Fiber Supplements

Options
clrrrr
clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
I had been taking a fiber supplement (Benefiber tablets, 3 tablets 1-3 times a day) at school to help my system cope with the dining hall food. Now that I'm home and I'm on a pretty well-enforced diet higher in protein and fiber and lower in fat, I don't feel the need to pay to have extra fiber in my diet if I'm already consistently over the daily recommended level on MFP. I stopped taking the supplement a couple of weeks ago, and it hasn't affected the way I feel--my new diet and exercise regime more than compensates, and I actually feel better than ever. However, I haven't been losing much weight (I'm 5'5", SW 150ish, current weight fluctuates between 146 and 148--has been for at least two weeks--and I've been doing MFP/clean diet/almost daily exercise for about a month), and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced weight gain or inability to lose after going off of a fiber supplement. Each dosage of the supplement has 15 calories.

Replies

• HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    I like to eat them naturally.. green leafy veggies (i'm in love with green giant brussel sprouts lately which is odd).. quaker extra fiber oatmeal for breakfast.
  • clrrrr
    Options
    I totally agree! I'm obsessed with arugula, spinach, Nature's Path Optimum Slim cereal, oatmeal, Orowheat Health Full, etc. I'm just worried that the supplements set some kind of baseline and now I need them to keep my body working hard. Or something. I think I'm just fishing for reasons why I'm not losing.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Well, MFP has the fiber recommendation set pretty low (just my opinion). My dr told me that women should be over 45 daily, and when protein is increased fiber should be increased.

I take Renew Life Organic Triple Fiber and like it......
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    MFP does have the fiber set a bit low. The absolute minimum for women is 25 grams a day and it's higher for men. I wish I could get 40+ grams a day. I am Gluten Free so I don't get as much whole grain as a lot of people. I supplement with fiber 2-3 times a day to stay close to 30 grams.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    I totally agree! I'm obsessed with arugula, spinach, Nature's Path Optimum Slim cereal, oatmeal, Orowheat Health Full, etc. I'm just worried that the supplements set some kind of baseline and now I need them to keep my body working hard. Or something. I think I'm just fishing for reasons why I'm not losing.

Ohhhh Arugula (insert Homer Simpson donut drooling noise)!!
  • biznurse
    biznurse Posts: 81
    Options
    I had been taking a fiber supplement (Benefiber tablets, 3 tablets 1-3 times a day) at school to help my system cope with the dining hall food. Now that I'm home and I'm on a pretty well-enforced diet higher in protein and fiber and lower in fat, I don't feel the need to pay to have extra fiber in my diet if I'm already consistently over the daily recommended level on MFP. I stopped taking the supplement a couple of weeks ago, and it hasn't affected the way I feel--my new diet and exercise regime more than compensates, and I actually feel better than ever. However, I haven't been losing much weight (I'm 5'5", SW 150ish, current weight fluctuates between 146 and 148--has been for at least two weeks--and I've been doing MFP/clean diet/almost daily exercise for about a month), and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced weight gain or inability to lose after going off of a fiber supplement. Each dosage of the supplement has 15 calories.

I'm a RN, and I don't EVER recommend fiber TABLETS. I've seen 5 ot 6 bowel obstructions from them. I do add my powder fiber when I do my protein drinks, but that's mixed with a drink .... so PLENTY of fluids.

I think it may be more than you hit that plateau that we all hit... Try upping your exercise time.... :-) It will finally start dropping again....
  • clrrrr
    Options
    Oh! Okay, that's all very good to know. I've been hovering around 40g for the past week or so, supplement-free. And VERY good to know about powder vs. tablets...eek.
  • pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    Options
    I have always had "issues" in this area / topic. :-/ I recently discovered Acidopholis Bifidius (got it at Henrys - whole foods store) and it works miracles. It's a probiotic that helps me. I also will drink Psyillium Husks on weeks that there's little to no movement but the Acidopholis capsuls are much more pleasant.