My fault. No excuses.

No question here, just wanting to get this burden off my mind. And, admitting this here is a lot easier than confiding in coworkers or friends!! Ha!

I've put on weight. About 20 pounds since December. I'm still down a lot from where I started, but I am not to where I need to be. Totally my fault, there are no excuses or anyone else to blame. My workouts have been good, and I am still running, but I have not been as disciplined with my food choices as I have in the past. I'm not logging/weighing food as well as I should, drinking enough water, and staying within my calorie goal.

I can try looking at why it happened, but it will probably just be because I got lazy and complacent. I obviously can't do that, so I'm getting back to what helped me lose weight before. Back to being disciplined. Just reminding myself that "Motivation only gets you as far as the start, Dedication is what takes you to your goal".

Thanks for giving me the space to unburden myself!! :)

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Best of luck. Set the goal of bettering yourself everyday!
  • rainbowlady1
    rainbowlady1 Posts: 6 Member
    Don't beat yourself up take it one day at a time but remember to stay positive.
    Feel free to add me :-)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Recognising that you are gaining is half the battle, now to just do something about it again before you keeping adding more pounds?

Were you eating at too large a deficit? that can be the case and its hard to stick at that consistently over long periods.

How about you aim for 0.5-1lb loss a week? less of a deficit will mean you don't feel deprived.

Value yourself enough to nip this gain in the bud NOW - you're worth it :smile:

All the best.

Ruth
  • Audreyrunner
    Audreyrunner Posts: 9 Member
    OMG, I am in the EXACT same boat, 20 lbs gained since Dec but exercising. My problem is I log and am good up until dinner. Then I sit on the couch and snack. I wish I could chew gum so I won't snack but can't (clicky jaw that may require surgery).

I need a lock on my kitchen!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    OMG, I am in the EXACT same boat, 20 lbs gained since Dec but exercising. My problem is I log and am good up until dinner. Then I sit on the couch and snack. I wish I could chew gum so I won't snack but can't (clicky jaw that may require surgery).

I need a lock on my kitchen!

^^ this used to be me too, I found it took willpower not to eat after 7, any time I thought about snacking I'd drink a glass of water, a year on from forming this new habit and its stuck. I don't even think about eating now during the evening. Mind over matter :smile:
  • Audreyrunner
    Audreyrunner Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2016
    I will try that. My problem is I associate relaxing with food. I don't get a lot of time to relax (full time working mom and coach soccer and basketball), but when I do its amazing how I can quickly eat 500 calories!
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 350 Member
    Well said, OP, you will be successful because you are owning it. Hang in there!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    I will try that. My problem is I associate relaxing with food. I don't get a lot of time to relax (full time working mom and coach soccer and basketball), but when I do its amazing how I can quickly eat 500 calories!

keep some calories back for your evening snacking then? :smile: I think alot of us associate eating with relaxing, we have to re-train ourselves.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Helpful and relateable post! For me, exercising and maintaining weight but my goal is fat loss!! Just goes to show that the caloric deficit matters so very much. Thanks for sharing. You are not alone!
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Thanks for the replies! Feeling better already by being back on plan. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    love that quote btw.

What I have done is set limits for myself...I allow for maintenance range and when I get to the edge of it or slightly over due to holidays or vacation I hit it hard again.

Now mind you I continue to weigh my food 75% of the time...and working out consistently but realize that sometimes things happen and we all need a break.

Keep in mind my limit is 10lbs.

I got as high as 154 after Christmas, then vacation then business travel so getting back down to goal of 145.
  • amanda000002014
    amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member
    Getting on board. College, I had time to do exercise and make meals, but I used the excuse that I didn't have time, oh!!!! But I did have time for Dexter( dang you Dexter why do I have to love you and hate you at the same time?)