Breakfasts that can last me from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM?

Options
So, I'm volunteering at a day shelter this summer. We don't get a lunch break, so if we want to eat we have to eat the food served in the shelter. I did try it, but the food is terrible, is loaded in calories, and makes me kind of sick (it's very creamy and rich). So, I need to find breakfasts that I can have that'll last me from early in the morning before I leave for work until 5 pm, when I come home.

I have found that I can sneak a quick snack when things are busy, so I usually take a slice of bread and peanut butter and stash it in my purse. So I'm not starving entirely during the day, but a filling breakfast is still important. I'm on a 1500 calorie limit btw.

Replies

• kirayng2
    kirayng2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    a cup of oatmeal with lots of fruit like berries, peaches with either protein powder mixed in or 3-4 egg whites on the side (or in it, you can't taste them). Lasts me 6-7 hours with a small snack after like a protein bar (make sure it has at least 3 grams of fiber) and piece of fruit, esp. banana. I am a chef so I have to eat a really good breakfast because I don't eat again until I get home at midnight! Also you can add chia or flax meal to the oatmeal for even more fiber but start slowly with that because you don't want to get bloated!
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    Why cant you take food with you while you are working? Can you not eat your own food when the others are eating lunch. Why are you volunteering somewhere that sounds like a prison and you can't eat for 10 hours?

I can eat the food. I'm the one choosing not to eat it. They're a shelter, they don't have the facilities to cater to everyone, and since we're volunteering there aren't any official breaks. If there's a lull I get my purse from the closet and cram a pb sandwich. And no, I can't eat my own food. It's sort of a requirement of the shelter that you eat what's being served. So I sneak my food.
  • malavika413
    Options
    Did you know if it was a job it would be illegal not to give you a small lunch break, even if you choose not to eat their food?
    Check out the laws. Every state is slightly different.
    Do your parents know about this?

It's not a job though, just a volunteer internship. I realize that a paid position requires a thirty minute lunch break, but I'm not being paid.
  • malavika413
    Options
    kirayng2 wrote: »
    a cup of oatmeal with lots of fruit like berries, peaches with either protein powder mixed in or 3-4 egg whites on the side (or in it, you can't taste them). Lasts me 6-7 hours with a small snack after like a protein bar (make sure it has at least 3 grams of fiber) and piece of fruit, esp. banana. I am a chef so I have to eat a really good breakfast because I don't eat again until I get home at midnight! Also you can add chia or flax meal to the oatmeal for even more fiber but start slowly with that because you don't want to get bloated!

Thanks, I've considered trying overnight oats and things to that effect. I'm just so used to small meals/snacks that I tend to get bloated/uncomfortable.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Today had a wrap (60 cal) with 1 egg over easy and 3 slices Canadian Bacon. Full for awhile.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I would bring more snacks and keep sneaking them.

Actually, I would volunteer somewhere else because that sounds awful.

• kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't think a breakfast like that exists but I would also bring lots of small things that can be eaten quickly like string cheese, Lara bars, nuts, cut up fruit... and eat it during the day
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So, I'm volunteering at a day shelter this summer. We don't get a lunch break, so if we want to eat we have to eat the food served in the shelter. I did try it, but the food is terrible, is loaded in calories, and makes me kind of sick (it's very creamy and rich). So, I need to find breakfasts that I can have that'll last me from early in the morning before I leave for work until 5 pm, when I come home.

I have found that I can sneak a quick snack when things are busy, so I usually take a slice of bread and peanut butter and stash it in my purse. So I'm not starving entirely during the day, but a filling breakfast is still important. I'm on a 1500 calorie limit btw.

Protein, fats and fiber are filling. If it were me I'd probably have 500-600 calories for breakfast, 100-200 calorie snack, 500-600 calorie dinner and a small night time snack. Look at some calorie dense foods and try pre-logging your day. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

Breakfast- meat, cheese, whole eggs, banana, peanut butter, oatmeal, whole milk, bagel, butter, fruit, potato, granola, muffins, hummus, oatmeal, beans, lentils
    Lunch snack- fruit, nuts, trail mix, jerky, milk, vegetables, granola bar, crackers with peanut butter, bagel
    Dinner- meat, cheese, pasta, rice, potatoes, broccoli, eggs, etc
    evening snack- popcorn, fruit, veggies and hummus, cottage cheese, yogurt, muffins, etc

I don't think skipping lunch or eating very lightly is any worse than someone skipping breakfast or eating a light dinner. You can make it work.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd go with eggs and beans (250 calories) with some oats with nuts (300 calories), a Greek yogurt (100 calories), and fruit (80 calories).

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Tell them you have a medical condition which requires that you eat your own meals fro home. If that doesn't work, stick a protein bar in your pocket. One that is a little higher in protein and calories than others. This will at least give you an extra boost mid day.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Tell them you have a medical condition which requires that you eat your own meals fro home. If that doesn't work, stick a protein bar in your pocket. One that is a little higher in protein and calories than others. This will at least give you an extra boost mid day.

^^This. I'm personally a fan of Oh Yeah One protein bars. I can eat one before I go the gym Saturday mornings, and they'll usually last a few hours for me. They're about 210-220 calories each. It would something quick and easy to eat as a "lunch", too, if you don't have other options.
    You could always check out some of the Ramadan threads in the Weight Loss forums section and see if there are any good suggestions for a substantial first meal of the day.
    Omelets, loaded with vegetables, usually last me awhile in the mornings as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Did you know if it was a job it would be illegal not to give you a small lunch break, even if you choose not to eat their food?
    I believe it's volunteer work she's doing, so there is no set lunch hour.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If I eat breakfast at all I have an omelet with cheese and avocado (500ish cal) at 5:30 am, then don't eat lunch until 2pm, so that might be a good one to try.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Protein, fats and fiber are filling. If it were me I'd probably have 500-600 calories for breakfast, 100-200 calorie snack, 500-600 calorie dinner and a small night time snack. Look at some calorie dense foods and try pre-logging your day. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

Breakfast- meat, cheese, whole eggs, banana, peanut butter, oatmeal, whole milk, bagel, butter, fruit, potato, granola, muffins, hummus, oatmeal, beans, lentils
    Lunch snack- fruit, nuts, trail mix, jerky, milk, vegetables, granola bar, crackers with peanut butter, bagel
    Dinner- meat, cheese, pasta, rice, potatoes, broccoli, eggs, etc
    evening snack- popcorn, fruit, veggies and hummus, cottage cheese, yogurt, muffins, etc

I don't think skipping lunch or eating very lightly is any worse than someone skipping breakfast or eating a light dinner. You can make it work.

This but would also add in protein bars, something dense like a Quest bar or flapjack really fills me up.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

It's not a job though, just a volunteer internship. I realize that a paid position requires a thirty minute lunch break, but I'm not being paid.

If you're not being paid what are they going to do to you if you eat your own food instead of theirs? They don't sound like a very nice charity if volunteers can't even eat what or when they want. Do they even allow you go to go the toilet? If so eat something then while they think you're using the loo.