Where do you start with a diy home weights programme?

Options
I broke my foot last August and am still having comlications that prevent me doing any standing / upright fitness activities i used to do pre accident. I am resigned to swimming, but it is becoming a chore, and am looking to dust off the x-hubby's weights in the cupboard.

But not knowing much about how and where to start, can anyone point me in the right direction? What exercises, what muscles should i aim to work and where can i find a 'library' so i can look up non-standing alternatives? What weight do you start at? How many reps?

... there is just so much to think about, where do you even start? Has anyone got any good routines or pointers

Thanks in advance

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    What kind of weights are they, and how high do they go?

Also, I'd strongly suggest speaking with a qualified physical therapist. You're very limited if you can't stand, and that's going to impact a ton of what you could do.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I agree about working with a PT, or at least an exceptionally knowledgeable personal trainer.

If you must DIY it, check this page on how to design a balanced workout:
    aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/

Most of the leg exercises there will be out. You're probably looking at resistance band exercises using an ankle attachment, like leg extensions, adductors, abductors, etc. Bodylastics makes and a good band set. You can also do glute-ham raises and back extensions on a bench.

Start with a full-body workout every 2-3 days. :+1:
  • cupboard_stalking
    cupboard_stalking Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Dumbells that you can add to. Lowest weight is 0.5kg (two rings of those and three plates of 1.5kg)

I am having Physio and do the exercises they give me, and their advice is that i am not going to damage it further, but cannot weight bear through the ball of my foot at all due to pain... kind of limits EVERYTHING! It's been 9 months, just want to stop wasting away.

Any websites?
  • cupboard_stalking
    cupboard_stalking Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks cherimoose
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I am having Physio and do the exercises they give me, and their advice is that i am not going to damage it further, but cannot weight bear through the ball of my foot at all due to pain...

Oh, just the ball of the foot. You might be able to do a modified squat, where you take a piece of wood that's 3-4 cm tall and rest the middle of your feet on the edge of the wood, with heels on the ground. I tried it and felt no pressure on the balls of the feet. It might be easiest to balance doing a 2-dumbbell squat, but you can experiment with a wide-stance squat and front squat too.

You can also use the wood to try romanian deadlifts and bulgarian split squats. Check youtube for tutorials.

Keep us posted how it goes.. :+1:
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Please check with your foot surgeon and your physical therapist as far as what kind of exercises you can do. Don't rely on Google or YouTube for advice on exercise while healing. Dr. Google has no idea what they're talking about.