Using more baking powder to lose weight idea?

Options
My mom made pancakes today and accidentally used too much baking powder. The pancakes turned out to be 2x fluffier than usual and I felt satisfied eating half of what I usually do. I was curious for those who are losing weight if this might be a good trick? If you want to bake something sweet as a treat and use more baking powder, you could have more volume to the treat for the same amount of calories, and it could satisfy you quicker!

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Um I am no expert, but I highly doubt it. But it's a good thought. But whatever works for you :smile: just keep up with your weighing and logging foods
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    and/or also eat on a smaller plate to trick the brain into thinking there's more food on the plate.

The eyes, nose and tongue are all a natural part of the "satisfaction" feeling we get when we eat. There is a feeling of accomplishment/satisfaction from seeing a full plate of food gradually become empty.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    That sounds gross.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The visual works for people. Egg whites can also make things fluffier.
  • brrrrito
    brrrrito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i think baking powder is really high in sodium so i'm not sure that would work very well
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    In this case the volume (because it is additional air) is irrelevant once you've chewed, swallowed, and it's in your stomach. So, by eating half you're getting half the calories and (in my case) this would mean that I'd be hungrier sooner than otherwise.

But hey, if it works for you - go for it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I am going to add baking powder to everything to reap the fat burning, spot reducing effects!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    brrrrito wrote: »
    i think baking powder is really high in sodium so i'm not sure that would work very well

This was my first thought.

Also, how did they taste? I'm not sure I'd like salty pancakes, though I guess they couldn't have been too bad if you're asking.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It may be a way to help you eat less, but in the end, it all comes down to how many calories you are consuming. To lose weight you must take in fewer calories than your body burns through the day. Tracking calories is often the simplest way to ensure this.

I've found that, when I want something as a sweet treat, I am most satisfied by having a quality item (for example, a fresh bakery donut rather than the cheap bagged ones, or good quality dark chocolate instead of a Hershey's bar). Log it and make room around it in your day, or at least in your week. I suspect that, for most things, extra baking powder might dilute the taste and end up making it less satisfying (but I've never really tried it!) Still, if it works for you, I don't see any problem, as long as you are still having your baked treats in moderation.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like whipping my egg whites to make a fluffier product. More volume for the same calories. I've done this with omelets and with muffins. It would also work for a fluffier pancake.

To really kill the calories in pancakes and muffins, reduce the fat and sugar. For pancakes for instance, we have them with yogurt and defrosted strawberries; no added sugar. For muffins, I reduce the fat to about a tablespoon and replace the rest of the fat with apple sauce. Whip the egg whites and fold it in for a fluffy low fat muffin.
  • smacznaherbata
    smacznaherbata Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    brrrrito wrote: »

This was my first thought.

Also, how did they taste? I'm not sure I'd like salty pancakes, though I guess they couldn't have been too bad if you're asking.

They actually didn't have a noticeable difference in taste, only looks. It was less than a tablespoon extra I think she said? I think like some people said, the visual made a difference. I like the egg white ideas too!
  • smacznaherbata
    smacznaherbata Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    They were blueberry pancakes, so the blueberries could have masked any taste differences there might have been.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Those of you thinking this would add lots of sodium--you're likely thinking of baking soda, not baking powder. They are two separate things entirely. Baking soda has much more sodium than baking powder.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    both do have sodium and cause a bit of bloat, hence, the fuller feeling.

Its harmless. :)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Baking powder for a visual effect fluff is not a bad idea. However excess baking powder can cause nice bakes taste very bitter and even nasty. For me that would be a complete spoiler, the only way I know how to mask that too much baking powder flavour is using sugar, which sort of defeats the purpose for me