Fish Oil

Options
I had a call today from my dr nurse and she told me that my cholesterol was low. my dr wants me to get fish oil gel pills to help me. Kinda new on this fish oil does anyone know what it does?

Replies

• Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My grandmother used to swear by something called Haliborange, a small pill containing VitaminC and fish oils. They are a useful supplement. Are you dieting very aggressively? It may be you need to check the macros to check that your diet is balanced.
    Fish oils from oily fish like tuna, mackerel and wild (but not farmed) salmon are considered to be good for you. You can take them in pill form or eat more fish.
    Though don't start eating too much fat. I think I read that the body makes its own cholesterol, the cholesterol you eat tends to get metabolised and sent to adipose tissue.
  • Sapphirebabe1962
    Sapphirebabe1962 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    yes i am dieting my dr has put me on 1000 calorie a day deal i been sticking with it i have lost 12lbs already. but he wants to get fish oil gel pill.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Fish oil refers to two types of omega 3 fatty acids - EPA and DHA which are typically found in fish. Fish oil has a huge range of impacts and is almost always beneficial due to the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids which is ideally 1:1 but in the West is often at least 1:6 if not much worse. Improving this ratio by taking fish oil has impact on a wide range of things from reducing inflammation in general, improve depression, reducing blood pressure, increasing HDL cholesterol, lowering cortisol the stress hormone, reducing anxiety, reducing fatty liver deposits, increasing a sense of well being and more. If you want to read a good break down on exactly what fish oil is, how it works, what it can do, and a summary of a lot of the research on its effects, this is a fantastic resource examine.com/supplements/Fish+Oil/

From personal experience, my fat loss improved, my stress went down, my sleep improved, and I get less swelling after aikido practice. My wife managed to eliminate the early symptoms of IBD by taking 6g a day and had all signs of colon inflammation vanish from one scan to another as well as no incidence of events.

Also I would strongly suggest taking it as a spoonful of oil instead of capsules. The standard dose is 1g a day and the oil is cheaper per dose, usually better quality, and if you go with Carlson's doesn't taste of oil. Lemon or orange flavoured.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ive been advised to use fish oil pills as well. thanks for this post. I read that you need to open one and smell it to see if it's 'fishy smelling' because they can go bad. Just an FYI.
  • Sapphirebabe1962
    Options
    Went to walmart this morning and got spring valley fish oil 1000mg with 300mg omega-3. whew didnt know they would smell like fish lol.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I was advised to only get higher quality brands (Like Nordic Naturals or Carlson's), otherwise they will smell and you will have fish burps. I actually just bought some Carlson's for the first time yesterday from a health food store and so far there is no smell and just a light lemony after taste.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Keeping the gel caps in the fridge helps with the fish oil burps. I take mine with lunch at work with my prenatal, so its in the fridge. Once I started this, I stopped having fish burps on work days.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The fish oil capsule gives you a high dose of Omega-3 fatty acids. You can also get that from salmon and sardines. The fish oil capsule is 10 calories. The Omega-3 fatty acids help get your cholesterol in the direction your Dr. wants. Burps be disregarded. Get your Omega-3.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    DeanaErnst wrote: »
    Went to walmart this morning and got spring valley fish oil 1000mg with 300mg omega-3. whew didnt know they would smell like fish lol.

Looks for pills labeled enteric coating or 'burpless'. They have a coating that doesn't break down until it hits the intestine so you don't taste the fish oil.
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You can also get Omega-3 seed oil capsuals - these are great because they mean no fishy burps but all the omegas!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I take krill every day. its wonderful
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What are fish burps? I've been taking fish oil pills for years, both generic and prescription and I've never had them.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    What are fish burps? I've been taking fish oil pills for years, both generic and prescription and I've never had them.

Literally burping up fish taste/smell after taking the pills. This is my first experience taking them and there is a pleasant lemony taste/smell if I burp after taking them. They put natural lemon taste in them for that reason.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    DeanaErnst wrote: »
    I had a call today from my dr nurse and she told me that my cholesterol was low. my dr wants me to get fish oil gel pills to help me. Kinda new on this fish oil does anyone know what it does?
    According to science, not a whole lot:

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/benefits-of-omega-3-fish-oil-somethings-fishy/
  • jonthemusse
    jonthemusse Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to avoid fish burps is to get the oil (I only use cod liver oil) unflavored and in a bottle. It's cheaper and tend to be better quality oil for lack of tricks to mask rancidity. It also feels more healthy because of the disgust factor. Placebo+

Just like unsalted butter is better quality to salted.
  • Sapphirebabe1962
    Options
    Thats interesting didnt know you could put the fish oil gel cap in the fridge
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    We take NatureMade burpless fish oil, 2 at a time... No issues. Love fish oil, I can totally tell in my nails when I get slack so always go back to them.
  • Sapphirebabe1962
    Options
    we have a health store in our town i thinking about checking out see what they have. what is the easiest workout to do
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Something like water areobics would be lower impact, perhaps a recumbent bike.

Walking is good if it doesn't bother your knees.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You should probably get a different brand next time. Barleans or Carlson's or something of the sort. The Barleans is a little less expensive and is not fishy.