Stuck at current weight... Any suggestions?

Options
Hello fitness members. I've started my weight loss program top of May and have lost 10 lbs already. My goal is losing about 20 to 25 lbs. I'm strict on the calories and eat healthy meals everyday. My daily diaries are always in line to what the guidelines recommend. I also workout 5 to 6 days a week doing at least 1 hour on the elliptical daily along with strength training and weight lifting. Some days I'm burning around 1000 calories a day from workout and for the most part I pretty much will eat back exercise calories so my body doesn't go into starvation mode which I heard can have negative effects on weight loss. It seems like I'm doing the correct things as far as diet and exercise. I feel great and I am actually noticing definition building up within my muscles. It seemed quite quick and easy for me to lose the initial 10 pounds. However the last two and half weeks I seem to have hit a road block in weight loss. I'm stuck at my current weight but I'm still working out everyday and eating exactly to my specific calories and needs. Is this normal? I know the daily goal for exercise is about 400 calories to be burned but I'm burning between 700 to 1000 a day daily. Am I working out too much or too hard? I know weight loss takes time and everyone's metabolism is different but I was just curious if this has happened to other members. Someone said the first 10 lbs of weight loss are the easiest but that the next 10 will be harder to lose. Regardless, I know that with my daily exercise and healthy diet routine I am on the right path to getting back to a healthy state but just curious to see if I am doing anything wrong or if there's anything I can also do to help jumpstart the weight loss process. Any advice or suggestions please!!!!!

Replies

• NinaP2013
    NinaP2013 Posts: 30
    Options
    bump*
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    worry nabout inches and body fat lost.....muscle weighs more...would you like to lose 10 pounds, or 5 or 6 inches and 4 or 5 percent bodyfat which would be more dress sizes....people on this thing think about weight too much, that's the problem

any help you need let me know
    good luck!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hi i can't see your diary Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • maggieschuck
    maggieschuck Posts: 174
    Options
    Can you make your diary public so we can see what you are eating? Most likely you have it a plateau. You body has gotten used to your regular routine and doesn't want to budge. What kinds of exercising do you do?
  • djdelano
    djdelano Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi,

Not on your friend list so I can't see anything, but your weight loss seems pretty aggressive, and the results seem to be happening rapidly.

You are bound to find a few plateau points when your weight loss goals are that dramatic. 255 down to 180 is huge.

I weighed 250 at one point and have struggled with my weight ever since. I'm on a plan to go from 220-195 in a couple of months. When I was up there I plateau'd hard at 225 and couldnt get the meter moving.

SWITCH it UP. If you haven't changed your exercise plan around you should, I like to toss in a week of yoga and plyo metrics, here and there, (my main exercise is jogging). Climb a mountain, Go biking, use different muscles, you don't want your body acclimated to your current regimine.

Switch up your food, try green tea, and natural fruit juices

Sounds to me like you need to throw your body a curve ball.

Awesome results thus far though, keep it up! Meeting Goals feels Great!

-d
  • sent4rmabove23
    Options
    Well, I'm stuck at my weight as well. I'm thinking on going on a ketogenic diet this weekend (starting Saturday). When I did the Quick Weight Loss program 4 years ago, the first three days I was placed on a ketogenic diet where I consumed unlimited proteins and veggies. If I recall correctly, I am only allowed 2 eggs per day and 1 orange a day (1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm) for the headaches due to carb withdrawal. After the three days, I basically eat a low carb diet - my carb intake would consist of complex carbs - eg: brown rice, sweet potatoe, oatmeal... Last time, I did the ketogenic diet for 3 days, I lost 7 lbs. Its like a kick start to eating right... besides, I've been eating too much carbs lately - I feel sick to my stomach.
  • sent4rmabove23
    Options
    Well, I'm stuck at my weight as well. I'm thinking on going on a ketogenic diet this weekend (starting Saturday). When I did the Quick Weight Loss program 4 years ago, the first three days I was placed on a ketogenic diet where I consumed unlimited proteins and veggies. If I recall correctly, I am only allowed 2 eggs per day and 1 orange a day (1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm) for the headaches due to carb withdrawal. After the three days, I basically eat a low carb diet - my carb intake would consist of complex carbs - eg: brown rice, sweet potatoe, oatmeal... Last time, I did the ketogenic diet for 3 days, I lost 7 lbs. Its like a kick start to eating right... besides, I've been eating too much carbs lately - I feel sick to my stomach.

If you want I can email you copy of the 3 day plan, like I said - I don't really see it as a diet, just a kick start to weight loss and healthy eating.