Should I watch Game of Thrones at the gym?

Options
So despite starting a new progressive lifting program a few months ago (and loving it), I still torture myself with 3 days of cardio/week to help drop some excess pounds, and for overall health. I usually do 30 minutes of steady-state cardio on elliptical or treadmill, then 15 minutes of tabata/HIIT.
Anyway, I get really bored during my 30 minutes of cardio. I’m bored with pretty much all the music in my playlist, and I’m bored with podcasts. But then I thought – I love Game of Thrones, and I’ve been meaning to re-watch the first 4 seasons, so maybe I can do that on my tablet during my running or elliptical.

The problem, for anyone who’s seen GoT, is that it’s graphic. Super graphic. Super, extra, awesomely, graphic. Would it make me a jerk to watch it in a gym full of people, who may look over at any moment and see a naked woman, or naked man, or many naked people, or a castration, or murder, or extra-gruesome murder? You get the point. If someone complained, do you think I could get in trouble?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You want to watch people having sex while you're barely able to breathe from your treadmill HIIT?
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So...I'm no prude, and I love the show and the books, but I would probably take issue with it being somewhere that others (who maybe don't want to watch it) could see it. I go to the Y, and you would probably be asked to leave...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your gym has HBO?

I love GOT but I doubt you'd be able to convince a gym to show it as it's not exactly PG-13.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Your gym has HBO?

I love GOT but I doubt you'd be able to convince a gym to show it as it's not exactly PG-13.

No, I'd be watching it on my Kindle Fire. So no one else would see it unless they were working out right next to me and looked over.
  • CamG13
    CamG13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have watched GoT at my gym on the elliptical.... When it got super naked I just shielded it a little with my hand and then I thought, whatever. We are all adults up here. It's not like it's Xrated.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I assume it's a gym full of adults. It's a tablet, so hard to see what's on the screen unless someone is really trying to look. Go for it. And if someone looks and sees something he or she didn't want to, that person will never look over your shoulder again.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i would and like @camg13 said shield the screen at some parts.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your gym has HBO?

No, I'd be watching it on my Kindle Fire. So no one else would see it unless they were working out right next to me and looked over.

In that case go for it.......if some snoop gets offended suggest they mind their own business.
  • Pollart77
    Pollart77 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I watch Son's on my phone at the Gym. That 30 minutes flies by!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    You could always try to hunt down a privacy screen protector (which would prevent someone who saw the screen at an angle from reading it). Or just accept that someone might do a triple take and move on.

I once watched True Blood on a plane, and didn't think how awkward it would be until a super graphic sex scene came on...
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I watched Orange is the New Black at the gym with no issue. It actually pushed me to stay on the elliptical for an hour instead of 30 minutes because I didn't want to stop halfway through an episode!
  • jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    So despite starting a new progressive lifting program a few months ago (and loving it), I still torture myself with 3 days of cardio/week to help drop some excess pounds, and for overall health. I usually do 30 minutes of steady-state cardio on elliptical or treadmill, then 15 minutes of tabata/HIIT.
    Anyway, I get really bored during my 30 minutes of cardio. I’m bored with pretty much all the music in my playlist, and I’m bored with podcasts. But then I thought – I love Game of Thrones, and I’ve been meaning to re-watch the first 4 seasons, so maybe I can do that on my tablet during my running or elliptical.

The problem, for anyone who’s seen GoT, is that it’s graphic. Super graphic. Super, extra, awesomely, graphic. Would it make me a jerk to watch it in a gym full of people, who may look over at any moment and see a naked woman, or naked man, or many naked people, or a castration, or murder, or extra-gruesome murder? You get the point. If someone complained, do you think I could get in trouble?

I don't know about GoT but damm woman, gotta love those Reese's in the pic! lol
  • mandamoxie
    mandamoxie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would say go for it. I watch shows on my phone while doing my cardio all the time. While there are some graphic things in Game of Thrones, your device isn't big enough that others nearby would be able to see much. The only way someone would see what you're watching is if they passed by you, or were purposefully looking over at it. It's not like it's a huge, obtrusive TV that will be in their field of vision whether they want it to be or not. As long as you're wearing headphones, I don't see why anyone would have reason to complain.

However, if you attend a YMCA or some other family-oriented gym, you might want to reconsider. I feel like you're more likely to get complaints of parents are there with their kids. But I feel like more often than not most other gyms tend to be kid-free, so I think you'll be fine.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    You want to watch people having sex while you're barely able to breathe from your treadmill HIIT?

You say that like it's a bad thing?

All joking aside, I don't mean it judgmentally at all. If you were next to me at the gym and I looked over to see a torture or sex scene, it wouldn't bother me. (Well, maybe the incest is a little gross.) What I was getting at is if you're doing HIIT you won't be able to concentrate on the plot lines because of all the exertion.

Also do you really want to watch it on such a small screen?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to do it. GoT is something that I really want to pay attention to, so I need to be at home where there are minimum distractions. There are too many plot twists on GoT for me to feel like I would really be able to understand what was happening in a gym setting.
  • jonthemusse
    jonthemusse Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What about the peeps still waiting to find the time to catch up? It only takes an accidental glimpse to see who got wasted. Especially now when they're starting to deviate from the god awful last books.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

You say that like it's a bad thing?

All joking aside, I don't mean it judgmentally at all. If you were next to me at the gym and I looked over to see a torture or sex scene, it wouldn't bother me. (Well, maybe the incest is a little gross.) What I was getting at is if you're doing HIIT you won't be able to concentrate on the plot lines because of all the exertion.

Also do you really want to watch it on such a small screen?

I would only do it during my 30-minute steady state cardio on the machines. HIIT is usually box jumps, battle ropes, etc, so I defi nitely can't watch a show during that ;)
    And I'm already caught up (and read the books) but I want to rewatch the beginning because it's been awhile and I forget what happened in earlier seasons. Like, where the heck is Gendry?!?!? Lol
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Well you should watch it then. Maybe you'll offend someone, you're probably just as likely to make some new friends. A lot of people love Game of Thrones.

My girlfriend ("she who must be obeyed") got me started on it last fall. We haven't seen any of the new ones yet, she wants to wait until they're all out and then see one a night.