly DISLIKE fast food, but I know I may need to eat. Anyone have any ideas on the best food to get at any fast food restaurant??

If I can find a SUBWAY, i'll be stopping but if not ideas???

i dont want to have to stop to go inside if i dont have too. i have my puppy along in the car with me and do NOT want to leave him in there along especially with the heat!!

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    What if you pop in to grocery stores instead of fast food stores and grab some food from there? You'll have much finer control over what you're eating. Maybe even bring a small cooler with you.
  • hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken sandwichs from McDonalds and Wendys. Tell them no sauce. add your own mustard. also they both have grilled chicken snack wraps. Use mustard only again on those. The snack wraps are great for eating in the car.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    oo thats a good idea, if anything get grilled chicken instead of fried or a burger, or a salad, lots of fast food places have salads not, just don't pour on a ton of dressing
  • shortee75
    shortee75 Posts: 164
    Options
    what about the chargrill chicken sandwich from Chick-Fil-A?
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I go for the kid meal at fast food.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    wendy's has the new salads that look pretty good. What i do, when on the road, instead of fast food, it almost just as fast to pop into a grocery store,and got one of their premade salads, or cruise the deli. Lots of choices there. How about before you leave, cooking up some chicken breasts, and taking some cottage cheese, or carrot sticks, radishes, celery and hummus. You don't really have to do fast food on the road, unless you want to.
  • tlems
    tlems Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Arbys roast beef - is like 300 calories, and the salads are pretty lo cal...but stay away from the curly fries.
  • CarrieGinger
    Options
    Taco bell has a light menu...the grilled chicken burrito I think has around 300 calories and very fulfulling! I eat it every once in awhile...
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass two and a half months ago, and something similar happened to me. If fast food is the only option, I will get the kid's 2 piece chicken fingers from Sonic with apples and a diet soda. All of that is less than 300 calories. I also like Chik-Fil-A's grilled chicken sandwiches. I hope that helps! Good luck!
  • supershala
    supershala Posts: 30
    Options
    SUBWAY! Turkey or ham sandwich on wheat with mustard, no cheese, and all the veggies you want...under 300 calories.
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Always order the smallest everything when eating fast food - junior/kids size or small if necessary. Try and stay away from too many condiments - mayo, ketchup, dressing, etc. Even though you are on the road remember to drink plenty of water since fast food tends to have a lot of sodium.
  • dublvision2
    Options
    Panera bread has some great sandwiches and salads.
    I also will go with Wendy's grilled chicken or the kids crispy chicken meal (it's pretty close in calories to the bigger sandwiches)
    Jimmie Johns or Lenny's sandwich shops have some great choices, too.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You are better off getting a regular hamburger instead of chicken or one of the salads. They can pack 1000mg or more of sodium!
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    I third the grocery store idea. But if you have to do fast food, Taco Bell is a good option - they have a whole Al Fresco menu and everything is under 300 calories - you can get 2 shrimp tacos for under 300. :) Lots of sodium tho. :( Have a fun and safe trip! :)
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Burger King has a veggie burger that's pretty good. And apple fries (25 cal!) and a side salad.

If your cell phone has internet and if you're willing to sit for a min to figure a meal out, you can always check the MFP database for the calorie cost of your potential meal picks.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Chipotle, get the bowl, if you are going low carb, skip the beans, and go light on the rice, if you do low fat, skip the guac, cheese and sour cream
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    What if you pop in to grocery stores instead of fast food stores and grab some food from there? You'll have much finer control over what you're eating. Maybe even bring a small cooler with you.

I second this! PB and J is a staple meal for me! add a few baby carrots on the side and you got yourself a nice, healthy, cheap meal. and you don't even have to stop for it! If you crave something salty, a bag of healthy whole grain corn chips do the trick for me.

But if you must stop to get food, panera is a GREAT option. their asian chicken salad is AMAZING! (no wonton strips) their soups are pretty reasonable too (expect the CRAZY HIGH SODIUM). Their sandwiches are decent, I mean, they're delicious, but not so low-cal, low-sodium, low-carb, low-fat. Any sliced deli meat will kill your sodium intake for the day...just a fact of life.

Happy travels!!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Chipotle? I cut calories by asking for my burrito without rice. It's awesome. I get plenty of grains in the whole wheat wrap instead.

I also think Wendy's has some good salads (compared to most chains).
  • rowdymcrowdy
    Options
    Try McDonalds and get two chicken breast patties as side orders and two fruit and yogurt--The chicken is 110 calories each and the yogurt with out the granola is 130 cals with granola it is 160 cals
  • jenism
    jenism Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'd opt for stopping at a fast food Japanese restaurant that serves sushi. :) Many grocery stores in my area sell sushi that is fairly decent.