Looking for a good protein powder

Options
Hey everyone

So I've been doing some research about protein powders. I know protein powder alone won't help me lose weight but I feel it may influence and help me reach my weight loss goal..

Any good ones out there that aren't "harmful" while doing my research I found out that Shakeology contains high amount of led and other protein powders out there and found out that some protein products state the following "This product contains a substance known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm" like Now Sports Whey Protein Isolate .. I seriously don't wanna take something that will do harm ESPECIALLY reproductive harm .. I mean I still wanna have kids but I am looking for something that will help me reach my goal and not harm my body ... Help?!?

I was leaning on buying Whey protein but I'm not sure if that will make me gain more weight than I'm already are because of Lexapro -_-

Replies

• btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I drink Dymatize whey protein. Very low in sugar. Honestly the 1st protein powder i found that i think tastes good.
  • Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Shakeology has lead in it? Where did you read that? We've done Shakeology since last August and love it. However, since it's so expensive, we've been trying to find something different. We really like Jay Robb Whey Protein and have recently been trying Vega One All-In-One shake. It's plant based and not as good tasting, but it seems to really be healthy with fruits and veggies included, like Shakeology. Once again, though, price seems pretty steep. :(
    5229779.png

• foiensoi
    foiensoi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use MyProtein in the UK.

Protein powders obviously have calories but are a useful way to hit your macros. I mix either vanilla whey or vanilla casein with Greek yoghurt for a high protein, low calorie yummy snack.

There's nothing magic about it except that you get the same grams of protein in a scoop of whey as you do in a portion of chicken, for about half the calories. It won't make you lose weight unless you're in a calorie deficit.
  • Quianakj
    Quianakj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use 310 nutrition and love it. Chocolate & Mocha are my favorite.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about Dymatize, but haven't tried it.

Currently using Royal Sport Ltd. and I like it.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I took the advice of the chap in this thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36439498#Comment_36439498
    ... and bought Reflex Nutrition Instant Whey PRO and had my first shake yesterday. I got the Vanilla Ice Cream and it tastes great (mixed with water). He's right about the stats, 20g Protein and 97kcal, which works for me. I'm not bulking up or anything, I'll be using it to makeup my protein macros.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You are right to be cautious about any of these protein drinks. Try the 100% natural version. It's called milk, it's cheap and good for you. If you've got something against fat -and you shouldn't, you need it to metabolise vitamins - buy buttermilk which is what whey protein actually is.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    foiensoi wrote: »
    I use MyProtein in the UK.

Protein powders obviously have calories but are a useful way to hit your macros. I mix either vanilla whey or vanilla casein with Greek yoghurt for a high protein, low calorie yummy snack.

MyProtein USA isn't terrible either. Their delivery is fast, the product seems good, and their isolates are very mix-able. I've yet to get any product from them that wasn't good (aside form the Rocky Road isolate, which tasted horrid). If that's not enough, they have sales all the time and currently have a 20% off running.

Obligatory Shilling: My referrer code is MP27954331 - is you use it I get points too. :)
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Dymatize Iso 100 has the best flavors, consistency and not a lot of 'junk' you don't need. Very yummy
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I like Quest, but it's a bit pricey. I've also tried Vega, which is ok if you want vegan protein but is a little less smooth than whey protein.

Also, according to Labdoor there is no lead in Shakeology: https://labdoor.com/review/shakeology

Labdoor is a great resource if you're curious about protein powders in general...they measure based on likely efficacy, accuracy of the label, cost, and purity.
  • stambau2
    stambau2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Vegan smart has worked out really well for me. They're tasty and filling and don't have whey. I've got a pretty yucky dairy intolerance though. Pretty reasonable on Amazon.
  • shaunam_32
    shaunam_32 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've discovered Premier Protein shakes, and EAS (both are pre-mixed). I just grab one from the fridge and I drink it on the way to work or something. I drink them primarily for the low carb factor. I believe the EAS comes in powder form as well. Also, I tried Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein. You can get that stuff on Amazon, cheaper than the vitamin stores. It has like 24grams of protein, and all the other amino acids, etc. I would still be drinking that, but it had a little higher carb content than the ones that I had, but the Milk Chocolate is pretty good... No weird aftertaste or anything like that.

I found the link for the Gold Standard Whey. Providing the link below, if anyone is interested in that.

Gold Standard Whey: http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_sc_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1465253195&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=optional+nutrition+gold+standart

• healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I second the Quest suggestion... Their peanut butter & banana cream flavors are soo yummy that I crave them. I just grabbed cookies n cream the other day but haven't tried it yet... I like that you can grab a few packets to try so you don't have to commit... I haven't bought a full container yet.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I use truenutrition.com because you can customize your protein and they have a vegan option. Very tasty
  • ammie34
    ammie34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Biotrust has great protein powders that are only 150 calories mixed with water. They taste great. Not chalky or that weird aspartame taste.
  • JudyKenova175
    JudyKenova175 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Biochem Vanilla, find @ Amazon.com or Vitamin World stores. All natural, 100% whey, gets very frothy in blender, very loe cal and hi protien....easily digested.
    I blend this with milk or water, frozen berries. No sugar needed, that's the best part!
  • strange29mfp
    strange29mfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Six star
    It's cheap and tastes good
  • glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone

So I've been doing some research about protein powders. I know protein powder alone won't help me lose weight but I feel it may influence and help me reach my weight loss goal..

Any good ones out there that aren't "harmful" while doing my research I found out that Shakeology contains high amount of led and other protein powders out there and found out that some protein products state the following "This product contains a substance known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm" like Now Sports Whey Protein Isolate .. I seriously don't wanna take something that will do harm ESPECIALLY reproductive harm .. I mean I still wanna have kids but I am looking for something that will help me reach my goal and not harm my body ... Help?!?

I was leaning on buying Whey protein but I'm not sure if that will make me gain more weight than I'm already are because of Lexapro -_-

JSYK, they have to put that on everything in the state of california because california thinks that everything causes cancer and everything else..

I use Fitmiss and love it.