Fractional Plates

Options
Hi all,

I am currently in my third week of Stronglifts 5x5 and I have stalled on a 50lb OHP. The app gave me the alert to deload on my next workout, but also said something about fractional weights.

The smallest plates my gym has are 2.5lbs.

I really want to commit to getting stronger, but I struggle with OHP. My upper body strength is just not there yet. Would fractional plates (maybe one pound increments) be something I should look into?

If so, where is a good place to get them? In person or online? I have browsed the websites of local fitness equipment stores but I haven't seen them advertise anything less than 2.5 lbs. I am located in Canada.

Would appreciate input from more experienced lifters.

Thank you!

Replies

• LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm doing SL5X5, too! My gym has 2.5 and 1 1/4 plays. I've been lifting for 3+years, and never needed any others do, if anything, maybe pick up some of those if anything. And don't worry...you'll get there and then, in a year, you'll be using 50# for your warm up weight. This is how you get stronger. It takes time.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    They're very expensive, but I love Platemates. They're magnetic so you can slap them on and off really quickly. I have 2.5s but they also make 1.25s.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, cool! I'm going to have to look for those!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the website, but I got mine online. I even have .5 plates. They definitely come in handy for OHP!
  • aprilh203
    aprilh203 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There are fractional weights available in sets on Amazon. They are relatively expensive ($40CANfor sets of .25-1.5 lb set). Any chance your gym has a bar that weighs less than 45 lbs? We have several "technique" bars which are shorter, aluminum bars that weigh 15 lbs and allow beginners to build up their weight specifically on OHP and Bench. If you can go that route, you can probably avoid getting the fractional plates. And don't get discouraged if your OHP moves slowly. It seems to be tough one for women to progress on quickly. It's by far my slowest mover. I just focus on getting more reps than the previous week. Happy lifting!
  • sourpower434
    sourpower434 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Genius idea for less expensive fractional plates... https://mannixcastro.com/2011/10/08/cheap-fractional-plates-for-microloading/
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I picked up a couple of 1.25 plates on fleabay a year or two back. Weren't particularly pricey.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    aprilh203 wrote: »
    There are fractional weights available in sets on Amazon. They are relatively expensive ($40CANfor sets of .25-1.5 lb set). Any chance your gym has a bar that weighs less than 45 lbs? We have several "technique" bars which are shorter, aluminum bars that weigh 15 lbs and allow beginners to build up their weight specifically on OHP and Bench. If you can go that route, you can probably avoid getting the fractional plates. And don't get discouraged if your OHP moves slowly. It seems to be tough one for women to progress on quickly. It's by far my slowest mover. I just focus on getting more reps than the previous week. Happy lifting!

I will try to take a look around tomorrow when I go. I have seen the EZ Bar, but I have never used it before.

My gym *does* have fixed weight barbells that I have used for my warm ups because they are less than the Olympic bar.

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Genius idea for less expensive fractional plates... https://mannixcastro.com/2011/10/08/cheap-fractional-plates-for-microloading/

That is very clever! I will definitely keep that in mind. Thank you!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of fractional plates online from rogue fitness that were under $20 shipped. That's some of the best money I've spent because increasing weight in higher increments was killing me.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Loops of steel chain can also work (BTDT), but I got inspired and just cut some .5 lb and 1lb plates (painted and ugly, but they do just fine) mostly 'cause Rogue wanted more to ship their 1.25lb plates than the plates cost.