questions

Options
IStats:
Weight:11 St 2 lbs(however I am cutting this week and some off next,though only have little fat to lose so won't change that much)
Hight:6ft.
Body build: skinny tall.

I am currently cutting after my cut in a week give or take. I want to start bulking and building muscle mass with strength,any tips on how to get bigger when I am a tall skinny guy.

I walk often,do at least 3 hrs of football practice on my own or with friends. Go to the gym Monday to Friday for an hour doing a leg,push pull routine any answers appreciated thanks

Replies

• sueelaineparker
    sueelaineparker Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Eat at surplus ( calculate your TDEE on a website like iifym and add about 500 cal onto that figure.

Lift, I recommend about 3 times a week to give your body time to heal, I like strong lifts 5x5 it's a free program and because you have access to a gym you'll have all the equipment you need for it :)
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Eat at surplus ( calculate your TDEE on a website like iifym and add about 500 cal onto that figure.

Lift, I recommend about 3 times a week to give your body time to heal, I like strong lifts 5x5 it's a free program and because you have access to a gym you'll have all the equipment you need for it :)

Agreed.

Also, have you lifted before? Do you have experience with the big compound movements (squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press)? And what is your previous workout history / experience?

• chrriis971
    chrriis971 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Also, have you lifted before? Do you have experience with the big compound movements (squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press)? And what is your previous workout history / experience?
    I have being doing weights for around 6-7 months however only started going 5 times a week and properly trying around a month to a 2 ago. I always do compound movement. I was just wondering what I should do to get a bit bigger as I am fairly skinny
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    chrriis971 wrote: »

Agreed.

I have being doing weights for around 6-7 months however only started going 5 times a week and properly trying around a month to a 2 ago. I always do compound movement. I was just wondering what I should do to get a bit bigger as I am fairly skinny

This will be useful for you:
    Calculate your TDEE - this is how many calories to eat to MAINTAIN weight. Scientifically, 3500 calories = 1lb. So if we divide 3500 calories by 7 days of the week, you need to eat TDEE plus 500 calories to gain 1lb per week.

So that means you need to log and measure EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, and eat TDEE + 500 calories. I assume you are lifting during this time, as the caloric surplus will greatly aid in strength and muscle growth. I would not recommend going any more than that, as you can only build a certain amount of muscle and any excess will turn into fat.

i.e. I am a 27/male/5'7", gymming 4 days a week. I put in my stats and my TDEE comes out to 2300 calories. To bulk, I have to eat 2800 calories DAILY for +1lb per week. If I wanted to gain 10 lbs, that's roughly 3 months of bulking. If I wanted to lose weight, I'd cut and eat 1800 calories daily for -1lb per week.

Remember, consistency over intensity. Skinny people overestimate how much they eat (and overweight people underestimate). The scale and food tracking keeps us all honest. It's not how much you eat in 1 meal or 1 weekend, but what you do day-in-day-out.

Basically, your diet determines whether you gain or lose weight. So for you, calculate your TDEE on google, and eat TDEE+500 calories to gain 1lb per week (if you go higher than that, excess calories become fat instead of muscle - there is only so much muscle a human can naturally build). Your diet is now another full time job for the next 3 weeks, until you get the feel of it. That means weight, measure, and log everything you put in your mouth.

A caloric surplus plus lifting = serious strength and muscle gains. Be consistent and the gainzzz will come.
  • chrriis971
    chrriis971 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    chrriis971 wrote: »

Agreed.

This will be useful for you:
    Calculate your TDEE - this is how many calories to eat to MAINTAIN weight. Scientifically, 3500 calories = 1lb. So if we divide 3500 calories by 7 days of the week, you need to eat TDEE plus 500 calories to gain 1lb per week.

So that means you need to log and measure EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, and eat TDEE + 500 calories. I assume you are lifting during this time, as the caloric surplus will greatly aid in strength and muscle growth. I would not recommend going any more than that, as you can only build a certain amount of muscle and any excess will turn into fat.

i.e. I am a 27/male/5'7", gymming 4 days a week. I put in my stats and my TDEE comes out to 2300 calories. To bulk, I have to eat 2800 calories DAILY for +1lb per week. If I wanted to gain 10 lbs, that's roughly 3 months of bulking. If I wanted to lose weight, I'd cut and eat 1800 calories daily for -1lb per week.

Remember, consistency over intensity. Skinny people overestimate how much they eat (and overweight people underestimate). The scale and food tracking keeps us all honest. It's not how much you eat in 1 meal or 1 weekend, but what you do day-in-day-out.

Basically, your diet determines whether you gain or lose weight. So for you, calculate your TDEE on google, and eat TDEE+500 calories to gain 1lb per week (if you go higher than that, excess calories become fat instead of muscle - there is only so much muscle a human can naturally build). Your diet is now another full time job for the next 3 weeks, until you get the feel of it. That means weight, measure, and log everything you put in your mouth.

A caloric surplus plus lifting = serious strength and muscle gains. Be consistent and the gainzzz will come.
    Thank you so much,any recommendations for foods to eat