Binge eating- HELP!

Options
In the past I have struggled with binge eating. At the start of my weight loss I was so motivated and determined that I somewhat "forgot" (or should I say less compelled) to binge. Now however, I'm close to my goal weight but I have noticed the returning urge to stuff my face all the time. I don't know why, but recently I'm hungry all the time and nothing I eat seems to satisfy this raging hunger! Does anybody have any tips on how to get a grip?!

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    When I feel that coming on, I find something to be busy with. Start cleaning, go for a walk/run, take a shower, anything. I also some times just go look in the mirror and it helps me get out of my head a little.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie deficit now that you are close to your goal weight? Have you adjusted it at all?
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I feel that coming on, I find something to be busy with. Start cleaning, go for a walk/run, take a shower, anything. I also some times just go look in the mirror and it helps me get out of my head a little.

This.

Usually, I put away the snack/junk food (out of sight, hopefully, out of mind), and go for a long walk or start cleaning or doing chores.

However, if I find my willpower waning, I will try to eat low calorie items like plain popcorn, veggies, or Watermelon. Things that won't put too big a dent in my calorie deficit for the week.

If you do slip, all you can do is try to get back on track the next day. Don't beat yourself up too much. That only feeds the vicious cycle: overeat - feel guilty - and overeat again.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie deficit now that you are close to your goal weight? Have you adjusted it at all?

This. Don't set your diary to lose 2 pounds a week if you only have 5 pounds to lose.
  • nursecasg
    nursecasg Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used to do that right before weigh in's when I was on weight watchers. The urge was overwhelming the night before. One thing I did was eat something small. When I was determined I was going to keep going, I ate something healthy. So on and so on until the feeling passed. It did. The best I could do was damage control : (
  • adawn1981
    adawn1981 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm currently struggling with bingeing. I was 3 pounds from my goal weight 3 months ago and have binged 11 pounds back on. I need help! Maybe an accountability partner or something. It's hard :/
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    adawn1981 wrote: »
    I'm currently struggling with bingeing. I was 3 pounds from my goal weight 3 months ago and have binged 11 pounds back on. I need help! Maybe an accountability partner or something. It's hard :/

Hey I used to be a binge eater myself for years. I am more than happy to be an accountability partner for you! Support is the best medicine to beat this:)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Smaller deficit if you're so hungry. Is your period due? I'm always hungry the week before and yeah, that's always when I end up binging.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

This. If you're close to goal your deficit should be smaller. It will help with feeling so hungry and deprived.

There's also some suggestion that doing a controlled "refeed" day could help boost leptin levels which might also help with the hunger. The body can get crazy hungry if it's been in a deficit for a long time. I've never done a refeed so I would google for specifics.