Plantar fasciitis - Tenex Procedure?

Options
2»

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You've addressed the issue as much as possible with respect to your workouts, but do you wear high heels often? Are you making sure that your every day shoes aren't contributing to the issue?
  • itsalifestylenotadiet
    itsalifestylenotadiet Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I can only get the PRP once every 4 months and i've only had one injection but time will def. tell if it will actually heal it. Good luck.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of the same stuff for my PF as you have done, except buy the expensive orthotics. Instead, I bought a couple of pairs of shoes that I found on Footsmart that had high arch support. Orthaheel flip flops have high arch support and feel really good. Wore nothing but orthaheel tennis shoes and orthaheel flip flops for a couple years (otherwise used their insoles) and my feet are now in great shape. Your results may vary, of course, but they worked for me, and I was pretty much crippled with my PF. You need to do a LOT of stretching of your calves and achilles every day, and manipulate the plantar fascia with your hands every morning. Best to you.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida and love my ortho-heel flip flops. With that said, I've got custom orthotics, so I wear them with my new running shoes (that I walk in) and switch them into my Hoka running shoes (lots of cushion) for the back half of the day. I work from home if I'm not in an airport. If I travel - see clients, I do wear high heels and then change immediately into 'reasonable' shoes (running shoes or earlier in the year, my Dansko clogs). I'm probably in heels no more than 4-5 hours...and I'm not 'on' my feet that entire time (i.e. sitting).
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    jaxCarrie wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    What do you think caused the PF?

Do you have flat or high arches?

Have any of the treatments you've tried helped? (stretching, rolling, etc).

normal arches. See above for what I've done:

I was asking which of the treatments, if any, made a definite improvement.. or if you're not sure.

• laceyn18
    laceyn18 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had it for about a year and recently it seems to be fading away. The only thing that really helped me was a good deep tissue massage. By good I mean quite painful! That would ease the pain for a few weeks so I started getting more regular massages. Fingers crossed but the last month or so it's almost non existent.
  • itsalifestylenotadiet
    itsalifestylenotadiet Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have to apologize, I didn't see in your original post where you mentioned the PRP. Forgive me :blush:
  • Triathlete1502
    Triathlete1502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Commiserations on your plantar fasciitis; it must be quite frustrating to refrain from running.

Are you a heel striker or over pronater?

I've come across some interesting articles about the relationship between your foot strike and plantar fasciitis and below is one of them:

http://runforefoot.com/can-forefoot-running-cause-plantar-fasciitis/

All the best and to a speedy recovery!
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I suffered from PF for the longest time... until I got WalkFit Platinum Orthotic inserts. In short order my painful, chronic condition was cured. They come as a set that you can experiment with to see which exact height you need to give you relief. I wore them in my shoes for about a year... Now I no longer need to wear them.

See for example

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BKTS8G/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=74341569083&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1497317876690908630&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_501qwcnxw2_b
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I suffered with PF for several months in one foot then developed it in the other as well. I did all the stretching, icing, massage and tried acupuncture. Nothing worked for very long. I finally resorted to cortisone injections. One in each foot then 4 months later one more in each foot. I have not had a twinge in more than two years.
    I still do not go barefoot. I even wear slippers with arch support. My favorite shoes are Merrill and Birkenstock. Running shoes are Brooks. I too never wear the same shoes two days in a row.
    Good luck, I hope you find relief that works for you.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I suffered with chronic PF for about 6 years! NOTHING worked (1 year of PT, custom orthotics, night splint, 6 cortisone shots, stretching, ice, rest, etc.)! I did all the other interventions before opting for surgery, but I was unable to walk normally due to the pain in my foot. I've never heard of Tenex procedure, but I had the PF release surgery 2 years ago. The pain was gone immediately. The recovery was exactly what you've been told. I was in a walking boot full weight for 2 weeks and then in my regular tennis shoes for 4 weeks after that. I was able to pick up with activity shortly after that mainly running and basketball. It's hard for me to give you a full report because I ruptured my achilles while playing basketball in the other leg about 7 months after the PF release. I felt like I wasn't 100% yet with the strength at that time. I guess that means that I was back to activity pretty strong before that injury, but I've had no PF pain since the procedure.
  • cherrikim
    cherrikim Posts: 57 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Its been about 8 months for me with PF. I'm just starting to feel relief after 2 cortisone shots, daily stretching, massages, & using the yoga strap. The frozen water bottle didn't help much so I switched to using a tennis ball with much success. The doc told me no flat shoes or slippers, he said to wear wedges at work, & for driving or in the house wear my sneakers with the custom Orthotics. Absolutely no walking, elliptical, treadmill or aerobics for about 4 months. I was allowed to only ride my bike, use hand weights, floor exercises & clean eating. Believe it or not I still lost 35 lbs.
  • JonP1332
    JonP1332 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had PF for several years. Someone recommended tart cherry concentrate and a strict diet of chicken. No bread or red meats. After about 2 weeks it just went away! I eat regularly again and it hasn't come back :)
  • jaxCarrie
    Options
    jaxCarrie wrote: »
    What do you think caused the PF?

Do you have flat or high arches?

Have any of the treatments you've tried helped? (stretching, rolling, etc).

normal arches. See above for what I've done:

I was asking which of the treatments, if any, made a definite improvement.. or if you're not sure.

Nah, nothing I'm doing right now is giving me any relief. Other than the cortisone. But my doctor(s) - both the Orthopedist and the Ortho surgeon do not recommend multiple cortisone shots since it can breakdown the fatty pad in your heel and cause constant pain. My gait analysis (which was recommended when this first came to light) showed that I am fairly balanced in your stride and that I'm a mid-foot striker....so I'm not pounding on my heel constantly when I was running.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Did they rule out heel pad syndrome? Similar symptoms as PF, but it's more common with ultrarunners.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    The shock wave therapy was a single session. I can't recall the exact amount of time it took me to heal, but I think it was 3-4 months.
    Everyone has givenyou great suggestions for ways toalleviate the pain, so I will just add that the reason why my fascia tore was because of a cortisone shot I had gotten in my foot. Turns out a tear happens to a small percentage of people, and I was one of them.
  • jaxCarrie
    Options
    Did they rule out heel pad syndrome? Similar symptoms as PF, but it's more common with ultrarunners.

They did not! I am googling it now. I've done some long long runs....50 mile +...but that's been over 2 years ago.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Never heard of the Tenex procedure. Nearly every instance of PF I have overcome was chronic, with months long recovery. It sounds with the orthotics, night boot, and icing you are doing all you can to prevent aggravating your condition.

Yep patience and tlc.