Raising Children with Healthy Habits

Options
Hey all! I'm a 28 year old woman who's lost 45 pounds very slowly over the last two years. (I'm down to 235 from 280.) I'm currently pregnant (start of 2nd trimester) and so I'm not currently trying to lose anything- and will probably gain 15-25 pounds over the next 6 months. I'm watching what I eat and eating healthy foods to try to keep that number low.

I've been thinking a lot about the food and exercise habits we learn in childhood since finding out that there's a baby on the way (my first). My mom suffered from an eating disorder (bulimia) when she was young, and has eaten in a disordered way her whole life. I learned many of those habits from her. I never really learned what it meant to feel hungry or full, but I just ate second and third helpings at every meal. I also liked to eat in secret- and I would hide treats in my room to have after dessert. In addition, the food my family ate probably wasn't the best. A typical dinner was hamburger helper, corn, and slices of buttered bread. Breakfast was usually sugar cereal or 2-3 packets of the prepackaged sugary oatmeal. I ate lunch at school, but then I would snack on whatever I could find after school and before dinner. I weighed 100 pounds in kindergarten, and was up to 230 by high school.

When I moved out on my own for college and then grad school, I took all these eating habits with me, and got up to 280. Once I graduated and got married, I found MFP, and started working out and counting calories. One thing that really helped a lot was doing a Whole30. It really helped me reevaluate my eating habits and made me realize that the foods I eat, and the amounts in which I eat them have a profound effect on how I feel. In the past year, I've realized that I only like to eat if I'm satisfying hunger. Otherwise, it's not enjoyable.

All this is to say that I am in a good place mentally now, and will be able to continue to lose weight post partum. However, it took me a long time and a lot of reflection to get into the mindset I'm in now.

I really don't want my future little one to have to go through as much as I did to have a healthy relationship with food. I would prefer that he or she make healthy food choices most of the time from the get go. I don't want him or her to struggle with weight, or to eat for comfort. What can I do as a mother to instill healthy eating habits and to teach a good relationship with food? I have some thoughts, but I'd like to hear what you all think.

Thanks for reading! :)

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    No clue if I'm getting it right, but we push variety.

I keep healthy and junky snacks around and try to encourage the kid to get something healthier if she already had something junky.

Don't know if we are hitting 80% better food/ 20% not so good, that is the idea though.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss and your pregnancy! I really commend you for worrying about your child's health. The food environment in the US is really unhealthy, and kids are easy and highly sought targets of soda and snack companies. Look at all the sugary cereals and high-calorie fast food spots that are marketed right to young children. It's alarming! I think you are a wonderful parent to be concerned about how to teach your baby to be a healthy eater.

I think the most important thing you can do as a parent is set an example for your kids. Kids imitate their parents. If you're eating chips and ice cream and drinking soda all the time, kids are going to want it too. If you're having salads with your meals and keep lots of fruit on the table for snacks, kids will want to have those things as well. Remember, as a parent, you control the food in the house. Buy low-calorie, natural foods; eschew keeping many bags of potato chips and boxes of cookies around all the time.

I'd also recommend engaging your kids in cooking meals. I think this is a really big problem in the US--so many people have no idea how to cook. Even young kids can help you pick out pots and pans, grab cans out of the pantry, or "wash" fruit and veg. As your child grows older, you can give them more and more responsibility in weighing out food, carrying dishes to the table, and of course washing up. Show your kids that cooking is natural and necessary, and you will instill some great habits early on.

I noticed you also wrote you don't want your child to learn to eat for comfort, and I also think that's a key issue. A lot of people stress eat or binge eat to relax feelings of tension, anger, or fear. I definitely have a stress reaction; as soon as something goes wrong my immediate impulse is to eat, eat, eat! I think the key here is to teach your child healthy ways of handling emotions. That's a really tricky topic and definitely not something that I can give you a lot of advice on. I'd look for books and maybe your pediatrician to give you guidance on teaching your kids how to express emotions in healthy and productive ways--not by grabbing fistfuls of hershey kisses and downing a 2 liter of Gatorade.

It is a real battle out there to protect your kids from predatory marketing. I don't know how much you can hide them away from commercials and peer pressure. Everywhere you look, there are billboards and popstars and cartoons and friends pushing sodas, cookies, cheese crackers, and sweets that have nominal nutrition but tons of calories. You have to play defense, and I think the best way is to have a very strong home base full of produce and home-cooked meals.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster--your example will be very important. Our children watch everything we do, even if we don't think so. However, you also can't isolate children from the world around them. It's up to you to guide them through, explaining what treats are, in what occasion they are appropriate, and how much is allowed. It's hard to be a parent--sometimes it takes years to find out that they really were listening.
  • wheeee123
    wheeee123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    meryl135 wrote: »
    Congrats on your pregnancy! I think the best way to ensure your children have a good relationship with food is to model one for them. And it sounds like you have already made some significant changes to the way you eat, so that will in itself be a great example for your children.

Other than that, the baby-led weaning movement looks promising as a way to introduce your children to textures, colours and flavours that traditional "first solids" are often missing. Some research has suggested that the taste/texture preferences we establish as infants carry through to adulthood. Check out http://www.babyledweaning.com/ for more information.

Thanks for your post! I hadn't thought about introducing solid foods yet (I've got a few months to go) but I really like the idea of baby-led feeding.

• wheeee123
    Options
    At a park, I saw a mom putting dr. pepper in a baby bottle.
    Please do not be that type of mom...

But what about Mountain Dew? :wink:

Just kidding, of course. Hubby and I don't drink soda and choose our sugar carefully.

• wheeee123
    Options
    KThompson- thank you for that really thoughtful post. I agree as well that the example we set for our kids is super important. I learned my bad habits at home and they were hard to break.

I'm looking forward to cooking with my little one too- just as soon as he or she is old enough!

And I think Hubby and I will have to be careful about what we bring into the house and what we put on our own plates.

Snowflake, the concept of treats will be an important one, you're right! Ice cream and cookies and cake will always be appealing , but if my little one learns how to enjoy them appropriately, then I will consider myself successful!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy! I was diagnosed with anorexia when I was 12. My first inpatient stay was at 13, and I struggled into my early 20’s. It’s never something I’ve gotten over…it’s always with me. My family was very healthy eaters. We were dirt poor, so everything was made from scratch and we had lots of fruits and veggies (my mom would work at an orchard to be paid in food). Even with healthy food choices being my only choice, I still fell into a trap of an eating disorder. My husband also struggled for years with bulimia. Both of us now are very healthy eaters, and although we both have this demon in our heads, it is something we both know how to control, and now that we have a 20-month old, we both know how important teaching her self-love is – regardless of what she chooses to eat. We both love cooking and we are very adventurous with food, and you won’t find very many packaged products in our house, because we love scratch cooking. Our daughter is still quite adventurous with food, but she hasn’t been given anything processed as of yet. I am well aware that all toddlers go through a phase of being very picky, and I’m just counting our blessings that we haven’t gotten to that point yet. There have been times where she looks at food we give her and turns her nose up, but as soon as she sees us enjoying it, she cleans her plate! I think leading by example is your best bet to instill those good eating habits. You cannot control if/when they decide to be picky, but there is always a healthier alternative to everything. As adults, we can fit anything we want into our macros with proper portion control. I don’t believe in “bad” foods for adults, but I do believe that there are foods children shouldn’t be consuming on a regular basis (treat days are great though!). Best of luck with your pregnancy, and good luck with motherhood!
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You've received some really great advice thus far - especially about the Diet Dr. Pepper. :smile:

My kiddo just turned 2, and I am fairly certain we have entered the picky eater phase. She will eat everything in sight, but she is a carb queen and a cheese fiend, so we have to find ways to make sure we sneak in some protein and something green once in a while.

A few things we do:
    - Reintroduce, reintroduce, reintroduce. I get frustrated with her grandparents when they say things like, "But she doesn't like green beans." She's two. She doesn't know if she likes green beans. And guess what? She does so like green beans.
    - Be patient and kind. DH and I both grew up in households where we were expected not to waste food and if we refused food, it was rude. So, we praise her when she eats well and we try to stay patient with her. Instead of saying, "Finish your food", we ask her to take one more bite of the nutritious thing so she can have another bite of the thing she wants. Maybe not the best method, but it ties back in to the reintroduction thing.
    - I of course second including your kiddo in cooking, but we like to educate her in the grocery store and our garden, too. I let her pick which bananas she wants and we name things in the produce section. We talk about what we're going to cook with the ingredients we pick and how yummy it's going to taste. And then she gets to go in the garden with daddy and pick veggies and eat cherry tomatoes right off the vine. Good stuff.

Congrats on your pregnancy - they're a lot of work but they're also so much fun.
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congrats! My daughter has sensory processing disorder, as a toddler she HATED the texture of fruit. Her physical therapist suggested we cut the foods differently each time and just keep giving them to her. For example, she wouldn't eat baby carrots or diced carrots but loved matchstick carrots. She also disliked strawberries but if I sliced them she loved them. So my suggestion is not to be one of those parents who say "my kid just doesn't like veggies ". Keep giving them fruits and veg anyway, roast, grill, season the veggies differently and you will eventually find something they like.
    I also don't label food as "good" or "bad". My daughter is six now, we do call fast food "junk" but I add that it does taste good, so it's a once in a while food.
    The biggest thing is just to model a good relationship with food. It sounds like you are already doing well in that area. Let them see you drink lots of water. When your child gets older take them to farmers markets, let them choose the veggies you are going to have for dinner, let them help prep and cook.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    You've had some great advice here. I would absolutely echo the modeling idea. Our children eat healthy now because a health crisis forced us into a lifestyle change when they were tiny. Almost done raising 3 now and as I look back the one thing I would change - do not use baby food. I found that with the kids I gave real food to (just pureed it well with liquid) and did not do baby food they were way more open to eating anything I put in front of them. Give whole foods as much as possible. We try to eat a 85/15 diet. 85 whole and healthy with 15 treats, etc. When we changed our diet from SAD to healthy we talked to and taught our kids that we wanted them to be healthy (not weight related) and to do so meant eating foods in their natural state as much as possible while enjoying the once in awhile treat. By doing this for years on end I have found that now our kids don't have a huge desire for garbage, but they like a treat once in awhile. Their bodies actually don't react well when they eat crap so they became self regulating as teenagers because they know processed crap (and fast food) was going to make them feel bad physically. So make their diet about health (as opposed to weight) and you'll do great.

Congrats on the pregnancy! Children are a huge blessing!
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    do not use baby food.

Have to agree. It's not necessary, especially if you go with baby-led weaning. My first, I home-made pureed food. Then we had the difficulty of moving from liquid food to solids. By the time I had my fourth, I just put the same food that we were eating in front of her and let her chew it as she wanted to. Carrot sticks, chopped up food but always what we had. So much easier! I never purchased pots of manufactured baby food - most of it is rubbish anyway (speaking as a health professional) and so expensive.

My children have access to cakes etc but most of the time they'll choose fruit and vegetables over cakes and sweets, which is just what I wanted to achieve. I never buy fast food as it's just not healthy and it costs too much. If we want burgers, or hot dogs, I make them at home. My children generally eat a wide variety of food although one of my sons has a fear of any green vegetables but we are working on that one.

I do have to say though, if i was to give advice about starting early with healthy eating and nutrition, it would be to breastfeed your baby.

Hope you have a great pregnancy, and congratulations!

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My opinion - it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing. Kids who grow up deprived of junk can end up 'making up' for it when they leave the home... Kids who can have whatever can end up just eating whatever they want anytime... it's just a crap shoot, IMO.

I was one of those moms who tried to make my own baby food... kids wouldn't touch it. Then I made sure to give them some veggies with their meals... they always ended up in the trash. You just can't force a toddler to eat what they don't want to eat. The only thing that ended up working for us was doing what I swore I'd never do - bribe them with dessert (like a 40 calorie popsicle) if they ate their veggies. But now they eat them (mostly) and sometimes even take seconds...

My kids eat plenty of junk and I let them have crackers/cookies/goldfish as snacks but if they're still hungry after, I just make sure that they eat something healthier (cheese stick or fruit, really). They won't eat anything fancy at lunch so it's often chicken nuggets with fruit or a cookie (or some kind of sandwich with fruit and a cookie). I let them order whatever they want when we go out and they stuff their face with soda and popcorn at movies and candy during the Holidays. So basically... everything in moderation and enjoy your Holidays. Obviously dinners are typically pretty balanced though as I never have many calories left for it anyway... but I guess twice a week (leftovers days) I let them have what they want (but worst case it's a sandwich or pasta with cheese).

And despite everything, my son often sneaks in the kitchen after dinner to take some crackers or cookies. Seriously, you just can't win. He can't sit in place though so he's always fidgeting and is a great weight... but yeah. So despite my good intentions, we still have issues!

Oh and the 'not labeling foods as bad' thing? The school took care of it for us. My thin 8yo daughter is now telling me that some things have too many calories - and almost none of the girls ate cake at her birthday party. I tell her that she really doesn't have to worry about it but what can you do...
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Kids eat what we eat. That's the simplest way to view it. You already know it based on your own story. If you are making and eating balanced meals they will learn to eat them. They will hate some things and love others you can't predict which will be which. And so long as over a week things are somewhat balanced don't sweat things meal by meal.

I will say that IME puréed soups over rice will get almost all vegetables into toddlers. Spinach "cream" soup where the cream is a potato is my best example. Evil grin. My kids at 11 and 7 still love that kind of soup. Like "lick the bowl" love it.

They also love salmon. Because we've fed it to them forever. You get the idea.

When they do spring up with odd pickiness the cure of cooking with me always cures it. It's funny how owning the meal and the pride in that outweighs the fact that someone (whistles) put zucchini in the turkey burgers and they are green!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The biggest gift you can give your children is to quietly (and seriously) fix you and model healthy behavior. That means getting the help you need by way of support and counseling and then being a roll model for your children. Don't talk about your problems incessantly, or down yourself, in front of them or look to them for support. If you do not fix you then it is very likely that these issues will continue to the next generation (this is very common with families). Break the cycle.

As for what you can teach, again model it for them. Cook at home, make sure you prepare well balanced meals, and teach moderation by serving moderate portions and limiting treats without demonizing them. This isn't any easier than any other part of parenting, so I'm sure there's a healthy range of behaviors and lessons, but just don't forget to enjoy food and celebrations such as birthdays and holidays.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I worry a lot about this with my own children, too. I don't know if I am doing it right, either, but one of the things I am big on is not forcing my kids to eat when they say they aren't hungry. I make a balanced meal for the whole family, and if they choose not to eat, that's their choice. If they don't eat, though, they don't get any snacks or other food until the next meal. I also don't force them to eat certain quantities of food because I want them to use hunger as their cue. This has always been the rule at our house, so our kids know that you eat when its meal time if you are hungry.

I don't give my kids soda or juice except for as a treat. They drink water or milk with meals, and they can have water whenever they are thirsty.

I think it's really important to give kids a variety if you want them to eat a variety of foods. I know parents who say, "Oh, she'll only eat peanut butter and jelly." Then when their child refuses to eat whatever is served, they whip out a pb & j. The child won't "only eat peanut butter and jelly" - the parents have taught her that she'll get her favorite sandwich if she refuses to eat anything else! I'd eat nothing with pepperoni pizza if one would magically appear at every meal! :)

• Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I did baby led weaning with my son, and breastfeeding on demand for the first year. After that, he was old enough in my opinion to understand when I told him to wait a little bit to nurse.

He turned 2 in April, and is a spectacular eater, though that could be just his personality. I cook once or twice a day, involve him in food selection and preparation, and continue to offer foods that he's previously rejected. He never has to eat what I offer, but by now I encourage him to at least try foods. I help him with using spoons if he asks, but otherwise I've always just put food in front of him and let him go at it. I didn't give him junk food when we started, but as he got older I've slowly let him have small amounts. I don't want him to see these as nutritious food, or eat them frequently, but I think if I forbid them he'll just want them more.

I agree that the most important thing you can do is create your own healthy relationship with food and model good eating habits. Kids pick up on what we don't say much more than what we do say.
  • wheeee123
    Options
    Wow! I am completely blown away by all of the wonderful advice on here. Thank you to everyone who responded.

I absolutely plan to breastfeed, although I know that it doesn't always work out for every mom who'd like to do that.

I also will try baby-led weaning when the time comes so that my little one develops a taste for homemade food and can join us for meal times.

I'm also going to lead by example. My hubby and I already keep healthy food in the house (fruit, vegetables, cheese sticks) and like to cook balanced meals at home- so we'll keep those habits going.

Nobody has really talked about keeping kids active. Any advice on that front?
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    wheeee123 wrote: »

Nobody has really talked about keeping kids active. Any advice on that front?

LOL...no advice for you here. My toddler can't even sit still strapped in her high chair, so I haven't yet gotten to the point of needing help for that.