My daily fat, carbs and protein issue...really want to lose weight as fast as possible...

Options
I am 5'6, 148 lb female and ideally would like to go down to 130 pre pregnancy weight. I seem to find a trend on the macros that I go way over the 30% in fats, way over the 20% in protein BUT way under the carb suggestion of 50%. I know myself and am a carbaholic and therefor majority of my weight gain has been because of carbs. So I've been really cutting the carbs except about once a day I have a reduced carb tortilla such as fish tacos or veggie tacos. I also noticed breakfast is my biggest calorie intake, then lunch and the dinner I intake less calories. I would think this is the magic for weight loss! But this app is saying I am not eating enough carbs! But I'm pretty sure that's the big factor as well as sugar! I am wondering if this app isn't meant for me as I am loving this steak or chicken with salad for lunch, chia pudding for breakfast with raspberries and blueberries, and a small fish taco for dinner! I am to eat 1200 calories a day in order to lose weight healthily, and while I find myself 100 over that or 100 under that daily, I don't mind as I look at it as a whole for the week. Anyway, I am incorporating couch 2 5k runs while jogging my one year old in a hefty jogger, probably about 3 times a week. When will I start seeing weight loss? And should I really be looking at the macros on this even though I eat high fats and proteins but low carbs, or am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Yes, I reset my macros to similar to yours. I would expect you'll see some loss after the first week.
  • longjasonm
    longjasonm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why the emphasis on rapid weight loss? Obsessing and wild lifestyle changes are not sustainable, nor is an unhealthy focus on a number on a scale. You'll quickly find yourself burnt out and back to your current weight, if not heavier.

You are exercising, which will build muscle. A diet low in carbs and high in protein is conducive to weight loss, as is regular cardiovascular exercise.

Keep at it, the weight will come off if you can stick to a healthy lifestyle that is realistic.
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Since you exercise eating 1300 calories is probably still putting you in a deficit everyday which is what really matters. As long as you eat less calories than you burn make your macros whatever you want them to be its that simple. Eating more protein and fats is just going to keep you full longer which is why people tend to set macros a certain way so they can hit the calorie goal at the end of the day.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing good. Just edit your goals and set the macros where you want them. I'm doing 20% (or under) carbs, 25% (or over) protein, and fats are set to 55% but I just let them fall where they may
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    longjasonm wrote: »
    Why the emphasis on rapid weight loss? Obsessing and wild lifestyle changes are not sustainable, nor is an unhealthy focus on a number on a scale. You'll quickly find yourself burnt out and back to your current weight, if not heavier.

You are exercising, which will build muscle. A diet low in carbs and high in protein is conducive to weight loss, as is regular cardiovascular exercise.

Keep at it, the weight will come off if you can stick to a healthy lifestyle that is realistic.
    I fixed it,building muscle for the most part takes a surplus. its very very hard to build it in a deficit and takes longer for women. also low carbs and high protein have nothing to do with weight loss,a caloric deficit does. if you eat low carbs and high protein and are eating in a surplus you will gain weight not lose it.

• jakefitzgerald93
    jakefitzgerald93 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi :) first off ignore calories :p stick to this and you'll lose 1 - 2 of fat per week I promise.

160g protein
    80-100g fat
    80g carbs

Revolve your carbs around exercise, slow releasing carbs before and sugar straight after :)

Inbox me if you want a free proper diet plan. Goodluck!
  • Sarahmonki22
    Sarahmonki22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's not "rapid" weight loss for me per se. I've been here before where I gained a bit too much because of over indulgence and I notice my inner stomach can handle larger portions. One time when this happened, I actually had traveled to India for 3 months wearing a back pack and started off 150, and with the diet I ate there (pretty much vegetarian and by that lots of veggie stir fry and curries), and also I didn't eat as much as I did as usual in America, I ate how they ate in India, I dropped 20 lbs, not even knowing as I was pretty much traveling the entire country by foot and train. I came back with rapid weight loss but it actually was stable as I was more conscious of eating smaller portions here in America. What happened this round is all about pregnancy and breastfeeding. I just started weaning breastfeeding (they say breastfeeding is a calorie burner as well), I was always hungry and jumped back into eating like a whale, hoagies, pizzas and what not because I was always hungry while breastfeeding. Now that I don't nurse as often BUT still eat like a whale I am starting to see it pack on again. So I know my body and what it is capable of, I just need to reset my under stomach into a smaller size and eat like a bird aka graze through out the day. So it's not a crash diet I would think, it's just me bouncing back to my healthier diet that keeps me in good shape as well as thin. That being said, I had no idea we could adjust the macros, great to know and I went to adjust it to 20% carbs, 35% protein and 45 for fats. Does this sound okay? Also since I have a pretty busy schedule at work and being a mommy, it's not always possible to get my running in. I will try my best but if I stay within the 1200 calorie line even with the high protein and fats, or am I just risking more weight gain if I don't do enough exercising on a daily basis?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about eating at a deficit. Your body burns calories even without exercise. Exercising is good for health & fitness, and can mean burning more calories - but is not required for weight loss.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    It's not "rapid" weight loss for me per se. I've been here before where I gained a bit too much because of over indulgence and I notice my inner stomach can handle larger portions. One time when this happened, I actually had traveled to India for 3 months wearing a back pack and started off 150, and with the diet I ate there (pretty much vegetarian and by that lots of veggie stir fry and curries), and also I didn't eat as much as I did as usual in America, I ate how they ate in India, I dropped 20 lbs, not even knowing as I was pretty much traveling the entire country by foot and train. I came back with rapid weight loss but it actually was stable as I was more conscious of eating smaller portions here in America. What happened this round is all about pregnancy and breastfeeding. I just started weaning breastfeeding (they say breastfeeding is a calorie burner as well), I was always hungry and jumped back into eating like a whale, hoagies, pizzas and what not because I was always hungry while breastfeeding. Now that I don't nurse as often BUT still eat like a whale I am starting to see it pack on again. So I know my body and what it is capable of, I just need to reset my under stomach into a smaller size and eat like a bird aka graze through out the day. So it's not a crash diet I would think, it's just me bouncing back to my healthier diet that keeps me in good shape as well as thin. That being said, I had no idea we could adjust the macros, great to know and I went to adjust it to 20% carbs, 35% protein and 45 for fats. Does this sound okay? Also since I have a pretty busy schedule at work and being a mommy, it's not always possible to get my running in. I will try my best but if I stay within the 1200 calorie line even with the high protein and fats, or am I just risking more weight gain if I don't do enough exercising on a daily basis?

reset your stomach into a smaller size? you stomach does not shrink by eating less. your stomach stays the same size,expands some with food and then goes back to its normal size. to get a smaller stomach would require surgery. what do you mean bu your "inner stomach" can handle larger portions?
  • Sarahmonki22
    Options
    Honesty maybe it's pseudo, like it's just mental for me but for some reason I notice my stomach is more capable of eating larger amounts but when I go months eating smaller portions, that if i eat a massive meal I feel like I'm am so full to the point of feeling sick. Now I can eat endless without feeling full, even if it's just a high fiber high protein diet and not carbs. So I "feel" like it's because my stomach is so used to eating large amounts of food as to when I go a few weeks eating smaller portions, I cannot just eat a large meal without feeling sick. I don't know if that makes any sense?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Glad you figured out how to change your macros! In case anyone else was wondering, you do that here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

Macros are important for satiety, and this is individual. I like 40 carbs, 30 fat, and 30 protein, but I have vegan friends who are happy on way more carbs and less protein and fat.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Honesty maybe it's pseudo, like it's just mental for me but for some reason I notice my stomach is more capable of eating larger amounts but when I go months eating smaller portions, that if i eat a massive meal I feel like I'm am so full to the point of feeling sick. Now I can eat endless without feeling full, even if it's just a high fiber high protein diet and not carbs. So I "feel" like it's because my stomach is so used to eating large amounts of food as to when I go a few weeks eating smaller portions, I cannot just eat a large meal without feeling sick. I don't know if that makes any sense?

yeah it makes sense but just not how you were describing it before. if you arent feeling full you need to make sure you get plenty of water,healthy fats,protein and fiber. eat more smaller frequent meals if you have to.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, I strongly suggest you check out the main low carber forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out so stop by, say hello and introduce yourself:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    reset your stomach into a smaller size? you stomach does not shrink by eating less. your stomach stays the same size,expands some with food and then goes back to its normal size. to get a smaller stomach would require surgery. what do you mean bu your "inner stomach" can handle larger portions?

The stomach can be conditioned to stretch more or less based on one's typical portion sizes. Competitive eaters train themselves to a lot of stretch. Eating small meals all the time will condition the stomach to less stretch, making it uncomfortable to eat larger meals.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

The stomach can be conditioned to stretch more or less based on one's typical portion sizes. Competitive eaters train themselves to a lot of stretch. Eating small meals all the time will condition the stomach to less stretch, making it uncomfortable to eat larger meals.

your stomach does not shrink,yes after the food is emptied it will go back to its normal size but you cannot shrink it. its the same size it is once you are an adult. it expands for a short time.eating less may cause you appetite to not be so ravenous but it doesnt shrink without surgery. its like a balloon being filled with air and then the air let out in simple terms. as for competitive eaters they learn how to eat a lot of food at one time. they train themselves to do it hopefully without vomiting. but a lot of them do vomit afterwards. watch one up close and see
  • Sarahmonki22
    Options

Thank you for this! This is exactly how I feel when it comes to conditioning the stomach to less stretch!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thank you for this! This is exactly how I feel when it comes to conditioning the stomach to less stretch!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3317257/

also in science class as kids we learned that with meals the stomach does expand but will shrink back to its original size when empty. if you could shrink it on your own there would be no need for some people to need surgeries