Do you find people fishing for compliments here?

Options
mom23nuts
mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
Didn't know where to put this.

Often times I think I am lending support for something legitimate, and then read through ALL of the comments and find that maybe the original post wasn't so genuine.

Do you find that people come here often with a legit issue or what you think is a legit issue like finding motivation, exercise, whatever but then you look at the comments generated and comments on their posted picture and then wonder if you doled out support for someone who was just fishing for compliments?

Ok for example, one guy said add me if you want friends and then we chatted and then after swapping stories and lifestyles and what is working and not working he mentioned he was going to shake things up by doing a cleanse. After saying "cool" in his eyes it signaled my interest so, he wanted to try and sell me the cleanse as a rep for the company. WTF?

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.. Your example does not sound like someone fishing for compliments, it sounds like someone trying to scam you which is totally lame, but does happen. You can report it.

As for the fishing for compliments portion of your post, yes it happens all the time, as it does in real life, but at the end of the day who really cares. You gave them good advice, maybe they will take it, or maybe they wont and were just looking for compliments. You obviously had the time to give or you wouldn't have given it, so why not just let it be, if you helped them, great, if not. Oh well.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    people are people and we like being worshiped, adored & validated once in a while or daily ...it depends

so yes , it happens a lot and i dont care

• mom23nuts
    Options
    I should have been clearer in my post sorry. Originally I was chatting with one woman about self image and she like she needed a way to end negative self talk and have a confidence boost and all the other comments were basing their advice on her picture, like "hubba hubba you look fine to me"

The other example was just adding friends like "feel free to add me if you are trying to lose weight in your 40s" and after chatting people up then I think that was that guy's way to network a large crowd of people into telling them about his cleanse he was going to try and if they did they could put his name in the order so he got credit or perk for selling the cleanse.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    If you don't want guys making advances, then don't add and refuse the friend request.

That was not it at all. it was the above sorry, I could have been clearer, but I had 2 examples going on and got them muddled when the fingers started typing.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    I'm confused.. Your example does not sound like someone fishing for compliments, it sounds like someone trying to scam you which is totally lame, but does happen. You can report it.

As for the fishing for compliments portion of your post, yes it happens all the time, as it does in real life, but at the end of the day who really cares. You gave them good advice, maybe they will take it, or maybe they wont and were just looking for compliments. You obviously had the time to give or you wouldn't have given it, so why not just let it be, if you helped them, great, if not. Oh well.

Sorry should have been clearer, there was a mix up. One woman I thought I was helping just chat about body image issues and then looked at posters comments like "hubba Hubba" and I thought, "wait, was she just hoping for a look at my picture give me a boost moment while I was giving her legit advice?"

The other example was an "add me if you need to lose weight and you are in your 40s" general all call for friends. That was the guy that seemed to do that to reach a large audience to try and sell his cleanse to.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You'll like some people and others not so much. Some are honest, some are dishonest, and many are somewhere in between. Some need compliments all the time, and others only occasionally or not at all. Some are fake, some are so out there you wonder if they have Tourette's. Some are happy and some are sad . . .

meh - you get this, right?
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i don't find that it happens any more here than in real life.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    I just feel like an idiot on both occasions. The woman was on the motivation and support section and the other guy was in like the first section like New to Here looking for friends.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    There's this really cool word. Not everyone listens to it or acts on it when they hear it, but they definitely should. It also shouldn't be used often when it's not meant sincerely. That said, it's hard to object to someome advancing if you don't use it, unless of course they're in a position to read your mind, or you give them a nonverbal answer (rather difficult to do on social media though). Given that there are a good number of people on here who either don't know how to use it, or don't seem to understand what it means, or stop when it's used, it's "no." One syllable. The link to the definition is below.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/no

There's even a catchy little tune by that name. My daughters know it my heart.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMTAUr3Nm6I
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    There's this really cool word. Not everyone listens to it or acts on it when they hear it, but they definitely should. It also shouldn't be used often when it's not meant sincerely. That said, it's hard to object to someome advancing if you don't use it, unless of course they're in a position to read your mind, or you give them a nonverbal answer (rather difficult to do on social media though). Given that there are a good number of people on here who either don't know how to use it, or don't seem to understand what it means, or stop when it's used, it's "no." One syllable. The link to the definition is below.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/no

There's even a catchy little tune by that name. My daughters know it my heart.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMTAUr3Nm6I

I get it, it's just crappy it was a sales pitch disguised as a friend request with plenty of weight loss support legitimate enough until it became a sales pitch.