I think I've plateaued..

Options
Ryan_FHP
Ryan_FHP Posts: 18 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I'm 6'1" 230 pounds. I've lost 50 in the last 8 months but didn't start watching my calories until April of this year. People have noticed big changes but my number on the scale isn't dropping.. Ive been eating 1800 calories a day and going to the gym 6 days a week.

Diet is grilled chicken, eggs, oats, low calorie bread (45 per slicd), rice, brocolli.

My question is what gives, why am I not seeing any more changes??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It looks like your diary is closed, so that will limit how specific people can be. If you've been eating 1,800 calories each day since April and you haven't lost any weight at all, then the issue is either that you're eating more than you think you are (accidentally choosing wrong database entries or measuring foods incorrectly) or that you need to eat less than 1,800 a day to lose weight.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    do you weigh all solids on a food scale?
  • Ryan_FHP
    edited June 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    do you weigh all solids on a food scale?

Yeah I have been weighing everything and taking the measurements into Google to get calorie info when it isn't available on the package. So for example I'll Google "5.5 oz of skinless boneless chicken breast" and it'll bring me to a site that says "there is x amount of calories". Its usually fatsecret.com I believe.
  • Ryan_FHP
    Options
    It looks like your diary is closed, so that will limit how specific people can be. If you've been eating 1,800 calories each day since April and you haven't lost any weight at all, then the issue is either that you're eating more than you think you are (accidentally choosing wrong database entries or measuring foods incorrectly) or that you need to eat less than 1,800 a day to lose weight.

I quick add my calories but I weigh my food
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    1800 is pretty good I think. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 235 right now and 2000 typically gets the scale moving down for me. How long have you been stuck at the exact same weight?
    Ryan_FHP wrote: »
    Diet is grilled chicken, eggs, oats, low calorie bread (45 per slicd), rice, brocolli.

Sounds healthy but that's not really the issue. You could lose eating nothing but McDonald's. You're missing something on your calorie intake. Pretty sure about that. If you want to prove a point, try cutting to 1600 - 1700 for a day and see the difference.

Also a new workout routine can make you retain some water. Don't listen to the woooo on this. You don't eternally retain more and more. You'll still drop if you're eating under your calorie requirements. Just know that having a week of no change doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. If you're passing 2 weeks then take a closer look at your calorie intake. That's the deal.
  • Ryan_FHP
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    1800 is pretty good I think. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 235 right now and 2000 typically gets the scale moving down for me. How long have you been stuck at the exact same weight?

Sounds healthy but that's not really the issue. You could lose eating nothing but McDonald's. You're missing something on your calorie intake. Pretty sure about that. If you want to prove a point, try cutting to 1600 - 1700 for a day and see the difference.

Also a new workout routine can make you retain some water. Don't listen to the woooo on this. You don't eternally retain more and more. You'll still drop if you're eating under your calorie requirements. Just know that having a week of no change doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. If you're passing 2 weeks then take a closer look at your calorie intake. That's the deal.

I can try lowering a bit more. The frustrating thing is all of the TDEE calculators I've used say 2700 calories a day will make me lose weight but 1800 was the "agressive" path.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

I can try lowering a bit more. The frustrating thing is all of the TDEE calculators I've used say 2700 calories a day will make me lose weight but 1800 was the "agressive" path.

Sounds a bit high for loss but of course that depends on how you do your calculations. I have my base at 2500, set my stats as sedentary, and I add more depending on exercise that day. This seems to be pretty true for me. If I eat about that much and don't exercise the weight seems to stay flat.

I used this calorie requirement calculator.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

If you're eating the same things most of the time then spend a week or two being very very picky about calculating calories. You can soften up on the accuracy once you have that figured out. Heck, I don't even log some days. If you're stalling and you want to drop you'll just need to watch things closer.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    25288g0vya3f.jpeg