Need more protien and fiber but don't need carbs - what to eat??

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    godobethin wrote: »
    6 cashews for breakfast? That's it? I would be starving! And, I could never eat just 6 cashews... Lol

It may be hard to balance today out, but, there is no reason you can't learn to balance out your meals from here on out.

I have a carb and a protein every meal. Rice with grilled chicken, roasted potatoes with steak tips, fish with a serving of pasta with squeezed lemon and Parmesan, add a small salad at dinner time or vegetables mixed into rice or pasta, eggs with cereal, toast or a banana, it's pretty simple really. If you have a portion of carbs and a portion of protein with some healthy fat at every meal, you will be more successful in hitting those goals. I also find, for me, I never have cravings for anything because my blood sugar is always balanced.

That banana would be half my carbs for the day! I only eat the nuts when I wake so my BS doesn't go too low, but I am not ready to eat anything more for a couple hours. The oatmeal was then. The sushi is the only other thing I had, and I was nearly out of carbs already.
    tryett wrote: »
    I don't worry if my macros are off by day. They usually balance over the course of a week. If I need fat, heavy cream (which is lower carb) in diet root beer makes a nice treat. Turkey or chicken always does it for protein.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    OK, first goal is to get enough calories in. It's too late to balance the macros today. In the future, try and balance every meal with a little protein.

Otherwise, what you're gnawing on is two plain cooked chicken breasts. Forget the fiber. It's too late.
    Forget about the calories :smile: high fat, high protein, low carb. Best way to lose weight, oh and every 4th day high carb low fat :wink:
    Forget about the calories :smile: high fat, high protein, low carb. Best way to lose weight, oh and every 4th day high carb low fat :wink:
    TeaBea wrote: »

So I can forget about calories as long as I'm eating HFLC.....but day 4 = LF too? If this were fact, you would think everyone would "know" this.

Is this also the "best way" to maintain the weight you lost? Because if it doesn't help me keep the weight from creeping back....I'm not interested.

I appreciate the thought, but I need my BS to be regulated always and cannot play with days off/on carbs. Why can't I still get fiber in when I haven't had dinner yet and I am nowhere near 1200 cals, which I do have to watch to get at least that many.

It's too late to hit your macros today, and anyway what's key for weight loss is your calories.

You can prelog for tomorrow and adjust as necessary.
  • jjbeezy
    jjbeezy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I watch my carbs heavily but I never shy away from natural carbs like bananas & other fruit/veg. Fiber is super important. Have that banana! Don't be so hard on yourself! It will be impossible to stick with such strict restriction. As for protein, add where you can. Other posts suggested great options. I'm big on adding a nut butter sporadically, chicken, turkey burgers, beans....you've got this!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Why only 75 grams of carbs a day? Are you diabetic? Is that why you mention your blood sugar? 5'4" and 216 I would think you'd have a higher calorie goal than 1200. Do you exercise? Also, when counting carbs, do you deduct the fiber and use the net amount? I started at 254.5, I eat basically equal amounts of carbs and protein, my blood sugar doesn't spike, and I've lost 31 pounds in 13 weeks eating around 1500 daily.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sushi was surprisingly carby to me too the first time I logged it. With such a low carb limit, you are probably going to have trouble fitting in many grain-based meals. Hunks o' lowfat meat will be your friend if you want to stick with this macro split.
  • paullaf69
    paullaf69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    godobethin wrote: »
    Totals 524 75 7 13 14 12
    Your Daily Goal 1,210 91 25 121 40 45
    Remaining 686 15 17 107 26 33
    Calories Carbs Fiber Protein Fat Sugar

I would suggest pure Whey protein and fiber supplements. On the other hand if this is not a typical end of day breakdown for you, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • godobethin
    godobethin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I think I did pretty good getting to my goals, but man do I need to get the protein in earlier and regularly. I have never felt like not eating, and I sure feel better now with 3hrs of "dinner" in me. Oatmeal with Nbutter for breakfast tomorrow, shakes for sure, though the ones a friend gave me have too many carbs they will do for now. Spinach, nut salads. I have another pork chop for tomorrow (in intervals this time and I am defrosting a chicken for snacking and making bone broth with heavy veggies. Anything else I should keep in mind? So glad to be here...couldn't even think to google in my hunger!

Your Food Diary For:
    Monday, June 6, 2016
    Breakfast Calories Carbs Fiber Protein Fat Sugar
    Southern Grove (Aldi) - Cashews, Whole, Jumbo Fancy W/sea Salt, 0.05 cup (30g) 36 2 0 1 3 0
    Add Food Quick Tools
    36 2 0 1 3 0
    Lunch
    Quaker - Whole Oats, 0.63 cup (40g) 188 34 5 6 4 1
    Add Food Quick Tools
    188 34 5 6 4 1
    Dinner
    Bjs Wholesale Club - Sushi, 6 pieces 300 40 2 6 7 10
    Tuna - Tuna in Water, 1 container (4 oz) 100 0 0 22 1 0
    Isogenix - Mealreplacement Shake, 2 scoops = 1full serving 240 28 7 23 5 14
    Meijer - Pork Chops, 8 oz 340 0 0 48 16 0
    Cedar's - Tzatziki, 28 g (2T) 30 2 0 2 2 1
    Add Food Quick Tools
    1,010 70 9 101 31 25
    Snacks
    Add Food Quick Tools

Totals 1,234 105 14 108 38 27
    Your Daily Goal 1,210 91 25 121 40 45
    Remaining -24 -14 10 12 2 18
    Calories Carbs Fiber Protein Fat Sugar
    If every day were like today... You'd weigh 205.1 lbs in 5 weeks
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if you need to regulate your blood sugar, you could have half a serving of oatmeal twice a day sweetened with stevia or a non-calorie sweetener. i find having 20 grams of oats causes much lower increase in blood sugar, and having it twice means i can have the same amount of calories without the spikes.

maybe next time, you could have spread out the sushi, as well. having say 80 grams of carbs in two meals will cause much more increase than having 80 grams of carbs spread across 12 hours. just a thought.

as far as fiber, can you take something like metamucil sugar free or natural psillium husks in water or cold tea?
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    NinjaChinchillaNZ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and fixed it by adding in protein bars (not energy bars which are high calorie, high sugar). Don't know if you can get them where you are but I eat Horley's Carb Less protein bars. Good levels of protein and fibre, low carb, low calorie, and very low sugar.